That Panther 'X' logo is UGLY!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    ironkneeironknee Posts: 76member
    i hope it's going to change...besides the gloss on metal thing...it's a strange X...no logic to it since it's not even apple's new font Myriad. Myriad is SAN serif...this has some crazy serif that makes the X look distorted...just a thought...everything eles was amazing
  • Reply 22 of 52
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    First off: OMG! (excuse me, this is my first reaction). AI's collective wet dream just came through.

Then, in keeping with this thread, panther does seem to become what I feared a few months ago:

• Reply 23 of 52
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

And people say that the new G5 cases are ugly... look at . this! I can't understand why Apple made the X so repulsive. I was expecting something like the OS X Server logo...this is atrocious.

i like it alot, the logo that is. i hate the new case design but of course i will buy one one day
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Yeah geez to hell with apple - I'm off to wintel. They suck I hate the logo, I hate the way the G5 looks. What?!?!! No second drive enclosure?!!? Geez man that G5 sucks ass. horrible..... The keynote was terrible! no powerbooks?! This sucks. Awful. Pathetic

Gimme a break guys....
  • Reply 25 of 52
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

If I recall correctly, the original 'X' was based on a font (Garamond?) Now that Apple's using...errr...that other font...

"Apple Garamond", or ITC Garamond, it's the same thing. The new font is Adobe Myriad, which is a second rate copy of Frutiger (which is a much, much better face).

The new "X" is none of these though.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

If it wasn't so squat and glossy, I might have some respect for it. But the freaking lines aren't even paralell! [sic?]

It's an optical compensation. If the lines were parallel you'd notice it even worse.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    chopper3chopper3 Posts: 293member
    Sorry to bore you all, but it's clearly a play on the whole Malcolm X/Black Panther logo - if not from those times then certainly from the Spike Lee film.

That is all.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

You guys are on dope!

Everything Apple unveiled today was gorgeous and inspiring and, IMO, dead-on where it should be, design-wise.

I was more than impressed!

Right there with ya. The towers are pure bliss to me. I love the industrial look, my studio has flares of metal and this tower will compliment my theme Not to mention it's just bad ass looking.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

Quote:

Originally posted by job

If I recall correctly, the original 'X' was based on a font (Garamond?) Now that Apple's using...errr...that other font..

"Apple Garamond", or ITC Garamond, it's the same thing. The new font is Adobe Myriad, which is a second rate copy of Frutiger (which is a much, much better face).

The new "X" is none of these though.

While my favourite ?X? is the blue Apple Garamond one, and my favourite enclosure the B&W ?El Capitan?, the all new ones are not all that unaesthetic. They simply express different things than fun and colours. Now, it's more about mean, aggressive, implacable, industrial, heavy-duty metallurgy.

Which in itsef is not such a bad thing, one can easily get used to this.

I'm at aloss as to which typeface Panther's ?X? might belong, perhaps none.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    The new X logo is horrible... confirmed
  • Reply 31 of 52
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Sigh. I like the logo: it is of course representative of where Apple is going: Trendy business.

The old X logo looked nice. It was beautiful. But it says "I'm better than you." Old men on BoD's don't like that.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

Sigh. I like the logo: it is of course representative of where Apple is going: Trendy business.

The old X logo looked nice. It was beautiful. But it says "I'm better than you." Old men on BoD's don't like that.

You have a point...

I personally don't like the logo, but I can get used to it, I suppose. But the new Finder icon/logo must go...it's looks like a botched plastic surgery.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

And people say that the new G5 cases are ugly... look at . this! I can't understand why Apple made the X so repulsive. I was expecting something like the OS X Server logo...this is atrocious.

Then go get linux Yellow Dog Linux if your that upset
  • Reply 34 of 52
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chopper3

Sorry to bore you all, but it's clearly a play on the whole Malcolm X/Black Panther logo - if not from those times then certainly from the Spike Lee film.

Good point well put, I was wondering why Apple might have chosen to make the logo look like it does for Panther, the Jaguar logo fit with the name and the blue X logo fit with the introduction of Aqua. So where does the metallic metal fit?

- Malcolm X Black Panther logo and also the finder having been 'metalicised' (or whatever the term is for when Apple put that sheen on their apps).

IMHO The logo isn't as good as the Jaguar logo was when it came out, but I mean it's just an X. It's like somebody changed the happy mac logo again (anybody know if the startup sequence has been changed in Panther?)
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by dnisbet

So where does the metallic metal fit?

New metal cases.

New metal Finder.

New metal X logo.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

New metal cases.

New metal Finder.

New metal X logo.

yeah that was my point
  • Reply 37 of 52
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    I never, ever liked the Jaguar icon. It looked way too FRIENDLY to me. I'm sure glad it's gone!

• Reply 38 of 52
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    i think i like the new one better than this

• Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by dnisbet

yeah that was my point

Whoops! I see that now. I blame the poor reading comprehension on speed deprivation.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    the 10.3 X has no personality.

Its bulky, big, un-sexy... totally geared to a Business audience.

Heck, the whole integrated Fax, Secure Directory, Multipass Trash (to make sure those accounting files REALLY wont get in the hands of the SEC), VPN, Active Directory support, etc etc etc is a BLATANT Apple move into the Business/Corporate/SME/SoHo/Governmental market.

In a way, Im glad because market share is SHRINKING and something has to be done.

Lets hope for the best and hope that a consumer / pro-sumer line with more curves and "sex-appeal" appear soon...