i'm not very pleased, i hope you can make it look the old way

and for my finder i really don't want brushed metal

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Moving to OSX.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Most often heard reaction: it looks like XP. (even by people who don't really know what they are looking at - i.e. the new finder -)
  • Reply 3 of 42
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    yeah definatly i am not very pleased...i guess perhaps i'll like it once i use it though...\

i am happy about panther though it seems nice in overall
  • Reply 4 of 42
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    For f*cks sake.... this is getting ridiculous. Go to resexcellence.com if you don't like it. I'm sure there'll be some kind of utility to change it. I suppose you use Netscape because Safari offends you?

• Reply 5 of 42
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

For f*cks sake.... this is getting ridiculous. Go to resexcellence.com if you don't like it. I'm sure there'll be some kind of utility to change it. I suppose you use Netscape because Safari offends you?

akumulator, watch it. his comments did not require that kind of retort. disagree is fine, but keep the degree in line with the statement your countering.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    I think Apple knows what they are doing with the new Finder. Countless times I have run into troubles with the current Finder's column view to which I could not think of a better way to go about what I was doing. I think this new XP-like way could be the answer.

I can't wait to try it out!
  • Reply 7 of 42
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    true true. I didn't mean to single him out...... There's just a high volume of complaints today. And complaining about the finder is just a little absurd. But, what do I care really. Sorry man....
  • Reply 8 of 42
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    thanks rok

Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

true true. I didn't mean to single him out...... There's just a high volume of complaints today. And complaining about the finder is just a little absurd. But, what do I care really. Sorry man....

no i understand i'm not complaining just because its brushed metal...that would be rediculous, i am just not sure i like the way its set up...although i agree i'll have to use it beforei can say anythign definitive
  • Reply 9 of 42
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I didn't get to catch this part of the keynote replay... from the page that I saw at Apple.com, it doesn't seem radically different... the items from the toolbar shifted over to the left, to me it makes more sense, esp. if the icons/text resize the way I'm thinking it would after adding several favs. If I have my favorites over in the bottom part of that left panel, then instead of two actions currently (clicking on favorites button in the toolbar, then clicking on a folder in the favs)... just one action in Panther that's already visually available on-screen.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Funny how we've had iTunes, iPhoto and now Safari and the Panther Finder with this lefthand "source" column, and only when they use in the Finder does it become "Windows-like." I was hoping the lefthand column worked like a shelf, but it works like a toolbar or Dock instead. \ I think it has a lot of promise, and with the "real" search tools now, it feels like a real finder, and less like a browser now. I just wish they would add a saved search feature!

PS: Oh, and change the damn icon.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    The icons in the left column resize as needbe if you resize the finder window. This alone is a huge improvement over the current Finder, because as I'm sure many of you know your Finder windows must be at least as wide as your row of icons in the Finder toolbar in order to see them all at once. Considering the search field is also part of the toolbar in pre-Panther versions, a single Finder window can easily start to push the edges of the screen on a 1024x768 monitor, depending on the number of items in your toolbar. This will obviously be remedied with the new Finder window layout in Panther.

What I'm most excited about is the new Open/Save dialog boxes in Panther. They are a huge improvement over what we currently have. Well, most excited about second to Exposé

And if brushed metal drives you crazy, please don't knock it 'till you try it. I've been using Max Themes brushed metal theme for several weeks now, and I absolutely love it, which is totally contrary to how I thought I'd feel about an all-out brushed metal interface. Give it a try!
  • Reply 12 of 42
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Wink wink: WHine whine whine

Shuddup and do your work or play yer flipping games.

wink wink.

This "aesthetic" debate is soooooo trivial. I know you guys just can't live without something to complain about, but geez, the color of the UI elements??

But I like the new Finder lots more than the one that is slow and always flipping me the spinning finger of death.

arg. Now Rok is going to chastise me. Whee.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Good point about the current Finder toolbar. It does hold a motley crew of stuff right now, and separating locations from tools is a Good Thing?. Considering that the Panther finder's toolbar has the customize widget (and I'm guessing it uses a real sheet to do its thing), I'm betting there are more tools available up there.

The new open/save dialogs will make a lot of peoplehappy, simply because they can use list view. We didn't see how they collapse though, and the only reason I bring that up is the way the forward/back and view buttons are lined up with the favorites pop-up, makes me wonder what happens to these things when only the name and location fields are showing. There's no apparent "add to favorites" button in the save dialog either, so how would you add a location to that pop-up?

There's a TON of security/privacy features added to Panther in general. I think Apple is tarketing MS in this area, going after their big weak spot and leveraging the real strength of unix. I'm not quite clear on the whole FileVault, and whether it's some framework that the Finder links to or what. But who knew that when we asked for encryption in the Finder, we wouldn't want to do it manually each time?
  • Reply 14 of 42
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

arg. Now Rok is going to chastise me. Whee.

hey, i'm better than some around these parts. and cut me a little slack -- i've been packing for my big international road trip with the in-laws for the past week. you'd be cranky, too.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    i like the new finder alot...it looks nice, customizable, and FAST!
  • Reply 16 of 42
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chef ramen noodle

i like the new finder alot...it looks nice, customizable, and FAST!

When Jobs was showing Panther, what system was he using? Anybody know? If it was on a current model G4, then yeah, I'd say it's very fast.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

no i understand i'm not complaining just because its brushed metal...that would be rediculous,

However, I am complaining about the new finder because it's brushed metal. My complaint is not ridiculous. Slapping the obnoxious brushed metal inerface on anything that moves is ridiculous!

I sure hope brushed metal will be an appearance option, just like "Blue" and "Graphite" are in Jaguar! I don't like hacks, and would rather not use one, especially for the Finder.

Escher

(Boy, I'm turning into a little Matsu clone. )
  • Reply 18 of 42
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh dear god no... if you did that, we'd just shoot you to put us all out of our collective misery.

I'm not exactly thrilled with the new Finder... BUT...

Think of it this way. It's yet another move towards rich metadata.

Why? Because between source/favorites and fast search... *you don't care where anything is in the file system*. The whole concept of a spatial finder is blown out the window because *it doesn't matter*.

Saved live searches (Smart Playlists, etc) then become our 'folders', but instead of being a one-to-one mapping, it's a one-to-many, with various keyword and metadata associations being the norm.

Still not sure I like the UI. Love the conceptual move however.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Metal is in. Take the hardware for example. It actually matches now (almost)!

• Reply 20 of 42
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    I don't care if the new Finder design is somewhat XP-esque. I am looking forward to it's benefits. I am disappointed that it has a Metal appearance. I would have prefered Aqua, but then again we don't live in a perfect world.

I am most looking forward to Expose. I should now be able to view all of my open Apps without having to minimize the windows