What now for Apple?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    A couple of PC friends who have never like Apple products have started to come around since the introduction of the white iBooks and FP iMac.

Yet they still perceive Macs are only for graphic designers with limited software.

I don't know how to get the masses enlightened. I mean Apple is doing it's part by getting their stuff shown in movies and TV. Celebrities are for the most part Apple fans. Maybe it time to resurrect that old promotion of test driving a Mac for free.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I don't know how to get the masses enlightened. I mean Apple is doing it's part by getting their stuff shown in movies and TV.

How, exactly, in the hell is THAT "doing their part"?

"Hey, let's get Sandra Bullock to use a Mac in this one scene here...that's our marketing for the year. Great job guys, raise a glass!"

That's NOT "doing their part". "Doing their part" would be creating campaigns - print and broadcast - that directly addressed these issues and knocked them out of the park and making it to where if someone didn't buy a Mac, it was simply based on personal preference or other subjective reasons, and not ignorance, baseless myths, lack of knowledge about what platform is about and what it can do, etc.

If Apple was truly doing all it could in this area and we were still hovering around 3-5%, then it wouldn't bother me. I'd just say "well, people know...I guess they're just not interested. No big deal...".

But to hover around those numbers while Apple does next-to-nothing in this regard really gets my goat. All this great stuff, and most people simply don't know. Ask around if you don't believe me. Ask co-workers, classmates, neighbors, etc.

• Reply 23 of 30
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Wow, did this thread evar start of wrong.

Won't take price as an answer????

PRICE PRICE PRICE!!!

They still lack one decent consumer desktop offering. All are grossly overpriced.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
  • Reply 25 of 30
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I still think my reasons trump yours, Matsu...only because of this: say Apple DID come out with a $799 kick-ass, exapandable "mini tower" or lowered the iBooks and iMacs another $200-400.

Who would know? Based on prior history, would they even do anything to make sure "the masses" knew about it? Probably not.

If Apple unveiled a $499 iCube tomorrow with amazing graphics, I/O, cool design we here (and the Mac community in general) would be the only ones cooing over it.

All the "lower prices" in the world ain't gonna matter if you average-PC-user-on-the-street or typical soccer mom isn't truly aware of what Apple does or has to offer, or even gives them serious consideration in their list of brands to investigate.

Hell, Apple could GIVE Macs away and most people - besides us, the already faithful - wouldn't know or care or even be aware of it. And even then, because of the myths and outright bullcrap floating around - they'd question "should I even get this...I know it's free, but my brother-in-law says they can't get on the Internet and that they've filed for bankruptcy...".

Wait...

• Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

How, exactly, in the hell is THAT "doing their part"?

"Hey, let's get Sandra Bullock to use a Mac in this one scene here...that's our marketing for the year. Great job guys, raise a glass!"

I'm not saying that Apple has been successful but at least have made an attempt at getting exposure in different ways. Their ad campaigns have been pretty feeble (perhaps things will change with the G5's).

But don't discount the placement of Apple products in movies. Especially if you're trying to reach the general masses who hang on every word of the latest celeb. Nike didn't get to where they are today without celebrity endorsement...and they don't even make that good of a product.

As someone else pointed out, it's about making it Apple products available. Sure someone will see an ad or billboard, but they're not able to pick one up at the local BestBuy or Sears.

Obviously, the real answer is price but the original post didn't want to go there.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    In PC history, all of the low end PC manufacturers have gone out of business. Remember Packard Bell? They were once the largest seller of PC compatible computers. How did they get that way? Price. Why aren't they still #1? Price. You sell you products on a small margin and you have to cut corners. You don't have that money for Support, or R&D. Your customers remember what a crappy product you sold them and opt for something of better quality the next time around.

Apple should be marketing their products as the Lexus of computers. Look how good they look, work, etc. Sick of your crappy PC always telling you "out of memory" when you want to make a CD Video of your kids, get a Mac.

Honestly, I think the best advertising they ever did was opening the stores... I wonder if they are doing it at a loss or if they are making money... But nothing gets the product into the hands of the customer like that store.

Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Obviously, the real answer is price but the original post didn't want to go there.

• Reply 28 of 30
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Well, there may just be a problem Apple can not easily overcome:

Windows users are just content with what they have. WinXP does not hurt like Win3.1 did, PCs today no longer cause the pain they did in the times of the AT-bus.

So, the percentage of would-be switchers might not be awfully high because people just come along with their el-cheapo Athlons and Windows XP home edition.

Apple could try to compete by price (Linux does this, and quite successfully lately), but I cannot see them doing it and surviving at the same time.

Apple could compete by ease-of-use, only that switchers know more or less to operate a wintel, so switching is not easier in the short term.

Or they could live happily in their high-price, high-design nieche like they do now.

If I were Apple, I'd try to conquer the edu-market at all costs, since people who learn MacOS at school are more likely to stick to MacOS later on...
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Microsoft is scared... sounds like they are going to be looking for new business direction

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...atoday/5320211
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jukebox Hero

Apple should be marketing their products as the Lexus of computers.

Unfortunately you can't have the best of both worlds. If you want market share, you can't position it as a Lexus. Just not enough people with that kind of money.

Apple just needs to be more competitive in price...not deep but adjust prices on some models. Keep the G4 Towers and discounting them further to attract PC users who are use to opening and tinkering with their boxes.