MW Tokyo Cancelled

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
FWIW----&gt;<a href="http://www.pcpro.co.uk/?http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/news_story.php?id=36100"; target="_blank">PCPro Article</a>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    IT'S THE END OF IT ALL!!
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Is this story legit? It's full of typos, and why would pcpro.co.uk carry the story instead of macuser.co.uk? Something about this smells fishy.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    ...or at least the Register

interesting that if you try to view the article twice they cancel your guest access and want you to sign up.

[ 12-05-2002: Message edited by: Bigc ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 32
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    It has been already mentioned <a href="http://www.macbidouille.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2002-12-03#4014"; target="_blank">here</a>.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    rooroo Posts: 162member
    nooo! say it ain't so! jack and i were planning to go too...
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Bump

Why is no one interested in this thread? This is HUGE news.

I still have yet to see any other news agency corroborate pcuser.co.uk. All the coverage from Macnn, Mac Observer, et al, is just links to the original story. eWeek, Wired and even MacCentral are silent on the issue. Why is no one following this up?
  • Reply 7 of 32
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    After the flower power and blue dalmation, it's best if Jobs just stay away from Tokyo for good.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Well let's play. This either means:

1) that the contention of the "Hardware/Software Blitz" thread was correct for MWSF

2) Apple will continue its new policy on non-expo debuts

3) Apple has nothing to showcase until Summer (WWDC or MWNY).

-OR-

4) Apple is cutting costs and a trip to Asia lost the lottery.

Screed

[ 12-05-2002: Message edited by: sCreeD ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Wired has <a href="http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,56731,00.html"; target="_blank">commented</a>.

The article is still only based on the original pcpro.co.uk story. Wired is NOT confirming and gives the impression it's still up in the air.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    -Deleted-

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: Not Unlike Myself ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Now it's <a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0212/05.macworld.php"; target="_blank">official</a>.

Wow. This is truly stunning to me. Bailing on Macworld New York/Boston 2003 I can kind of see since Paris is only six weeks later, but canceling Macworld Tokyo?

The Japanese market is huge for Apple and last year's show was a big success. Can the money saved from not exhibiting in this key market possibly be worth the bad press and bad vibes sure to come? I hope Steve knows what he's doing.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    This really does suck. MacWorld Tokyo was a great event for Mac people in Japan and gave Apple some good press. I suppose they must have thought it wasn't worth the money it cost, but it's too bad. I was planning on going next year. At least I made it last time.

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: icruise ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 32
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    I think it is sad. I don't understand Apple's focus on the US anyway... isn't Apple supposed to be a "Global player"?

I wonder how long Apple Expo Paris - Apple's only official European appearance - is left survive.

It seems they really have to cut costs. And cutting an Expo is better then freeing workforce - just think about the bad publicity that would generate.

They really have a hard stand against the WIntel crowd since they are the only Mac OS supplier and thus need to attend more shows to showcase the platform.

I would rather like to read a juicy rumor instead of facts like this.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Outside the US Apple's marketshare is non-existant. If their ability to compete on price is somewhat lacking in the US, it's even worse outside the US. Many companies adjust their margins to be slightly lower outside the US, or give, in effect, a slightly favorable currency exchange, Apple goes in the opposite direction, sometimes ridiculously so. With their stake in edu large but in serious decline, that leaves digital arts (mainly print) as their other core. Outside the very wealthy consumers of US, you won't see too many macs any more if current trends continue, certainly not in people's homes. Only Japan, with it's odd fascination for gadgetry had any hope of producing a US rivaling marketshare for Apple, and now they brush off that show too. I fully expect Apple's market-share outside the US to fall below 2% (if it's no there already).

What's more the rationale. Companies didn't sign up, we can assume that means Apple, but I wonder if the 3rd party ranks aren't shrinking aswell?

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Rather no MacWorld than a MacWorld like the one in Paris where all Steve had to show was flipping iCal. How embarrassing.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Outside the US Apple's marketshare is non-existant. ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, Apple has about 11-13% in the UK, which quite healthy. Much healthier on paper than the 5% in the USA.

But like all statistics, they're meaningless globally
  • Reply 17 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by Blackcat:

<strong>

Actually, Apple has about 11-13% in the UK, which quite healthy. Much healthier on paper than the 5% in the USA.

But like all statistics, they're meaningless globally </strong><hr></blockquote>

IS it that high? Really, that is an encouraging thought, though there's a lot of publishing out of the UK, and other computer brands seem to be quite expensive there aswell. Would you say 1 in 10 "consumers" use a mac?
  • Reply 18 of 32
    The Paris show is an AppleExpo (organized by Apple, itself, I believe) not a MacWorld (organized by IDG). It seems that the Tokyo cancellation might be more a dig at IDG rather than withdrawing from Japan (economic issues notwithstanding).

OTOH, perhaps Apple is angling for one Apple-centric show--MacWorld-SF, or, if they cut loose totally from IDG, Apple will have a World AppleExpo in SF.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    vvmpvvmp Posts: 63member
    I don't know if they already exist, but perhaps the plan is to open an Apple store in Japan, France..... and hold special intro events there in the place of a full blown show. This would perhaps not draw the same level of publicity as a MacWrld.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    In my country Singapore, you will find more macs in furniture shops.

the beautiful mac hardware makes the furniture looks good. However, outside the furniture shops, there are hardly any macs to be seen.

I estimate the number of mac users in Singapore to be 1%.

But one bright spot is that Apple has recently opened more apple centers in my country. I hope that will bring in more mac users.

However, the prices of the apple computers is easily 3 times more expensive than PCs.... and that is really discouraging many buyers...