edit: missed Scott's post.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Here I was thinking I missed yours
  • Reply 2 of 31
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    One down, Helms to go.

Maybe we should send that enforcer guy (noted below) to expedite the process.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    So what will Trent Lott say at the funeral?
  • Reply 4 of 31
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    When I heard about him in the news a few months ago, I was thinking to myself, "Jeez, he is old. He'll kick the bucket any minute."

It was weird, in my US History book, they talk about Strom Thurmond back in the 40's or 50's and it is like, "Wow, and he is still alive making news!" It is weird.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    One less Confederacy sympathizin', racist, Klan supportin' redneck.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    So no more of this?

What a sad day indeed
  • Reply 7 of 31
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    You callous bastards.

But yeah, my reaction was like, "Big loss."
  • Reply 8 of 31
    my only question is if he died before or after the supreme court's gay sex ruling. that might of killed him.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

You callous bastards.

I just wanted to repeat that. I didn't particularly like the man, but I'm really surprised no one has anything even remotely kind or atleast not mean to say (write). I'm sure his family is sad. Here's the best thing I can come up with: although with a bigoted agenda, atleast he stood up and tried to advance a cause he believed in. I have lost some respect for some of the members here in AO.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Some of the comments in this thread remind me of immature types who delight at a man receiving the death penalty.

I will say this. All the cold comments in the world you hurl at Strom or anyone else will not correct what it is of which you despise that they did in their life. What such comments will do is harden your own heart without many times you even knowing it.

Of course I don't like what Strom stood for and actually it sickened me very much. But..

He died \

I really appriciate the message of forgiveness Jesus teaches and practiced.

Fellowship
  • Reply 11 of 31
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

I really appriciate the message of forgiveness Jesus teaches and practiced.

That's a given, but other than that, I wonder about the relevance of this statement here... \
  • Reply 12 of 31
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

I just wanted to repeat that. I didn't particularly like the man, but I'm really surprised no one has anything even remotely kind or atleast not mean to say (write). I'm sure his family is sad. Here's the best thing I can come up with: although with a bigoted agenda, atleast he stood up and tried to advance a cause he believed in. I have lost some respect for some of the members here in AO.

So 30. april 1945 was a sad day too because we should all think of the family and on forgiveness and stuff?

Sorry but I don´t agree. He worked against everything I believe in and to have less of his kind on the earth is A Good Thing.

And on a general note: To mix this up with death penalty is so screwed as anything can be. I have strong beliefs on what is good for the society and what is not. One of those things are the that no man or society should take the life of another person. Thats even more importent to me than what I want to do against those I don´t like.

So nature did what I restrict myself to do. Hurray for nature
  • Reply 13 of 31
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Hmmm, he was a racist 50 years ago. You people are talking like he was a racist til the day he died.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Hang Thurmond.

Forgive Byrd.

Idiots.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Oh, I'm sad. I'm sad that it took a century to happen!!!! Grrrr.

Compare him and George Wallace. Wallace publicly and, I think, heartfelt-fully recanted his position. That helped heal. Having the Grand Dragon of Crackers in the Senate for decades didn't.

Screed
  • Reply 16 of 31
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Low-rent, graceless cretins here.

I wasn't too nuts about the man, but those of you practically dancing a jig at the news of his death would be the FIRST ones to rise up in anger and overwrought, righteous indignation if someone made callous, tacky comments at the death of Teddy Kennedy or Robert Byrd.

The 'rat is right: idiots. Double-standard draped ones, at that.

Glad I'm hanging out in General Discussion and Future/Current Hardware more these days. Air is a lot cleaner over there.

• Reply 17 of 31
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    So saying something like, "Only the good die young" would be inappropriate?

\
  • Reply 18 of 31
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Strom Thurmond is dead. I have no doubt the man did some good things in his life, but opposing civil rights wasn't one of them. One of the articles I read mentions that he "didn't protest too much, unlike some other Southern governors" when the FBI was sent in to enforce civil rights legislation. It also said that he was very good at bringing government money (aka pork barrel) into his state. If those are the best things you can say about anyone, how great was he?

And don't say that "at least he was strong in his beliefs." Consistency isn't worth much in itself, and it's actually a pretty heinous crime if you're consistent in denying the humanity of non-white races.

Maybe this is a bad time to bring it up, since he's dead, and we're not supposed to say anything bad about him, but...what was so great about Strom Thurmond?
  • Reply 19 of 31
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Glad I'm hanging out in General Discussion and Future/Current Hardware more these days. Air is a lot cleaner over there.

I sure see your point. You wouldn't believe the kind of name-calling some fellers indulge in. Take this for example:

Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Low-rent, graceless cretins here.

Air would be a lot cleaner with less of that, I agree completely.\
  • Reply 20 of 31
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

SMaybe this is a bad time to bring it up, since he's dead, and we're not supposed to say anything bad about him, but...what was so great about Strom Thurmond?

Well he supposedly had the largest dick in the Senate. And rumor has it that it was always erect. In fact, maybe he died because sodomy just became legal, and he was exercising his rights.

There was nothing great about him. But he wasn't a racist for the past at least 4 decades of his life, and some people seem to be suggesting that he was.

The US went through a bad time during the civil rights era, and a lot, maybe most of the South was on Strom Thurmond's side. He won a couple of states in the South as a presidential candidate on a segregationist platform. Later in his life he supported civil rights bills and the MLK holiday.