Best Buy to carry Apple computers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    not if it's anything like it was before.

strict orders to only talk about the hardware/software. in other words you get them all interested in buying a Mac, but then they have to talk to a BB rep to buy.

insert my above coments here. things would go straight to hell after that.
  • Reply 22 of 82
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Unless Apple can provide an incentive for Best Buy or anyone to push their machines, why should they be expected to do so? Seriously now.

The One Aisle concept is a great idea, and you staff it with an Apple rep, but is that enough? Mebbe enough to keep the section clean and respectable, and to keep the machines running well, but you still need an incentive for the sales people to actually give a turd.

The problem for me, if I were in sales, would be, how do I make the most money. So will argue about long term relationships, yadda yadda... that's pie in the sky to some kid who just wants to get the biggest bonus he can to pay for tuition, a weekend out, yadda yadda... Apple doesn't exactly treat it's smaller partners that well anyway. Reap what you sew.

If I'm on commision, I need margins, what do I get from selling a mac that my boss might make a 100 dollars on? I'd sell people whatever was best FOR ME, and fvck'em once they walk out of the place, then use the money to buy myself a mac, HA!

It seems the only thing that Apple can do is find a way to provide some monetary incentive for Best Buy and the like, AND their employees, to move macs, otherwise this retail soap opera will only continue. Today we carry macs, tommorow we don't, Today Apple makes new friends, tomorrow it's pulling its product from Best Buy's shelves. And so on, and so on.
  • Reply 23 of 82
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Timo

ugh, Best Buy. Yuck.

I agree. I mentioned before that putting Macs along side cheap, white, biege, boxy, spray painted PeeCees compares to selling Ferraris next to Kias...Apple never seems to learn from their previous mistakes.

ADVERTISE, EDUCATE AND AGAIN...ADVERTISE THEIR STORES!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 24 of 82
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Timo

ugh, Best Buy. Yuck.

I agree. I mentioned before that putting Macs along side cheap, white, biege, boxy, spray painted PeeCees compares to selling Ferraris next to Kias...Apple never seems to learn from their previous mistakes.

• Reply 25 of 82
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

Yeah, but if you could sell a Ferrari for $200 more than the Kia, people would buy the Ferrari. Yuck, the car analogy just gets lamer all the time.

My point is that if Apple wants to increase market share it has to go into a new market (like business) or make switchers out of old markets (like consumers or recently disenfrachised educators and creators). Apple's applications seem to be targeting creators (Shake) and educators (PowerSchool?) and the relatively "in the know" consumers (ichat AV, iMoview, etc.). They probably would go out of their way to go to an Apple store, but are those where the biggest market gains will come from?

I don't know. After the first new 5% gain in market share, the other 90% will come from Best Buys and Comp USA's. My experience at Fry's made me MUCH more encouraged than I ever thought possible about Macs in the same store with Sony's and HP's. It was a good experience, they were just out of Apple stock. Oh and there was no Apple presence in the pda section, nor the mp3 player section. The iPods were kept next to and largely hidden by the iBooks.
  • Reply 26 of 82
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yup we're getting a Best Buy right next to a frickin Staples. pscates I hear ya on that community service/pocket change. I might appyl there for a 3rd job. Cool beans if they do it right this time. Let's hope!
  • Reply 27 of 82
    appleluvaappleluva Posts: 26member
    Just FYI. Best Buy is retooling their site right now. My friend works at the store in Willow Grove and said the Macs are definitely coming in this week. Take that with a grain of salt though.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    If Best Buy can do half of what CompUSA has done to enhance the Mac experience, then there may be hope. My local BB seems to be low on stock these days. Traffic, except in the TV and audio areas seems much lower.... computer displays have large gaps between models. (Maybe they're getting ready for the Macs). Funny thing is that they are right across the street from CompUSA. A Circuit City is also nearby and of course they dropped Apple. Tomorrow I'm off to see the new Apple Store at the Towne Center in Boca Raton. Opens at 6 PM.
  • Reply 29 of 82
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

not if it's anything like it was before.

strict orders to only talk about the hardware/software. in other words you get them all interested in buying a Mac, but then they have to talk to a BB rep to buy.

insert my above coments here. things would go straight to hell after that.

The Apple rep will of course be hovering over any suspect sales junkie. It works for every CompUSA I've seen. I wish they'd do it at regional stores like Fry's.

Apple Stores aren't going to be everywhere, and Best Buy moves a TON of computers. Why do you think Alienware went to Best Buy instead of CompUSA?
  • Reply 30 of 82
    Apple could do a lot worse than hocking it's consumer wares on a well done infomercial/Shopping channel segment. You may laugh, but there's a reason manufacturers use that sales channel. A good show can literally move hundreds of thousands of units in a matter of weeks.

I would put a conservative estimate of an iPod/iBook or iPod/iMac program, run over the course of a year, to move over a million machines more than their numbers sans info-mercials.

The momentuum they can generate is amazing.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I've only been saying that for a couple of years now, but I get roundly blasted any time I bring it up ("QVC? pscates, you suck!" and "infomercials are for weight loss and cooking appliances, pscates...get a clue!")

I'm so damn right on this that some of you just can't stand it, and it hurts you to say so.

Matsu is right. Well, he agrees with me...

• Reply 32 of 82
    I know you brought it up a few times, and I even started a thread about it a while back. If Apple can build them, it's the kind of move that can really give consumer sales a solid kick in the pants. Especially with the iBooks and 12" PB's, they're really a good deal.

The eMacs and iMacs are a little iffy, plenty of stuff in the Apple line-up offers a better deal than the iMac especially. They need to drop kick that price down to really get sales moving, or they could do a good bundle that mebbe keeps the price up there a bit and gets people to spend a little more than they normally would, but it rolls in a nice iPod and a token charge for 3yr Extended AppleCare (a move that really doesn't cost them anything) and mebbe a sweeter deal on "Office" or perhaps their own in house alternative, they even have the iSight to throw in there now, great stuff, really. They could put together a couple of packages with 3rd party printers or camcorders... "BUY NOW! and get this minniDV camcorder at half price!" Have a few tiers, a printer package, a miniDV package, and iPod/iSight bundles. People call in for the 1999 and hang-up with the 2499 bundle just because it looked so "cool" on TV, or they "saved" 50% on that camcorder they wanted anyway?

Yes, it absolutely would work, better than some of the retail chains I'll wager. And whatever they don't sell still gets paid for in advertising terms: lotsa lotsa exposure -- even if people don't buy, it's just that much more incentive to wade into an Apple store for a live dose of RDF!
  • Reply 33 of 82
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Agreed on something like a QVC segment... I think I opened up a topic on this a couple months ago. Bundle an iMac or iBook with an iPod or iSight... offer Applecare as an option, etc... show off OS X and the iApps, and so on. I think it would do quite well. I agree with Matsu/Pscates on this.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    My thoughts on QVC, having been involved in selling a product to them, is that they won't offer an iMac or iPod anytime soon. They require very high margins, something Apple just won't provide. It's all good and well to want Apple to sell on QVC but it isn't their call.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    Let that sexy vixen with the short hair and big teeth host the segment. I'd buy two of everything!

Yes, especially now: with iSight and the iPod. You could REALLY make a case for the Mac being the ultimate home/family/multimedia/communication/sharing/digital media computer.

iPhoto, iTunes and iMovie trumps everything else out there. So does the iPod. So does OS X. So does the hardware. So does nearly everything at that particular level (consumer/newbie/student/soccer mom).

I really wish they could do something like this at some point. I know it would only help. There's no way in hell it could hurt. It might make, as Matsu said, more people go "hey, I walk by that Apple store at the mall all the time...gonna stop in next time and see what's what...this stuff really seems cool and I STILL haven't figured out how to get my camera to work with my computer properly...".

You never know. A bunch of disgruntled, "I've HAD it with this computer!" people looking for a newer, better way is a powerful thing.

The right kind of rep/host, doing cool demos and plugging in this camera and that camera and showing how easy iPhoto does its thing would be worth the price of admission alone!

• Reply 36 of 82
    What Apple really needs is a revamped advertsing campaign. Some fresh ideas such as showing what an iMac can do.... How an iPod can load songs in seconds.... Right now they advertise to the already converted. Who cares if a person can dance while listening to an iPod or stick his tongue out when an iMac does it to him.
  • Reply 37 of 82

Exactly. Doesn't do ANYTHING for the platform, other than continue to promote the idea that it's somehow "lightweight", cute or "less than serious".

Honestly, did that "tongue out" iMac commercial do ANYTHING? Did it persuade a single person to seriously consider buying one?

"You know, Mike...I'm looking for a new computer for Melissa and the kids. We've got a digital camera and camcorder and tons of CDs we'd love to convert to digital. But what I'm REALLY looking for is a computer that sticks its tongue out at me. That seems to be the direction where everything is headed. I want to be in on that, you know? It's important. Any suggestions?"

Jeez...
  • Reply 38 of 82
    I dunno how much margin a shopping channel would require, but here in Canada I see that systemax guy selling pretty extensive PC bundles all the time, and at a lowish price too, when you consider all the stuff he throws in. Apple does have some decent margins on its stuff, it's just aquestion of how much they want to share with the Shopping Channel. However, if that is not to their liking, there's always the infomercial route, like Bose uses. Make a 30 minute (paid commmercial) segment to air at different times, on different local channels, in different markets, as costs permit. They already have the phone reps from the AppleStore, so this would just b a way to advertise/evangelize, and funnel sales in their own call center.
  • Reply 39 of 82
    Awww, NO WAY! That's TOTALLY "low rent" and beneath our untouchable, way-cool status. The Mac shall not lower itself to widespread advertising. It simply isn't...well, it just isn't our way.

Of course, I'm being WAY sarcastic...

I'm firmly convinced that - like it or not, some of you - it's Apple's failure to do some of these things and otherwise promote themselves in a more aggressive, "wide net" sort of way that has put them in this lovely 3-4% marketshare position they currently enjoy.

Think about it: most people a) don't know the Mac exists. That's just true. b) the ones that do are subject to all the bullcrap and myths spouted by their know-nothing co-workers or know-it-all brother-in-law, stuff like "Apple's filed for bankruptcy" and "you can't run Microsoft on Macs" and "those computers are only for desktop publishers and people who use that Photoshop stuff", etc.

Apple has done pretty much next-to-nothing to counter either of these things. Stop and think for a moment if, because Apple got off their butt and threw down the gauntlet a bit in the marketing/presence arena, just how different things COULD be?

Everyone's like "well, the hardware isn't there yet, so...".

Shut up.

We're talking consumers and people wanting to use their digital camera and camcorder. Don't tell me you honestly believe that your typical soccer mom or granny would've migrated to Apple long ago, but their lack of a 64-bit, high-end tower has kept them from doing so.

For that end of the market (consumer/newbie/student/granny/soccer mom/switcher), they're MORE than covered and well-served by Apple's offerings.

It's Apple's fault for not making people feel completely inadequate and "missing out" for not buying one.

I do my part, sure. But I don't have any sort of budget to work with, so...

• Reply 40 of 82
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i consistantly hear:

Macs are really expensive.

You can't run any software on them.

A commercial with an eMac showing MS office would go a hell of a long way to remove two myths at once.

Look, we have Office and starts at $799!