12" Powerbook, shall I!?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all,

My first post so treat me gently!

I currently have a 17" iMac, lacie external drive, soundtsicks and an iSub. I love them all!! I want to get a laptop (Powerbook or iBookand an Airport Extreme so that I can use the laptop within the house minus the wires and network it with the iMac.

My question is , shall I go for the 12" Powerbook? I would appreciate any horror stories / good stories about them and generally, if people who have bought one, like them!?

Many thanks,

Mossy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mossy

My question is , shall I go for the 12" Powerbook? I would appreciate any horror stories / good stories about them and generally, if people who have bought one, like them!?

Many thanks,

Mossy

I'd say get an iBook 12" and save yourself a couple of bucks.....you've already got the G4 in the iMac if you need to do any Altivec-enhanced stuff. Use the extra money on more fun stuff, like software and iPods.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Hi all,

My first post so treat me gently!

I currently have a 17" iMac, lacie external drive, soundtsicks and an iSub. I love them all!! I want to get a laptop (Powerbook or iBookand an Airport Extreme so that I can use the laptop within the house minus the wires and network it with the iMac.

Many thanks,

Mossy

Firstly congrats on your first post!

I was in a similar debate myself last week, and went for the 12" PowerBook. However, I really wanted the G4 processor (my current mac is a 450Mhz G3 iMac DV+) and the general power. I, Fred is right, you could save lot's by going with the iBook, perhaps get the 14" version and save a bit of money to go on extras. It really does depend on what you need from your Mac, if you think you might only use it for iTunes a little bit of photo editing then the iBook would do fine.

I have heard that the PB can get fairly warm to the touch but I don't think that it's a major problem.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    I have one. you should to.

I have had no problmes with it and I'll tell you its a joy wander about your house.. even out into your yard with your sweet laptop.

flick.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    I've bougth mine a month ago. I simply love it.

Here's a short review. It's my first mac ever, so I'll say some things about OSX too.

POWERBOOK

- It's the best-looking notebook out there, everybody likes it!

- It get's really hot (especially when it's connected to power and using the HD and CD), but it will never hurt you :-).

- Very good LCD when compared to most compaqs etc. (viewing angle of the desktop LCD's from apple seems to be better).

- The Keyboard is really worth buying.

- I prefere an external mouse to the trackpad.

- 12" are enough, especially because you can connect an external display if you need.

- High quality (but not very loud) sound (especially when considering the size), also the Jack-Audio-Output has really good quality when connected to a good amplifier.

- The assembly quality isn't as good as I had expected from apple (but no bad errors - just not perfect :-)).

- The Processor isn't the fastest, but it's enough for everything I have done until now. I would personally compare it to an 1.8 PIV in most tasks (all except games)

The whole system feels quite snappy.

- It doesn't have 5 hours battery-time (about 3 to 4), but it's enough to work one day on it (uses few battery in sleep-mode).

OS X

- It's a lot more funny and pleasent to work with than Windows.

- Quartz Extreme seems to work very well (enought to F*** some Windows freaks :-))

- OS X has a very good Memory and CPU-time management (I have only 256MB-Ram and it works fine most of the time)

Mac's seem to love multitasking.

- Connecting to Windows Networks is to complicated yet. I'm still not able to connect to a network-drive on my local network.

- Doesn't detect all external drives (especially NTFS formatet ones :-( ).

- Bluetooth works without any problems with new Nokia-phones.

- It takes a time to acomodate to the new file-system. I still like the " c\..." way to access files.

If you want to buy online buy on apple.com.

I would also wait for the 1GB-Ram to drop in price (the 512 also will).

So if you don't wan't to wait for a PPC 970 powerbook (And I couldn't) buy the 12"!!
  • Reply 5 of 27
    mossymossy Posts: 8member
    Thanks all! I've ordered one along with an airport extreme, and the necessary cards for the Powerbook and iMac.

Can't wait, I just hope the new Ethernet modem I had to order (my existing broadband modem is USB) works!!

Cheers,

Mossy
  • Reply 6 of 27
    ordered mine last wednesday at about 8ish.

Still no sign of it coming anytime soon which is unfortunate as I go away on Fri and so will not get to play with it for another 2 weeks!

Got an email from the AppleStore saying:

Quote:

With reference to your recent order, we apologise for

the delay that you have experienced in receiving this order. We

plan to ship your order during the first week in July.

This delay is due to a stock constraint and, while we regret any

inconvenience that this might have caused you, we will do our

best to try and despatch these items as soon as possible.

I wish it would come soon, the wait is killing me, it's like waiting for christmas except I don't know what day christmas is on!
  • Reply 7 of 27
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

...OS X has a very good Memory and CPU-time management (I have only 256MB-Ram and it works fine most of the time)

Mac's seem to love multitasking.

- Connecting to Windows Networks is to complicated yet. I'm still not able to connect to a network-drive on my local network.

- Doesn't detect all external drives (especially NTFS formatet ones :-( ).

- Bluetooth works without any problems with new Nokia-phones.

- It takes a time to acomodate to the new file-system. I still like the " c\..." way to access files.

If you want to buy online buy on apple.com.

I would also wait for the 1GB-Ram to drop in price (the 512 also will).

So if you don't wan't to wait for a PPC 970 powerbook (And I couldn't) buy the 12"!!

NTFS will be taken care of in OS X 10.3 (Panther)

OS X Manages RAM well but is a hog...if u can buy more (not from apple they will charge u through the nose) do it!

I have done networking and we use it everyday at work PC's/Mac's...then again at work we use DAVE

Do you like the new filing system compared to c\\\hell_windows?

-heh side note...in panther they are kinda changing it so you'll be able to get to your favorite stuff easier
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Niz,

I ordered mine on the phone, (spoke to a top chap called Killian). Have not heard about any delays so I HOPE mine comes next week. Are you on iChat at present!?

Mossy
  • Reply 9 of 27
    there has been, or at leasted seemed to have been, a lot more talk about purchasing 12" PBooks it seems...i wonder why especially when its the G5 that was just released
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

Niz,

I ordered mine on the phone, (spoke to a top chap called Killian). Have not heard about any delays so I HOPE mine comes next week. Are you on iChat at present!?

Mossy

yeah [email protected]
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

there has been, or at leasted seemed to have been, a lot more talk about purchasing 12" PBooks it seems...i wonder why especially when its the G5 that was just released

Interesting comment, for me I was waiting until the WWDC as I thought Apple might release new PB's (I have posted many times on this before WWDC started). But then as we know Apple didn't released any new ones. I had to get a new computer by september and a PB is what I wanted.

With the price drops it just seemed as good a time as any as it seems Apple aren't updating them for a while
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by dnisbet

Interesting comment, for me I was waiting until the WWDC as I thought Apple might release new PB's (I have posted many times on this before WWDC started). But then as we know Apple didn't released any new ones. I had to get a new computer by september and a PB is what I wanted.

With the price drops it just seemed as good a time as any as it seems Apple aren't updating them for a while

thanks i was just curious
  • Reply 13 of 27
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

ordered mine last wednesday at about 8ish.

Still no sign of it coming anytime soon which is unfortunate as I go away on Fri and so will not get to play with it for another 2 weeks!

There's an upside to your wait, dnisbet. If you're lucky, Apple will release updated PowerBooks on July 7 or 8. The delay in shipping your 12-incher might be due to the lack of old models, and you might be one of the first to get a Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook as soon as they are announced. I imagine that would make your PowerBook-less vacation quite bearable.

Escher
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

There's an upside to your wait, dnisbet. If you're lucky, Apple will release updated PowerBooks on July 7 or 8. The delay in shipping your 12-incher might be due to the lack of old models, and you might be one of the first to get a Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook as soon as they are announced. I imagine that would make your PowerBook-less vacation quite bearable.

Escher

fingers crossed eh!
  • Reply 15 of 27
    I ordered a 12" on June 28, and it's also marked to ship on or after July 8. It's a Tuesday, so I'd love to get bumped to a Rev B!
  • Reply 16 of 27
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

fingers crossed eh!

My fingers are crossed as well, even though I have not been audacious enough to order before a revision is certain (i.e. officially announced and available).

Escher
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by AaRdVarK

I ordered a 12" on June 28, and it's also marked to ship on or after July 8. It's a Tuesday, so I'd love to get bumped to a Rev B!

Hmmm. should I have waited then!? How is the new one going to differ? Any ideas!?!?

Mossy (feeling p1ssed off now!!)
  • Reply 18 of 27
    aardvarkaardvark Posts: 5member
    What is the ship date for your order? From your posts it sounds like you haven't received it yet, so if mine is delayed because they are out of stock, I'm betting yours is too.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    I haven't had the shipping date through yet! I had to give some proof of my credit card and I spoke to Killian at the UK Apple Store today - he reckoned within a week.... hmmmmm ......
  • Reply 20 of 27
    aardvarkaardvark Posts: 5member
    Well, you're in the same boat I'm in. So hopefully we'll both get lucky. I don't mind either way. I'm just excited to finally be getting one.