Urgent Help: My Mac Is &(*@$(@$!!

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    Ummm.....how long is Disk Warrior supposed to take? Because this thing isnt moving at all...
  • Reply 42 of 58
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    let it run as long as it can....
  • Reply 43 of 58
    Progress bar hasnt moved for like 3 hours...
  • Reply 44 of 58
    Ive kept this thing running all day since I woke up....the progress bar hasnt moved one bit in like 9 hours....what the **** is wrong with this piece of shit?
  • Reply 45 of 58
    when there are serious problems sometimes it takes a while... I have heard stories where people left DW running for a week, but after it completed, their hd was good as new...

do a search on the boards for Disk Warrior and Week and you'll find it... I think Brad said it, but I'm not sure...
  • Reply 46 of 58
    I cant possibly let this shit run for a week.

• Reply 47 of 58
    Is there another program that wont take a ****ing week to do?I simply cant afford this type of shit...
  • Reply 48 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by Verbal Assassin

I cant possibly let this shit run for a week.

this is bar none the best chance you have to get your data back, if you don't want to take the time to let ti run its course, thats your prerogative...

but don't blame the computer...

seriously, if you stop it in the middle you could seriously damage whats left of your data... what stage is it in?

oh, and I'm not saying it WILL take a week, but because it is taking more then an hour to complete it is indicative of SERIOUS problems on the HD's directory... when I ran it on my computers the longest it would take is like an hour... and after I did it the first time it got much faster to rebuild the directory

thats why it is a good idea to run utilities like this regularly...
  • Reply 49 of 58
  • Reply 50 of 58
    Well I did stop becauseI had to...I have parents that will try and hit me in the middle of the night while Im sleeping or simply unplug the computer. They have no concept of these types of things. It is on Step 6 and hasnt moved all day. If this thing takes that long then it would be better to actually take it to Microcenter and have them manually repair the hard drive and recover my data for me. I bet that wouldnt even keep my computer out of service for a week. I have things to do...stuff I am dependent upon on this machine, It is only delaying shit because of something that shouldnt happen in the first place. Can I for onceget an Apple product that actually works properly for a change?

Sorry...Im just really pissed off about things right now...not even just the computer...it just adds to all my frustrations..
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Quote:

If this thing takes that long then it would be better to actually take it to Microcenter and have them manually repair the hard drive and recover my data for me.

if you trust them to do it, why not? do you have an extended warranty with them? I'm sure they will charge an arm and a leg if you don't... that money might be better spent on a new HD to use in the interim...
  • Reply 52 of 58
    What the heck could I do with another hard drive at this point? Nothing. It would be pointless.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    you could reinstall the OS on it and use it as your main partition (and not even mount the corrupted drive) until you go back to school so you can repair the borked HD at your leisure and let it run as long as it can...

this way you are not without a computer
  • Reply 54 of 58
    I dont have a Jaguar install disc and I have 56k internet that runs like 14.4. I wouldnt have any of my documents on there to work off of, none of the programs I need for business work, none of my music etc etc. So that would be about as good as using the computer I am on right now.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    Quote:

I dont have a Jaguar install disc

ummmmm why not?

Quote:

and I have 56k internet that runs like 14.4.

and this is relevant because? (how would this be any different if your HD didn't become corrupted)

Quote:

I wouldnt have any of my documents on there to work off of,

none of the programs I need for business work,

when you buy software generally they come on a CD that allows you to install it again...

Quote:

none of my music etc etc. So that would be about as good as using the computer I am on right now.

I'm sure you can live without your music for a month or so..

look, all I am saying is rather then paying someone else to fix your computer you can do it yourself when you have time and chances are they wont even wait for DW to run either, they would just reformat the drive and you would lose all your data...

if you need to use the computer NOW but don't want to risk losing that data your best bet is to reinstall the system on another drive and do the best you can with that until you can reliably get the data off the hosed HD... and if it is that important to you you should send it away to a professional data recovery center place...
  • Reply 56 of 58
    Quote:

[B]ummmmm why not?

My machine came with 10.1 I received Jaguar from a different source

Quote:

[B] and this is relevant because? (how would this be any different if your HD didn't become corrupted)

OS/software updates. Id be stuck on 10.2.0.

Quote:

[B] when you buy software generally they come on a CD that allows you to install it again...

Two words. Education. Software.

Quote:

[B] I'm sure you can live without your music for a month or so..

Probably, but considering I earn money off of it?

I understand you but it just doesnt work that way for me. And yes, it is that important to me where I would take it to a professional data recovery place. It is imperative that I get back on that system ASAP. Disk Warrior doesnt seem to be helping much, so I will give it till the end of this weekend . If that progress bar hasnt moved an inch, I will give up on it.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    ALright...so Ive kept it running for a few days now...my concern is that the machine could overheat or what about in a bad storm? I mean...this thing doesnt seem to be very reliable...I felt my tower and its pretty hot...very warm air coming out of the back. I have basically had to pretend I am not leaving this on the whole time because my parents are shouting at me about leaving it on....

If it hasnt done anything by tomorrow Im gonna go another route...this cant persist...
  • Reply 58 of 58
    dark seraphdark seraph Posts: 104member
    dood,

this thread is going way to long in my opinion. i really don't mean to be rude or anything, but seriously the people here have fully attended to your needs by suggesting all possible approaches-and I only seem to see compalints in your postiings...I understand your data is important to you, belive me, I just spent all bloody weekend compressing and backing up some 60gigs as I read all the lamenting in this forum...

All I'm say;ing is just let diskwarrior run and do its thing. leave it the hell alone and lay down the some compromises with your parents. (just tell them you have some sensitive data, better yet, compare it to them in the fashion that the power bill will be a much less price tag than harddrive recovery.

computers get hot no doubt-(ever wonder why server rooms fee like tundras now?, but it should be fine, just let some air flow through your room and don't butt the back of your tower up against a wall. hopefully you clean the insides for dust and such so it prevents heat building up.

patience grasshopper...