"GOBI"

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    What I find depressing is that Motorola announced the MPC8540, what, a year and a half ago. Somewhat later the MPC 8560 was announced.

Each processor sports Rapid I/O and OCEAN. Sounds great, almost too good to believe.

Hey, Motorola, we're and the embedded market are waiting. Still no sampling for either chip announced. A leaked roadmap from Motorola and now IBM rumours of a G3+SIMID using Rapid I/O in 2004. Holy crap 2004!!! Why even announce this, seems embarressing to me.

Isn't there even a manufacturer announcing a Rapid I/O capable controller, what's their name, Marzipan or something. Actually, I think it's Marval or Marvel. Now they have a product and no place to sell it.

rant over.

Have a MERRY CRISTMAS
  • Reply 42 of 49
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    What part of "8xxx chips are communications chips" don't you understand? The Motorola Desktop G5 would have been a 75xx chip, and as you can see, they don't exist.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    This is completely, utterly exciting! I don't want to get too anxious, but in two weeks things just might be interesting again like they used to be at expos...but like I said, don't want to get too "hopped up" about this -- better to be wonderfully surprised than have one's balloon popped.

• Reply 44 of 49
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    [quote]Originally posted by Chucker:

<strong>What part of "8xxx chips are communications chips" don't you understand? The Motorola Desktop G5 would have been a 75xx chip, and as you can see, they don't exist.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, I know the MPC8540 and MPC8560 are described as host and communication processors in Motorola's documentation. SO WHAT. The point is that this is the direction Motorola's technology is going and as the roadmap indicates, these technologies are planned for the MPC 7457-RM.

The point was that it appears that these processors haven't even sampled, maybe some one can correct me, and now a leaked roadmap and rumors are suggesting these technologies will not appear in host processor until 2004 THE MODEL NUMBERS ARE COMPLETELY IRRELAVANT.

Your reply was flippant and unwarranted. Your rudeness is only exceeded by your arrogance.

And if you'd have bothered to read my post completely you WOULD HAVE NOTICED THAT I SAID,"we're and the embedded market are waiting.".

Merry Christmas
  • Reply 45 of 49
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Chucker:

<strong>What part of "8xxx chips are communications chips" don't you understand? The Motorola Desktop G5 would have been a 75xx chip, and as you can see, they don't exist.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This site has some information on the 7500:

<a href="http://www.plasma-online.de/index.html?content=http://www.plasma-online.de/english/identify/picture/motorola_cpu.html&quot; target="_blank">http://www.plasma-online.de/index.html?content=http://www.plasma-online.de/english/identify/picture/motorola_cpu.html&lt;/a&gt;

If you click on the link and search for 7500, you see it says G5 (multiple G4 cores, 800MHz..2GHz, 512KB L2, 0.10µm SOI, 2002, 64bit)

If this information is accurate, I like the multiple G4 cores part. Of course, the 0.10µm part of it doesn't seem right since I heard Motorola is still having problems with their 0.13µm process.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    also has the 8540 as a G5
  • Reply 47 of 49
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bigc:

<strong>also has the 8540 as a G5</strong><hr></blockquote>

I saw that. I wonder how up-to-date and accurate the info on this site is?
  • Reply 48 of 49
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    It has Intel P4 Northwoods up to 2.8 GHZ, can't be too old.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bigc:

<strong>also has the 8540 as a G5</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe that's because it is a G5?

The 8540 has a single INT unit, onboard DDR266/333, PCI-X and 10/100 ethernet.

It's a comms chip, for routers and stuff. Maybe a PowerPC/G5 will feature in the next Xserve, but only as a comms companion chip to the G4/970.

Barto