Armstrong wins the Tour

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I hate the CBS coverage. It's a fscking rock video with some cycling in it. I hope their contract ends soon.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

To be fair, I am always quite impressed by cross-country running (one of the sports I myself enjoy performing most, coincidentally), and athletics in general, but I don't follow it nearly as much as I do cycle (which I, coincidentally again, do perform VERY leisurely myself).

I forgot Cross Country Skiing. Its great to watch too.

And yes I ski and cycle myself too.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I hate the CBS coverage. It's a fscking rock video with some cycling in it. I hope their contract ends soon.

It does suck. I only caught today's one hour show? Did they have shows like this for the previous legs?

I regret not watching the tour now, I really would have liked to watch a leg in its entirety.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I regret not watching the tour now, I really would have liked to watch a leg in its entirety.

Don't overestimate yourself! 6 hours of uneventful cycling, which some of the Tour's stages infallibly are, can only be watched and enjoyed by professional couch-potatoes and experienced cycling nuts, who busy themselves by counting the peddling-frequencies of the various cyclists.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I hate the CBS coverage.

I thought ESPN covered it some too?
  • Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

It does suck. I only caught today's one hour show? Did they have shows like this for the previous legs?

Here's how it works. CBS has the tour on sunday. OLN can't cover the tour on sunday until after CBS does it. CBS does a one hour rock video of lance over the past week. They give almost no information about anything. OLN does real coverage. From the time the tour starts the feed to the stage's awards. Very few color items. Just straight up tour coverage but not a whole lot more. The only use I can see for CBS is to get people to watch OLN.

OLN will cover the stage today at 8pm.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Don't overestimate yourself! 6 hours of uneventful cycling, which some of the Tour's stages infallibly are, can only be watched and enjoyed by professional couch-potatoes and experienced cycling nuts, who busy themselves by counting the peddling-frequencies of the various cyclists.

well, once i get into something I can be a bit fanatical about it so 6 hours really wouldn't phase me I think.

But, I'm sure some of the early or middle stages probably aren't too eventful to watch like that.

Quote:

OLN will cover the stage today at 8pm.

thanks. errrr..... yankees red sox vs tour de france.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Yes I actually calculating the cadence. Maybe I should change my name to Bikenut.

But we have a pair of great reporters on the danish television. One is an intellectual film director who see symbols everywhere aand the other is a journalist that always get the facts wrong. If he say "Ulrich is behind the peleton" he actually broke loose from it. Always like that with everything.

Some of theior classics:

"The Cowboy have drawn from the leather - Both six-shooters!"

About one of the moutains: "A brutal lady with long legs"

"The earth in which the selfconfidence of Armstrong is placed in is without doubt very fertile"

About Pantani who is racing to the top of a mountain: "E.T. is flying again"

They make it all up on the go taking every litttle thing and makes it into a symbol of the race. The two only intellectuals covering TdF
  • Reply 49 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Yes I actually calculating the cadence. Maybe I should change my name to Bikenut.

Well, I spoke from my own experience as well. [Armstrong yesterday: 109-115].
  • Reply 50 of 56
    You spend half a day each day for three weeks staring at a glowing box which shows people riding bicycles and further your enjoyment by estimating different people's pedals/minute?
  • Reply 51 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

You spend half a day each day for three weeks staring at a glowing box which shows people riding bicycles and further your enjoyment by estimating different people's pedals/minute?

I did. Without doping. Watching the Tour is not worse than posting here.

Next year Lance Armstrong, his team, and his Mac will be back for a sixth. It will be interesting. I'd even say tremendous. Unmissable. Go Apple !
  • Reply 52 of 56
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Well, German tv stations ZDF/ARD fill the less exciting moments with lots of interviews (what drivers had to say before or after the race, also with celebrities that come visit the tour, e.g. Schwarzenegger), they show clips with background information on the region (wine and food, they go to a vintager, visit a city or a castle, go to a dairy... history lessons...), they talk about technical details (everything there is to know about the bikes), how a driver's day looks like, what they eat, drink etc. It's actually quite entertaining (they had a total of 140 people working on this!!!), and if you already know how bike tires are made, you can switch to a channel in another country with uninterrupted coverage.

That said, I watched the key stages (on weekends) and the last hour or so of some other mountain stages, as well as the time trials, of course.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

best tour in a LONG time.

GO LANCE GO!

GO TYLER GO

jan looks to have mature past those incedents and the sport and tour was better for it Go Jan!

AWESOME! AWESOME!AWESOME!AWESOME!AWESOME!AWESOME!AWESOME!AW ESOME!AWESOME!

Best cycling line ever:

robin williams: I was watching when he fell. got back up and won the race!

Lance earned this one to the macs!

ps: Tivo+TdF ****ing' rules BTW.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    I thought the best Robin Williams line was went he was told that Arnold had 5 body guards and Robin was walking around on his own. Robin says, "People just say 'Oh you're the woman!'". He annoys me sometimes but he is funny.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

A bit like the Eurovision Song Contest .....on wheels....
  • Reply 56 of 56
    They have the Robin Williams interview on line.