Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

1535455565759»

Comments

• Reply 1161 of 1176
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jasoco

Who needs images when you got the real deal?

I don't have the real deal, though. So, just hit me with something to tide me over for 1 day 20 hours, 41 minutes and 343
  • Reply 1162 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

I just did the straight upgrade, didn't bother the archive install or erase install.

I have this weird thing when I install Jaguar from the CD (without doing a clean install, it doesnt happen when i do a clean install): It installs the first CD, then I get a Kernel Panic (lines of code, not the image) during the grey (gray) Apple Logo Startup screen.. so, I have to clean install, backup all my stuff in 9? Has anyone ever heard of this happening to anyone else? (i know this isnt a support forum... I will probably do a clean install because of this

also, doesnt clean install make your system faster ? Like, your home folder collects dust as time goes on and a clean install will REALLY speed up your system? Where is the rumor of this from?
  • Reply 1163 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

I don't have the real deal, though. So, just hit me with something to tide me over for 1 day 20 hours, 41 minutes and 343

Well, if you haven't seen it. When you go into Exposé mode, windows keep updating real time. This INCLUDES DVD player and QT. Even iTunes with the Visualizer.

THAT is cool stuff.

And if you hold Shift when pressing a hotkey for Exposé, it does it SLOWLY! Just like the Genie. To think someone took the time to program that in just to use as a showoff effect is great.
  • Reply 1164 of 1176
    So, wait, so, like can i see when Safari is done loading a window?

that is pretty nifty... that must put a terrible strain on the CPU, though...

What are people saying about the first generation G4 PowerMacs (AGP) and Panther (with Graphic Card updates (to allow for Quartz EXTREME!!!!) and standard?)

Are there no offical numbers out there yet?

you know, the sad thing is, despite the numbers , most of us will upgrade anyway just to be able to press F9 and see the windows MOVE!!!!!

I am excited about it, hopefully the new finder won't scare me...or will it....

• Reply 1165 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

So, wait, so, like can i see when Safari is done loading a window?

that is pretty nifty... that must put a terrible strain on the CPU, though...

What are people saying about the first generation G4 PowerMacs (AGP) and Panther (with Graphic Card updates (to allow for Quartz EXTREME!!!!) and standard?)

Not really. It's no more straining than normal. In fact, it's very fast. It's rendering them anyway, just now it's out in the open.

Open a bunch of QT files and play all. They'll play the same speed even if you go into Exposé. But you'll be able to see them all at once... playing.. and it's DAMN COOL to show off to your friends.
  • Reply 1166 of 1176
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Spiffy, huh?

Well, it should *tell* you which addresses are bad. From there you can tell which one it is based on the ordering of the DIMMs in the slots, and...

Oh heck, just post the addresses here.

Ok, I ran the app again. It gives me alot of info. There are so many errors that I end up quitting GP because it never seems to stop. Here are a few. Please tell me if I should run GP again....

$37EA3038

$37EA35D8

$37EA3610

$37EA6F98

$37EA70D8

$37EB7798

$37EB77DO

$37EB7D38

$37EB7E38

There was also a bunch of 'Expected $xxxx , but read $xxxy' data. Its just too much to type unles t will ID the RAM chip.

TIA.
  • Reply 1167 of 1176
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Keda

Ok, I ran the app again. It gives me alot of info. There are so many errors that I end up quitting GP because it never seems to stop. Here are a few. Please tell me if I should run GP again....

$37EA3038

$37EA35D8

$37EA3610

$37EA6F98

$37EA70D8

$37EB7798

$37EB77DO

$37EB7D38

$37EB7E38

There was also a bunch of 'Expected $xxxx , but read $xxxy' data. Its just too much to type unles t will ID the RAM chip.

TIA.

Okay, I think I screwed up my calculations because I'm getting that $37EA3038 = 939413704, or an address in the 895thMB. You don't *happen* to have a GB of RAM, do you?

If you do, that's yer problem right there. GP should tell you the layout of your RAM (first slot: 128MB, second slot: 512MB, third slot: 256MB, etc). Whatever RAM slot (probably your last filled one) has that address range in it, that's the bad one. In the example above, (numbers slightly off for clarity): 0 ->128MB is in the first slot, 128MB+1 -> 640MB is in the second slot, 640MB + 1 -> 896MB in the third slot. For this setup, the third RAM would be the bad one, since 895 (the bad range) falls within its range.

And at this point, maybe we should take further discussion to Genius Bar.
  • Reply 1168 of 1176
    Why yes, I do happen to have a Gig of RAM. Four 256 MB sticks.

So my 3rd is bad?

GP never completes because It keeps throwing errors...all w/in that range. I sat there for 20 minutes hitting return and it kept going for another pass.
  • Reply 1169 of 1176
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Running VPC 6 and iTunes at the same time = Kernel Panic!
  • Reply 1170 of 1176
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Running VPC 6 and iTunes at the same time = Kernel Panic!

Not in my experience
  • Reply 1171 of 1176
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Keda

Why yes, I do happen to have a Gig of RAM. Four 256 MB sticks.

So my 3rd is bad?

GP never completes because It keeps throwing errors...all w/in that range. I sat there for 20 minutes hitting return and it kept going for another pass.

4th one. It's in the last 256MB block.

Pull that one out, and see if it stabilizes at all. My guess is it will.
  • Reply 1172 of 1176
    Thank You!

I will try this when I get to work.
  • Reply 1173 of 1176
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

Heh well I never use Column view. I prefer either by list or by icon....

I don't know why list view even exists...column view is like list view, but 10X faster to navigate.
  • Reply 1174 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I don't know why list view even exists...column view is like list view, but 10X faster to navigate.

Don't you DARE take away my List View. It is extremely important to me. Almost as much as Column.