15.4-inch PowerBook on horizon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Over in the MacNN forums, there is a thread debating a photograph on Apple's <a href="http://www.apple.com/airport"; target="_blank">Airport page</a> which, in my opinion seems to show the new 15.4-inch quite blatantly in a guy's lap.

Here's the analysis I provided:

Perceptibly, are we going to be able to discern the couple of inches that make the difference between what would be the 15.4-inch model, and the new 17-inch model?

Well try creating the 17-inch's footprint (15.4" W) on paper and sitting cross-legged as in the photo.

Dependent on how tall you are, you will get varying results. But, I think this person is roughly my size - I'm 5'11" - and the new 17-inch comes up my leg to just below my knee. It obviously doesn't in this photo, so it isn't the 17-inch.

Is it the 12-inch then? Do the same thing again (sit cross legged) with an 8-1/2x11" sheet of paper. It kind of looks like that what it could be. But it's a little bit too small for it to be the 12-inch. Also important to note is that if you look at the 12-inch, it has the vent holes for the speakers in the back of the unit so they reflect off the screen. This photo can't be a 12-inch model because it doesn't have those vents.

[img]homepage.mac.com/davehagan/pgb4g.jpg[/img]

Even more important, if you look at the original picture picture again, you'll also notice that it has a similar port configuration on the left side as the 12-inch:

Now look at the 17-inch's port configuration. It looks sparse in comparison because of the PCMCIA slot:

So it's not the 17 and not the 12.

Now, further, if you look at the 17-inch head on from the back, you'll notice that it's bigger than the one in the original photo because on the 17-inch, the Apple logo looks more desolate with the sea of aluminum that comprises the back of the display.

With this, we have DigiTimes, who reports that the same contractor assembling the 17-inch will be assembling a 15.4-inch PowerBook. Although some feel that's a typographical error, it coincides with Samsung's new 15.4-inch screen.

Given those details and the fact that the PowerBook product line is inconsistent in the middle model (no Airport Extreme, or Aluminum enclosure when the low-end and high models have those features) why couldn't we presume that the 15.4 aluminum is done and that Apple is waiting for the right time to release it, having even shot all the product photos of it at the same time as they did the 12 and 17-inch models?

So could it be the 15.4-inch model?

It's Sunday and I have nothing better to do than say I think that this likely the 15.4-inch.

[ 01-19-2003: Message edited by: DHagan4755 ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 50
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by DHagan4755:

<strong>

So could it be the 15.4-inch model?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, it's the 12 inch model.

Placing my 14 inch iBook on my leg seems to be a little bigger than what you see on the photo.

Here is an image of the 12 inch PowerBook taken from roughly the same angle:

No vents!!

Here the image of the 12 inch from the commercial is compared to the PowerBook in the photo:

The Apple logo is the same size.

[ 01-19-2003: Message edited by: JLL ]</p>
  • Reply 23 of 50
    i am voting on it being the 12-incher as well....

Myself being an average asian height of 5'8" (...and him looking very asian), the dimensions of the powerbook in question takes up about the same amount of room on me cross-legged.

But then again, if he is not pure asian and is model-class/height, he could be 6' or more, which makes a 15.4" sitting on his leg total plausible
  • Reply 24 of 50
    [quote]Originally posted by Producer:

<strong>I meant Tablet Anyway if it only adds a $100s or so to add tablet functionality to the powerbook I say add it...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've seen ads for the Compaq Tablet PC plastered up near where they're building a new res on my university, and they make it seem like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe I just don't get it, but it looks a little schizophrenic to me. It's as if it can't decide if it's either a notebook, desktop, or PDA-type device. Oh well.

I don't know if it's going to cost just $100 extra. Touch screen technology and a wireless connection to hook it all up (assuming that's the approach they'll take) will cost a whole lot more than $100.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    The photo above of the guy with the PowerBook is currently on the Spinner display at the Apple Store near me. It's a new window design that is promoting the 12 inch PowerBook. Funny thing is, the store doesn't have a demo unit in yet, so the window has an empty display with a little sign, between the two photo spinners (the other photo is of a woman).
  • Reply 26 of 50
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I am little annoyed that there has been no news about this gem from Apple soon-to-be released. I would venture to say there's sparse interest in the Titaniums -- unless you don't know any better because you don't follow Apple like we do. It's popularity has to be falling like a stone. Does anyone have any further info on when we can expect the 15.4-inch? I'm dying here. I need something soon...c'mon Apple!

[ 01-30-2003: Message edited by: DHagan4755 ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 50
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I hate to say it but Apple just released the latest 15" TiBooks in November and they aren't that old.

In fact, the 1 GHz TiBooks stacks up fairly well compared to the new 17" AlBook which hasn't even started shipping yet.

I'm not sure when we'll see another PowerBook update but I think we won't see them until after the eMacs, iMacs, and iBooks are updated.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    my guess is that they are just dumping inventory of the 15"ers before they release it. i'm sure they built a ton of them before christmas. i'm sure they will do the same thing that they did with the powermacs, they will just sell the current 15" as the os9 bootable model! makes sense eh?
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Well, I measured my glowing Apple logos on my iBook and PowerBooks (4 laptops in all), and I concluded that the Apple would most likely be constantly 1.5 inches. Then, using Photoshop 7 I multiplied the Apple logo in the "Lap Photo." I concluded that the PowerBook was indeed the 12 inch, no more no less. My final estimated measurement: 11.25 inches. 12" PowerBook Width: 11.2 inches (28.5 cm). So, there you go, 12 inch, and an unusally small man . PIC:

EDIT: Bad math...

[ 01-30-2003: Message edited by: Bioflavonoid ]</p>
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Come on guys, Do you really have that much time on your hands..The Ti is dead, It is just a matter of time and the new model will have a new case and bigger screen and I hope under $2000.00 with the basic model..

[ 01-30-2003: Message edited by: Me and my son ]</p>
  • Reply 31 of 50
    [quote]Originally posted by Me and my son:

<strong>Come on guys, Do you really have that much time on your hands..The Ti is dead, It is just a matter of time and the new model will have a new case and bigger screen and I hope under $2000.00 with the basic model..

[ 01-30-2003: Message edited by: Me and my son ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you're referring to me, I was only trying to prove that that particular picture wasn't the "15.4" (not that there will never be one). As for the estimated time: 5 minutes including Photoshop work, uploading and posting.

EDIT: And yes, I do indeed realize the Ti is nearing the end of it's life... I'm not denying it. Although it does make me pissed that I bought this thing on Dec. 20 and two weeks later wham bam! New PowerBooks.

[ 01-31-2003: Message edited by: Bioflavonoid ]</p>
  • Reply 32 of 50
    As much as I would love a 15.2 or 15.4 inch Aluminum Powerbook with all the bells and whistles of the 17 inch, does anyone think that the fact Apple probably had the 12 and 17 inch designs concrete by November would have influenced the Titanium. What I mean is do you think that if Apple had the AlBooks completed, the ones that fixed all the problems with the 15s, they would have even released the 1 Ghz Powerbooks and waited until January? I would think we will probably have to wait until April for the 15 inch Aluminum books. But here's hopin for something earlier.

[ 01-31-2003: Message edited by: filmmaker2002 ]</p>
  • Reply 33 of 50
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I'm sure the new 15' will include the same new features as the current line up;

1.) cheaper metal, ti to al

2.) Slower video, Radeon to Geoforce

3.) The little train that could but hasn't DDR

4.) Glow in the dark keyboard for none touch typers to feel less guilty about being lazy

5.) Fashionably late Bluetooth that only works with Apple approved phones and PDA?s

6.) Firewire 800 for those devices that don?t exist

7.) 1ghz .18 G4, made especially for making waffles, they keys make perfect grooves

8.) Easy removable keys on the keyboard for those boring nights, you know puzzle

9.) 4200rpm drive for those slow motion effects in imovie

10.) Apples guarantee that you paid too much for a less then adequate excuse of being competitive

11.) Last but not least, a life time membership to an Apple board where you?ll spend every waking moment scouring over posts from just as desperate seekers, hoping that Apple will one day come out with a machine that can cope with it?s own operating system.

I?m sorry; I just got up on the wrong side of the Apple orchid this morning. If we don?t buy, maybe it will push Apple to come up with something that can be truly called an Apple.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    I cannot post this in the TI Powerbook revB thread since it is closed. But that title was very inaccurate. I am currently using a revision B Powerbook with at 550 mzh. The current 15" Powerbook is a revision D I think.

The current 15" Powerbook is still very competive. I would buy one over the 12" simply for the large screen size, L3 cache, and better location of ports. 54 mbs networking is still years away and the the current Apple version doesn't even comply with the protocal since IEEE hasn't standardized it.

Once you use a wide screen labtop it is hard to back, especially when using page layout software or Final Cut Express. I even made a DVD using my 550 Powerbook. It took a few hours but was very do able.

Relic, to say the current Powerbooks, which are twice as fast, are not competitive is absurd.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Twice as fast, give me benchmarks. To tell me they are without proof is absurd. Wait, twice as fast as what, the generation before, not. Maybe 10 percent is some memory tests. Why amI arguing, Try resizing any iapps window, think 13 year old with a Victoria Secret magazine, JERKY.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    [quote]Originally posted by Relic:

<strong>Twice as fast, give me benchmarks. To tell me they are without proof is absurd. Wait, twice as fast as what, the generation before, not. Maybe 10 percent is some memory tests. Why amI arguing, Try resizing any iapps window, think 13 year old with a Victoria Secret magazine, JERKY.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am saying that the current 15" Powerbook is probably twice as fast as mine. and mine still works great.

And at least for me, resizing, minimizing, closing, opening, loading, etc is plenty fast and smooth.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Sorry misunderstood, I'm glad your happy with your current Powerbook. But if Apple want's to get more of that market share they are going to have to wow us not make us content.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Sigh.....

and another thread falls into the same argument every thread does
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Yeah, when Lord, when is it our turn, when do I get my multi core CPU with a million SPEC score!
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Okay...back on topic.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that the new 15" might not come as soon as people around here seem to think.

My guess is that the 15" is still around to sell to the OS9 people until all of the OS9 machines die. (The OS9 PowerMacs are around until June)

Not to mention, take a look at the PowerBook pages on Apple's web site...someone went to an awful lot of trouble to update not just the 12" and 17" Book pages, but also the 15". Just seems like a lot of work to update a page you're going to change again in a month...Apple's pages usually don't change that often.

Hope I'm wrong, 'cause this Ti500 is gettin a little long in the tooth and those 12"s are too small and the 17"s are to big (I'd love all of the 17" doo-dads on a 15" though)

[ 01-31-2003: Message edited by: Colby2000 ]</p>