15.4-inch PowerBook on horizon

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I'm thinking apple is waiting for the 970 to be ready before they release any more computers. I mean after all what ever they release now will be outdated when the 970 comes out.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    [quote]Originally posted by Algol:

<strong>I'm thinking apple is waiting for the 970 to be ready before they release any more computers. I mean after all what ever they release now will be outdated when the 970 comes out.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hope Apple won't be waiting until 2004 then.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    [quote]Originally posted by Colby2000:

<strong>Okay...back on topic.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that the new 15" might not come as soon as people around here seem to think.

My guess is that the 15" is still around to sell to the OS9 people until all of the OS9 machines die. (The OS9 PowerMacs are around until June)[ 01-31-2003: Message edited by: Colby2000 ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

i see your point with the OS9 people but what reason would there be to not run the 15" tiBook and a 15" AiBook side by side?

they would only have to make sure that the specs to the AiBook were marginally better than the Ti to ween people away from OS9.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    FWIW, according to a post by "Powerjack" on the <a href="http://www.spymac.com"; target="_blank">Spymac.com</a> forums who also just so happens to run the <a href="http://www.macwhispers.com"; target="_blank">MacWhispers.com</a> site:

[quote]

Actually, since TiBook sales have dropped about 90% since January 7th, and Apple anticipated such a drop, the new model is within days of being released. My understanding is that the existing TiBook will move into the temporary "OS 9 bootable" section until June.

This past month, while talking and emailing with many of our own company's retailers and distributors around the world, I've tried to gently prod every one of them with a question about how the TiBook was selling now. ... even managed to ask a couple of fellows at Ingram.

Here's the deal: No matter that a handful of folks here have defended the TiBook's viability, it seems the vast majority of portable Mac buyers disagree.

TiBook sales completely tanked on January7th, and they've remained effectively non-existent since that time. Reseller estimates range from sales being down anywhere from 80% to 95% of prior levels.

This is real info; we announced our desktop riser stand made specifically for the TiBook at MacWorld. And, the huge drop in TiBook sales has heavily impacted our own anticipated sales.

That said, because I have a vested interest in this matter, I have been aggressive about calling industry suppliers/vendors and trying to come up with a real answer. This is how and why I was the first person who managed to ferret out the new relationship Apple has with Chi Mei Optoelectronics, and the new 20.1 and 15.4-inch panels coming from that company. For fun, I ran that information on my little MacWhispers.com rumor site. But, actually, none of it's "rumor." While nearly everyone online has been tantalized by an old press release about coming 15.4-inch panels from LG-Philips, in reality, Chi Mei has been actually shipping their 1280x800 15.4" panels to Apple's assembly partner, Foxconn (Hon Hai), since the week of the keynote.

So, I know the new 'Book is in production. And, I know that it's "mere days" from introduction. I cannot find out precisely "what" day.

One last tidbit, from a major Apple distributor: It seems that Apple staff reassured this distributor about the speediness of the mid-line PowerBook's appearance the day following the keynote.

Guys, that's all I know. And, it's all true, straight from OEM sources with no reason on earth to lie to me under the circumstances. I hope it helps with any buying decisions you're making. <hr></blockquote>

MacWhispers.com got the 20.1-inch Cinema Display <a href="http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/0000005.html"; target="_blank">rumor</a> right on, although he was off on the new height and tilt adjustment along with the prices of the new LCDs.

It's sounds pretty straightforward to me. WE SHALL SEE!

On another note, I have read people on the boards discussing that the rumor was Valentine's Day for new 15-inch aluminum PowerBooks. February 14 is a Friday, and in my opinion, a bad day to release new products.

[ 02-02-2003: Message edited by: DHagan4755 ]</p>
  • Reply 45 of 50
    joekjoek Posts: 93member
    [quote]Originally posted by DHagan4755:

<strong>

MacWhispers.com got the 20.1-inch Cinema Display <a href="http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/0000005.html"; target="_blank">rumor</a> right on, although he was off on the new height and tilt adjustment along with the prices of the new LCDs.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you being sarcastic?

They got nothing right. The rez, the price, the enclosures. The only thing "right" was that it was 20 inches... and that was widely known because of the screwup at that TCO site.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I said WE SHALL SEE!