Black Monday

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It appears we're about to embark on another poorly thought-out military mission in Africa [not to mention all the civilians being killed there]. I wonder what the name of the movie will be...

AIDS is on the rise in US for the first time in a decade.

I lost my job (my final paycheck totaled $666).

...and the most symoblic of them all, we get news that Bob Hope has died. Never a good thing when Hope dies. At least he lead a very full life, and one we are all the better for having witnessed.

What the hell is going on anyway?

[I'm just waiting for N. Korea to announce it has sold a nuclear warhead to some rogue group, and that the device is now nicely parked in one of our sea ports..]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

It's just The Apocalypse. Relax already.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Well you did elect the wrong president. How will he defend the death of Hope?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    yeah, and why cant i get into a decent MD-PhD program?!?
  • Reply 4 of 32
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Well you did elect the wrong president. How will he defend the death of Hope?

Tax Cuts?.

Seriously, I was very saddened by the news this morning that Bob had died. I remember growing up during the Vietnam War, and seeing Bob's tours being broadcast on the tube. A very, very funny man with more compassion in his little toe than most people today will ever have. A big loss for the world, not just the US.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    What would be a well-thought-out mission?
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Bob was just stringing it out anyway in the hopes that the estate tax would be repealed before he died.

I'm down with Liberia.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

What would be a well-thought-out mission?

For once, I think I agree with you, although I'm not sure. Any mission would do, at this point. Rebels are eating government soldiers' hearts, and vice versa, and that is to be taken literal. The heart of darkness is showing its true nature once again. And despite the fact that not much oil is to be gained by any initiative, I do hope the US will do the right thing. It is after all their Terra Liberia.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Bob was just stringing it out anyway in the hopes that the estate tax would be repealed before he died.

I thought the geezer died months, if not decades ago.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Grover I'm not much of a military strategist, but so far the Liberia thing seems to me to be a "well, we gotta send *someone* over there or else we'll look like we don't care. ...."

What I wonder about is: do we have a specific objective? do we have firm ROE for that objective? do we have an idea of what we're going to do if the guys we send in get slaughtered because they're grossly outnumbered? Etc.

Maybe everything will work out in Liberia, I'm just saying I have a bad feeling about the headlines I'm reading. That was before I got axed. Heh, maybe I should enlist.

• Reply 10 of 32
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

It appears we're about to embark on another poorly thought-out military mission in Africa [not to mention all the civilians being killed there]. I wonder what the name of the movie will be...

AIDS is on the rise in US for the first time in a decade.

...and the most symoblic of them all, we get news that Bob Hope has died. Never a good thing when Hope dies. At least he lead a very full life, and one we are all the better for having witnessed.

[I'm just waiting for N. Korea to announce it has sold a nuclear warhead to some rogue group, and that the device is now nicely parked in one of our sea ports..]

You still got your dick don't ya? Well jerk off already.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    \
  • Reply 12 of 32
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Moogs:

Quote:

Grover I'm not much of a military strategist, but so far the Liberia thing seems to me to be a "well, we gotta send *someone* over there or else we'll look like we don't care. ...."

The objective, it seems, is to mediate the bloody war being fought and end the fighting.

LURD has had the capital under seige for over a week now, trying to oust Charles Taylor. We want Taylor gone, but naturally this violence isn't preferable.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

You still got your dick don't ya? Well jerk off already.

Great philosophy: WHen everything else fails, masturbate.

What if he is impotent?

• Reply 14 of 32
    Or too depressed to masturbate. Hard for Artman to fathom I realize. You know how those Flyers fans are. They're so often reminded of jerkoffs like Bob Clarke and Eric Lindros that they can't help but whack it a couple times a day.

• Reply 15 of 32
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

We want [insert name of oppressive ruler here] gone, but naturally this violence isn't preferable.

Wow.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Quote:

I'm sorry to hear that Moogs. Maybe this is an opportunity to do something that you've always wanted to do. Or maybe a move to a location you've always wanted to go. Good luck.

For the rest of the stuff, I'd take the "ignore it" approach.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Thank you. All things considered it is probably for the best, considering the road my employer is headed down. Even so, it's a real shot to the ego to be let go during such bad economic times. Took me a while to find this role in the first place. *sigh* Life goes on, musn't it?

I am seriously considering revisiting my photography (and possibly writing) aspirations. And I'd love to move to Colorado or even Oregon if I could find a decent offer in one of the small towns I've toured out there. The hardest thing is just figuring out how to get "from here to there". Especially in such a competitive field. Stock is probably where I'd have to start.

Planning has never been my strong suit. Guess I better learn.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Sorry to hear about the job, but things can't better until things change (sorry again-- I'm a "the glass is twice as big as it has to be" guy).

Japanese proverb: Fall down seven times, stand up eight. And: Never split a rice cake with a sumo wrestler (I may not have gotten the translation quite right on that one).

Remember, the sun will come up again tomorrow, unless it explodes tonight. And finally, as Oscar Wilde put it, Life is too important to take seriously.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

yeah, and why cant i get into a decent MD-PhD program?!?

Because they're all bad. You can either do a real Ph.D. or an MD but not both.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Sorry to hear about the job, Moogs.

Why do you say it is a blow to your ego to be let go during hard economic times? (You don't have to answer, if it is too personal.) You can't blame yourself when a company downsizes. It just is what it is. It's when you get fired when everything is on the up and up that makes you wonder how things came to be, no?