Greatest athlete on Earth?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I think you need to do something more interesting with your body than ride a bike to be considered the greatest athlete. Lance might be a great all-around athlete, but he sure doesn't show it sitting on a bike pumping his legs. I think that's why people think of great basketball players, because you see so much diversity in what they do athletically, more so probably than other sports. I suppose you could look at some of those combined olympic sports.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    what about swimming?
  • Reply 23 of 64
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I think you need to do something more interesting with your body than ride a bike to be considered the greatest athlete. Lance might be a great all-around athlete, but he sure doesn't show it sitting on a bike pumping his legs. I think that's why people think of great basketball players, because you see so much diversity in what they do athletically, more so probably than other sports. I suppose you could look at some of those combined olympic sports.

I guess winning Tour de France 5 years on the trot is no big deal
  • Reply 24 of 64
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

It's absolutely great in terms of biking. But biking isn't diagnostic of overall athletic ability to the same extent as other sports such as basketball. If you had phrased the question as "greatest accomplishment in a sport" then Lance's 5-peat would be up there pretty high, along with Tiger's 4 consecutive majors.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Quote:

what about being a better hitter than anyone else in baseball during the twilight of his career? or being the best basketball player of his generation? bonds and jordan have dominated their sports during their generations. does that make them the best athletes in the world?? sorry kelib, but your logic is flawed.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

It's absolutely great in terms of biking. But biking isn't diagnostic of overall athletic ability to the same extent as other sports such as basketball. If you had phrased the question as "greatest accomplishment in a sport" then Lance's 5-peat would be up there pretty high, along with Tiger's 4 consecutive majors.

exactly. yet more reasoning for why this thread is pointless...
  • Reply 27 of 64
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

exactly. yet more reasoning for why this thread is pointless...

yea. it's true but I think the purpose is just for fun and opinion. everything doesn't have to be taken so seriously.

I say Wade Boggs

What.... i love Boggs
  • Reply 28 of 64
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I say Wade Boggs

According to reports he's got one hell of a tongue.

• Reply 29 of 64
    It sure as hell isn't Tiger or any golfer. Any sport which has a seniors tour and in which players in their 40s and 50s are still able to compete somewhat competently if not at quite the same level as with athletes in their 20s has a limited amount of athleticism involved. To be excellent at golf is certainly an accomplishment to be respected and one that may be just as difficult to hone as those in more athletic sports but that doesn't make it any more athletic than billiards or curling for example.

Besides, everyone knows that Bo Jackson is the greatest athlete ever!
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Although, whoever brought up Wade Boggs and his tongue, reminded me of another ballplayer, Pete Rose. Not only is Pete Rose the all time hits leader but he also is the self-proclaimed World's Greatest Pussy Eater. That's a powerful argument for world's greatest athlete.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    Kelib,

a clarification would be helpful - do you mean most accomplished? Or do you mean most dominant in their sport? or do you mean most athletic? (ie: highest VOx capacity, etc)
  • Reply 32 of 64
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

It sure as hell isn't Tiger or any golfer.

Why is it that people assume golfers are not athletes. Well of course Craig Staedler is overweight. But look at Tiger (who supposedly benches 300lbs) is a fitness freak. And most of the young guns are also athletic and strong.

Certainly the greatest athlete should not only possess brawn, but skill too. You could then add Gretzky, McEnroe in the skill department.

Again it boils down to asking who is pound for pound the fittest or who has most dominated their sport.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    anna kournikova.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Roy Jones Jr.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
  • Reply 36 of 64
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

To be excellent at golf is certainly an accomplishment to be respected and one that may be just as difficult to hone as those in more athletic sports but that doesn't make it any more athletic than billiards or curling for example.

Golf is certainly more athletic than curling (don't even speak of billiards : why not chess ? ). people never question if hurling is athletic. Throwing a golf ball at over 300 yards is certainly athletic. Hitting a ball in a deep feet with a long iron is even more : i never succeed this, nor even any amator, and it's not only a question of technical skill, it's a question also of raw power.

Two of the best players of the world are athletic : Tiger woods ,and Ernie Els. Tiger is well known and make a physical training each day. Ernie els is an athlete, in his youth he belonged to a south africa team of rugby.

Of course is not just only beeing athletic, there is technic, strategy, mental skill (this is the most difficult part) ...
  • Reply 37 of 64
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    In cyclism the greatest athlete on earth is a woman : Jeannie Longo.

She wins 13 world championships, break 38 world records, win more than 800 victories, Olympic champion ...

Here is the link to her site : http://jeannielongo.free.fr/pages/pa...synthese.html.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Does Ron Jeremy count?
  • Reply 39 of 64
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    My boy Eldrick !!!!

• Reply 40 of 64
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

It certainly is, but Indurain did the same thing from 1991-95. 5 TdFs in a row puts you among the elite, but it certainly doesn't automatically vault you to the crest of the wave.