Greatest athlete on Earth?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

Does Ron Jeremy count?

Yeah, I guess he wins for sheer stamina and number of conquests!
  • Reply 42 of 64
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Wayne G. Period. Forum closed. Please drive through.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Kelly Slater
  • Reply 44 of 64
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

exactly. yet more reasoning for why this thread is pointless...

No offence mate, but wouldn't life be pretty boring if all was to be taking so seriously
  • Reply 45 of 64
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

"The Greatest", Muhammad Ali

You took the words right out of my mouth. I second that one.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    the greatest athlete of my lifetime died last year.....
  • Reply 47 of 64
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    All the athletes mentioned are athletes that excel in one discipline. All of us fall into the "best in the world syndrome" where we feel a need to label our favourite athletes the best in the world. I don't think we can name a specific athlete who excels in only one dicipline the "best athlete in the world". If anything my vote would go for a more complete athlete...like a decathlete.

I don't follow the sport, but a quick search gave me: Roman Sebrle (Decathlete, Czech Republic) The world record holder in the decathlon (9,026 points).

Yeah, Armstrong(he's an amazing athlete I agree) may kick their asses in one event, but I'd love to see him against the top decathlete in 10 Olympic events.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

All the athletes mentioned are athletes that excel in one discipline. All of us fall into the "best in the world syndrome" where we feel a need to label our favourite athletes the best in the world. I don't think we can name a specific athlete who excels in only one dicipline the "best athlete in the world". If anything my vote would go for a more complete athlete...like a decathlete.

I don't follow the sport, but a quick search gave me: Roman Sebrle (Decathlete, Czech Republic) The world record holder in the decathlon (9,026 points).

Yeah, Armstrong(he's an amazing athlete I agree) may kick their asses in one event, but I'd love to see him against the top decathlete in 10 Olympic events.

And I'd like to see your decathlon runner in a boxing match with Ali.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

And I'd like to see your decathlon runner in a boxing match with Ali.

and i'd like to see Ali in a decathlon.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

No offence mate, but wouldn't life be pretty boring if all was to be taking so seriously

silly euro...
  • Reply 51 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

All the athletes mentioned are athletes that excel in one discipline.

I don't know if he's the greatest athlete on Earth, but at least Armstrong is a former triathlete.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Ichiro
  • Reply 53 of 64
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    You have to define the criteria first, as a couple people have alluded to. Not only do you have to define whether you're assessing raw athletic talent and breadth of skill vs. accomplishment, but you have to delineate individual sports vs. team sports IMO.

If you are going by the best combination of pure talent and accomplishment for an individual, I have a hard time giving one person the title.

Lance Armstrong, Pete Sampras, Carl Lewis and even Tiger are all equally deserving IMO. And that's just for the latest generation or two of athletes -- not even considering the likes of Indurain, Borg or even Jack Nicklaus for example.

If on the other hand you're considering individuals who play team sports, you cannot overlook Michael, Wayne, Joe, Hank or Pele. To name a few.

You simply cannot make the statement "greatest athlete ever" or "greatest athlete on earth" and at the same time be making a definitive statement...because it's very easy to argue otherwise for almost anyone you name.

Then you have a whole host of people who only won a few titles or championships or big tournaments, but who were absolutely the most talented person to ever set foot on their respective fields in a very long time. They simply did not grasp as many big moments as they could have for whatever reason. Notably:

Greg Norman - other than Tiger I cannot think of a single golfer who had this man's talent and fearless approach to the game. Ever. Had he simply been a little wiser and a bit luckier, it might be his records Tiger is breaking today. He was the next Nicklaus until Larry Mize started him down a road from which he never mentally recovered.

Andre Agassi - similar to Norman in general terms (hugely talented but prone to mental letdowns after a bad loss), however he did get back into it and won several grand slams when many thought he was finished. I would argue Agassi in his prime was actually as talented or more talented than Sampras, but Sampras was almost always smarter.

Basketball is littered with these types of players but I don't consider any to be on par talent-wise with Michael. Close, but no cigar. Guys like Charles, Karl and Patrick for example.

Baseball is littered with them too, most notably A-Rod. Probably the single most talented player I've watched in the last 15 years or so, including fielding skills and consistency over a number of seasons. Will Clarke was also a tremendous talent who if I remember only won a couple rings. He was an extremely gifted ball player in his prime.

And on and on the list goes...

[edit: almost forgot the greatest sport EVAR - Hockey eh?

Mario - would be noted as the "best ever" had he won more than two Cups. The best vision and hands the game has ever seen.

Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe, etc.

Today, if you forgot about championships and just looked at young players excelling in their sport, I can think of no athlete more gifted than Marian Gaborik. If this kid continues to develop and takes care of his body, he is going to be a monster. Someone who could bring people to the game of hockey when before they had no interest. Just like Wayne or Mario did. Milan Hejduk is also an incredible player / athlete.

The combination of speed, endurance, agility, balance, coordination and toughness that they display every night is hard to match. Until you've played the game of hockey though it's hard to know what I'm talking about....]
  • Reply 54 of 64
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Wow, all of you are silly people with total lack of self respect, mindlessly worshiping others without any real point... after all, does it really matter if you believe person x is better than person y at event x that has nothing to do with you? As for me, I believe that I am the greatest athlete in the world 8)

</sarcasm>
  • Reply 55 of 64
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

and i'd like to see Ali in a decathlon.

In his prime and with a little specific training, he probably would have done pretty well.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Magnus Ver Magnussen is the best of the best.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Jim Thorpe. He competed in just about everything and won.

I'm with you. BTW When he received the gold medal from the King of Sweden he Said, "Thanks King"
  • Reply 58 of 64
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by taliesin

I'm with you. BTW When he received the gold medal from the King of Sweden he Said, "Thanks King"

That's really cool. Unfortunately I've been told that the thread only represents living individuals.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

the greatest athlete of my lifetime died last year.....

Isn't this a hotly debated topic between horse racing fanatics and breeders? Man O' War vs. Secretariat...and to a lesser extent vs. Citation?
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Either Tie Domi or Darcy Tucker.