2 week old Powerbook and the darn rubber feet are falling off!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am pretty mad. I have had this 12inch Powerbook for 2 weeks and the stupid little rubber feet are coming off! I have had Dell's and IBM's that this never happened to. Now the stupid thing wobbles. Sorry I had to vent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I am pretty mad. I have had this 12inch Powerbook for 2 weeks and the stupid little rubber feet are coming off! I have had Dell's and IBM's that this never happened to. Now the stupid thing wobbles. Sorry I had to vent.

welcome to the hell owning a Powerbook has been the last couple of years

although I never heard of the rubber feat on the 12 inch coming off yet. i'd bring it to an apple store. are they just glued on? probably could just super glue them back on
  • Reply 2 of 23
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Mine came off shortly after I got it. I've now lost all four, so it's even. I went to get some more from the Apple Store and they didn't have any. I'll get around to dealing with it some day. BTW, it's not that big a deal.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Me too. Bad bad foot design.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    mine have stayed on fine, but the little rubber part between the screen and the palmrest have rubbed off... a while ago someone posted a link to some rubber things that attached to the screen, where were they?

-Craig
  • Reply 5 of 23
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I can recommend a good Podiatrists. Seriously though, I do feel your frustrations. Since the introduction of the TI, Apple has focused more on presentation then praticality. My TI 500, 667 and 1ghz have all been plagued with manufacture defects. From none warrantee hinges braking to paint chipping, recently the battery lock broke, nothing a Bick pen spring can't fix. The iBook is no better, if you breath on it funny it will look like as if you took a Brilo pad to it. I wish Apple would stop designing for the flamboyant graphic artist and give us a solid notebook that I can use without a white glove. Long live the Wallstreet!
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I've lost 3 out of 4 (PB 12"). I've heard it disrupts the heatflow underneath if you don't have them, so I'm going to chase Apple on this on.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Good, luck getting anything from Apple. The feet on the 12" are "part of the bottom of the unit". So the entire bottom has to be replaced. And because the only way the feet should fall off is "abuse" it is not covered under AppleCare. So try, but I doubt Apple is going to give you new feet for less than $200.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    longhornlonghorn Posts: 147member
    The problem with the rubber feet is that they work too well. They stick so well to smooth surfaces, that unless you pick them straight up you will quickly tear them off.

Sliding a PB around on smooth surfaces has been the #1 culprit I've seen re: losing feet.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Two of mine fell off so I ripped the third off and half of one stayed on the battery. Disrupts the heat flow!? Shit I did this months ago. If this broke my SuperDrive (gives errors in Toast 5.2.1, makes credits in movies crash DVD Player) I'll demand a repair. I didn't buy AppleCare but Apple better fix this, they fall off after only a week or two. Also, I think that is why people see the "rocking" PowerBook 12"s. The case doesn't bend or warp dodos, the feet fell off. I used to use a dime to stabilize it but that got annoying so I just ripped the last foot off. \
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Shit.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Good, luck getting anything from Apple. The feet on the 12" are "part of the bottom of the unit". So the entire bottom has to be replaced. And because the only way the feet should fall off is "abuse" it is not covered under AppleCare. So try, but I doubt Apple is going to give you new feet for less than $200.

Luckily I'm protected by UK consumer protection law, which is pretty good really. Feet falling off as part of normal use is certainly not abuse. My experience of Apple support in the UK has always been good - even for some people I know who really did abuse kit (don't switch the voltage selector on a Power Mac G4 110v then switch it on kids!). The guy who did this got a new PSU fitted and his machine back within 3 days.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Umm Apple Service is outstanding. However I don't care about the feet. Unless they are modifying the heat flow. Are they really necessary for heat dispersion? Did I already damage my PowerBook 12"!? (the SuperDrive won't burn DVD-Rs completely)
  • Reply 13 of 23
    sushiismsushiism Posts: 131member
    well i have had my ti800 for nearly a year and its been heaven, no chipping yet, no dead pixels, the computer has worked utterly flawlessly, my god im so glad i got an apple now ive used pcs for years and this machine has been utter heaven, best thing since my amiga 500 haha
  • Reply 14 of 23
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    I erplaced my rubber feet with some clear, rounded ones from the harware store.

They never came off. And you get about twice the height , better heat dissipation...

MSKR
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Umm Apple Service is outstanding. However I don't care about the feet. Unless they are modifying the heat flow. Are they really necessary for heat dispersion? Did I already damage my PowerBook 12"!? (the SuperDrive won't burn DVD-Rs completely)

yes, the feet are required or your powerbook could very well overheat.

i had my powerbook on a commercial rug surface the other day. not pretty. got extremely hot
  • Reply 16 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

yes, the feet are required or your powerbook could very well overheat.

i had my powerbook on a commercial rug surface the other day. not pretty. got extremely hot

Heh, I had my friends on my rug on the 4th of July and I was thinking that is just how hot they got. I am happy I know they run cooler then that normally. (will be a nice heater in the winter though to keep me toasty)
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Well if there is any damage then Apple will have to pay for it. Like the way my SuperDrive won't finish burning DVDs.

Funny, because I kind of liked how the lack of feet made it even skinnier. I'm so ecstatic about how small it is. I hope they get smaller (with the same size screen and keyboard)
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Well if there is any damage then Apple will have to pay for it. Like the way my SuperDrive won't finish burning DVDs.

Funny, because I kind of liked how the lack of feet made it even skinnier. I'm so ecstatic about how small it is. I hope they get smaller (with the same size screen and keyboard)

my superdrive wont finish burning DVDs UNLESS they are Apple brand. I used Maxells and it hung right near the end of the burn and never finished.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

my superdrive wont finish burning DVDs UNLESS they are Apple brand. I used Maxells and it hung right near the end of the burn and never finished.

Was that your burning problem or was it something else? (In regaurs to your other thread)
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Exactly, I think I smell a class action or recall.

Toast says HARDWARE SENSE ERROR 00x03 and hangs at the end of burning. Fortunately it only crashes DVD Player and my set top after the credits begin but when I need to burn data I don't want to risk that. They are brand x DVDR but still, I never had problems with brand x cdr, and they are several different brands I've tried. Not cool. I'm going to call Apple tomorrow if I can get out of work early enough!