Fox Sues Al Franken!

Comments

• Reply 161 of 281
    A great big gloating

BUMP!

SDW, trumptman, OBJIRA! Come out and slag the judge off! If you were right then you're still right now and American justice is as slanted as the treacherous liberal media!

AMERICA NEEDS YOU! Come out and fight your corner!
  • Reply 162 of 281
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    *bump*
  • Reply 163 of 281
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Check out alfrankendweb.com to see when he'll be on and see all the related articles.

There's acouple reviews of the book there too.

I watched the O'Reilly Factor on friday night to see if he would mention it... not a peep.

Also checked out Joe Conason on the Chris Mathews show... he was up against Prager... Joe would patiently wiat for Prager to make his point and not interrupt... but when Joe spoke Prager would try and talk over him to stop him from making a point...

I think Joe tries to set an example of being respectful and sticking to topic... apparently everyone is so used to the shouting matches that they don't know how to act when he's on.
  • Reply 164 of 281
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

I think Joe tries to set an example of being respectful and sticking to topic... apparently everyone is so used to the shouting matches that they don't know how to act when he's on.

Yeah, I've got a lot of time for Conason. His arguments are intelligent, reasoned, and insightful. I'm much more interested in reading 'Big Lies' than Franken's book. I understand Franken's intention is to use the approach that people like Ann Coulter have been taking for years, but it doesn't appeal to me.
  • Reply 165 of 281
    I just bought Big Lies... it's great.

Actually I think Al does 2 things... he calls out the conservatives on thier lies and then has some fun and tells some satirical fictional stories about some of the rightwingers... a parody of the sh!te the right wing pundits come up with.
  • Reply 166 of 281
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    El Bumpo says...

*BUMP!*

Come on SDW & Friends...No thoughts?
  • Reply 167 of 281
    Maybe we should start a... "Fox's case "Wholly without Merit" topic... we really new a topic that gloats.
  • Reply 168 of 281
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

El Bumpo says...

*BUMP!*

Come on SDW & Friends...No thoughts?

Fox haven't reported anything about it since Friday, so there's obviously a vacuum of new info for them to regurgitate.
  • Reply 169 of 281
    And they have to sit and take it while Al is all over the media this week!

He's on Crossfire tonight and tomorrow night.
  • Reply 170 of 281
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Joe Conason suggests Fox should change its slogan to "Wholly Without Merit."
  • Reply 171 of 281
    I think Fox should change their slogan to...

"Smoking the Rightwing Hooka"
  • Reply 172 of 281
    b

b

b

b

b

b

b

b

b

b

b

b

b

BUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMP!!!!!!
  • Reply 173 of 281
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Joe Conason suggests Fox should change its slogan to "Wholly Without Merit."

• Reply 174 of 281
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    As much as I like being right, I fear the pasting

we will receive for our extensive gloating.

Even right wingers are "right" sometimes (no one having

a premium claim to the truth.)

Thoth
  • Reply 175 of 281
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Fome the AP:

Quote:

Aug. 25, 2003 | NEW YORK (AP) -- Fox News dropped its lawsuit against Al Franken on Monday, three days after a federal judge refused to block the liberal humorist from using the Fox slogan "Fair and Balanced" on the cover of his book.

• Reply 176 of 281
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    This is a good lesson for people or institutions who sue people for stupid legal issues.

If Fox is not happy with Franken, he may just express their opinion in they columns. Trademarked fair and balanced is plain ridiculous, why not tradermarked all associations of three words in the english language ?

It's seems that judges had a good time : it's not so current in their hard task.
  • Reply 177 of 281
    Nah... we're just gloating because some thought we were wrong for being so sure... and then the Judge basically took the words right out our our mouths.

Hey... when you're right your right.

I'm sure we'll get it wrong too... but this one was a doozie.
  • Reply 178 of 281
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

Nah... we're just gloating because some thought we were wrong for being so sure... and then the Judge basically took the words right out our our mouths.

Hey... when you're right your right.

I'm sure we'll get it wrong too... but this one was a doozie.

Agreed.

I especially liked it when someone called me out about my "experience with such matters" (paraphrasing). Like he was the only lawyer on these boards....

Thoth
  • Reply 179 of 281
    I'm no lawyer and I think the judge quoted me!

It wasn't hard to see that this was gonna get tossed.
  • Reply 180 of 281
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    More info on the story from The Hollywood Reporter.

Quote:

Aug. 26, 2003

Fox News Channel drops lawsuit against Franken

NEW YORK -- Fox News Channel withdrew its lawsuit Monday against Al Franken over his upcoming book, which the network claimed infringed on its trademarked slogan. The retreat followed Fox's failure to obtain a preliminary injunction in court Friday, where a judge ruled in Franken's favor and declared the plaintiff's case to be "without merit." "It's time to return Al Franken to the obscurity that he's normally accustomed to," said a Fox News spokeswoman. "Fox's decision to cease trying to interfere with distribution of this book is welcome but overdue," said Floyd Abrams, the attorney representing Franken. "This case should never have been brought before a judge." Fox sued Franken over his new book, "Lies, and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right," claiming its use of the "fair and balanced" motto and a cover image including Fox commentator Bill O'Reilly would confuse readers into thinking the comedian was affiliated with the network. U.S. District Court Judge Denny Chin deemed the book title as a parody deserving of First Amendment protection.