Help me understand DSL (Join the fun!)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Dial up sucks, and even my parents are realizing that. So we'll be getting Earthlink DSL. Now I have wuite a few questions:

1) When we have DSL, can I plug my computer, via a CAT-5 cable, into ANY PHONE JACK IN THE HOUSE, and have internet?

2) We have wuite a few macs, and all of them should be able to have a DSL conncetion. How do I go about this? Do I need an ethernet hub to share the connection? Do I need multiple modems, one for each comp?

3) Do I even need a DSL modem? Or does the Ethernet card do the same thing?

4) Do I need a hub if I'm to see other computer's contents?

I am quite clueless on the subject, as you can see, and any clarification would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Dial up sucks, and even my parents are realizing that. So we'll be getting Earthlink DSL. Now I have wuite a few questions:

1) When we have DSL, can I plug my computer, via a CAT-5 cable, into ANY PHONE JACK IN THE HOUSE, and have internet?

2) We have wuite a few macs, and all of them should be able to have a DSL conncetion. How do I go about this? Do I need an ethernet hub to share the connection? Do I need multiple modems, one for each comp?

3) Do I even need a DSL modem? Or does the Ethernet card do the same thing?

4) Do I need a hub if I'm to see other computer's contents?

I am quite clueless on the subject, as you can see, and any clarification would be appreciated.

Answers:

1) No, you cannot plug a CAT5/RJ45 cable into a phone jack in the first place, it's wider. The phone line that has the DSL on it is plugged into a DSL modem or router that is usually supplied free-of-charge from earthlink. It makes the connection to the DSL and gives you a RJ45 connection port to plug in your network port to using a patch cable.

2) To connect multiple computers to a DSL line you must have a network switch/hub. There are a couple ways of doing this. You can either buy a broadband router that has multiple ports on it (wired or wireless) or buy that AND a small switch and then plug the router into the switch. The router acts as your default gateway and can even act as a DHCP server and give your mac's (and pc's if the case applies) IP addresses so everyone can talk together and share the internet connection. Earthlink actually has a wireless bundle you can get straight from them if you'd like to give them a little extra money.

3) Yep, gotta have the modem, DSL comes in on a phone line, so it can't plug into your network card.

4) Yep, like I said a small switch/hub would give you a small peer-to-peer network whether or not you were going to share DSL or not. Just setup your appletalk and/or TCP/IP network stuff... I have no idea how to do the appletalk stuff. You'll have to use TCP/IP for the DSL router, that's all I know.

ME
  • Reply 2 of 22
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Is this the real placebo?

These seem like strange questions for someone with 637 posts...

You'll need a DSL modem, a router, and a whole bunch of CAT-5 ethernet cabling. The router will log onto the internet and your computers will log onto the router.

My advice... find a computer guru to help you in person with the setup. It can be quite complicated unless you have experience with the technology.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Are all the computers in the same room? If the answer to that is no, then forget about wiring all the computers with ethernet. Go wireless.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Is this the real placebo?

These seem like strange questions for someone with 637 posts...

You'll need a DSL modem, a router, and a whole bunch of CAT-5 ethernet cabling. The router will log onto the internet and your computers will log onto the router.

My advice... find a computer guru to help you in person with the setup. It can be quite complicated unless you have experience with the technology.

Quiet, you. Post count does not mean wisdom; it just means being too talkative.

The reason I'm asking such newbie-esque questions is that I really haven't dealt with setting up DSL before. You wanna fight? Huh?

I've set up many local networks in my time, but not with shared internet.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Quote:

I've set up many local networks in my time, but not with shared internet.

Setup the LAN as normal, then use a spare ports on the hub/switch to connect a DSL router to.

Personally, i always recommend the ethernet DSL routers, as they can be anywhere on your LAN, but the USB ones have to be connected to a single computer running internet connection sharing.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    And the next question is, "What hub should I get"?

Linksys?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    As far as I know, to distribute one WAN connection (your DSL account) among many computers (on a LAN), you will most definitely need a router, and not just some hub or switch. Just terminology, but important nonetheless, for the price and possibilities of these three vary pretty much (routers being, if I'm not mistaken, the most expensive, generally).
  • Reply 8 of 22
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I'm running a netgear MR314 router/wireless-node. For around a hundred bucks, your get wireless access and four ethernet ports. Since I don't transfer large files over our LAN, only the wifi is used presently. 802.11b is way faster than DSL so it doesn't make any difference that wireless is slower than wired networking in this situation. If you've got a few dollars to spare, go this route. You can stick the DSL modem and wifi-router on the most out of the way phone jack and forget about them. Everything can be configured from your web browser. My desk thus has only one wire coming off of it, a power cord from the UPS. This means by unplugging one cord, I can role the desk anywhere without loosing net access.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    be carefull about doing this w/ earthlink tho, whatever you do, dont let them know ur spliting the connection. in the TOS it states that their basic dsl service is for one computer at one time, they want you to pay for the privilage of netowrking more of them, via their "Home Networking" package, but there is no way that they can tell if more than one is networked.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    I'm pretty sure you're supposed to have to use a router (as opposed to a hub) to share a DSL connection, but I have friends who are sharing 1 verizon DSL connection among 3 computers using a hub (wall->DSL modem->hub->computes) At home I have it setup wall->DSL modem->airport->hub->computers. I don't know much about the technicalities of all this stuff, but I know how to set it up, and that both these setups work. I also know that at my friends' house , all computers are setup to use PPPoE (point to point protocol over ethernet) but at home, the airport (and I presume any other router would work the same way) must be setup to use PPPoE, but the computers connected to that need only be setup to get an IP using DHCP, and not set to use PPPoE.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    ur confusing him again, its a router, not a hub

but then again, you could use a hub if u were clever enough to telnet into the modem and turn on the built in dhcp server....

ok, nm on that one. my advice to you is to go and get a linksys 4 port cable/dsl router. i have one and they are very reliable and simple to use. i used to have a belkin, and loved it, however, after having it and its 2 replacements die on me (thank god for belkins great lifetime warranty) i bought the linksys.

the one im talking about can be found here.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Earthlink says that if I pay an extra $10 a month (fat chance), every phone line in my house will be a DSL line. When I pay that, what am I actually getting?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Earthlink says that if I pay an extra $10 a month (fat chance), every phone line in my house will be a DSL line. When I pay that, what am I actually getting?

Do you mean phone lines (as in different telephone numbers) or phone jacks (as in places to plug in a phone)?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

ur confusing him again, its a router, not a hub

but then again, you could use a hub if u were clever enough to telnet into the modem and turn on the built in dhcp server...

Expand upon this!
  • Reply 15 of 22
    at very least, on the modem i have, it has a built in dhcp server, my modem is the one that earthlink gave me when i signed up for service, its a zyxel 645 series modem. ive figured out how to turn on the dhcp server, but i cant seem to figure out how to get it to sign on by itself. ive found where to enter internet access info, but not sure how to set it up. i think the problem might be that i dont know my dns servers.

edit: err, umm, cant see how i missed this, but the problem is that i dont seem to see a way to do NAT w/ this thing... so nm the whole dhcp server thing.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I've decided to go with Home PNA, because it's not as expensive as wireless, but a heck of a lot more convenient than standard ethernet. Earthlink sells a HPNA gateway, and a $10 a month extra fee applies. What's with this fee?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    **smacks forhead**

thats what i told you not to do

the 10$ fee is cuz earthlink dosent like the idea of you sharing ur connection, so they make u pay 10 extra so that u can do it w/ their permission. there is no technical reason that you cant do it w/o their permission, as there is virtually no way that they can tell.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Dangit man, where do you live? I do this kind of stuff for a living! I'd have you networked, sharing the DSL and printers, computers and all in under 30 minutes. My first post explained most of it. Wireless costs just barely more than earthlink's HPNA, but you don't have to worry about paying $120/yr more in payments either. I can explain exactly how to set it up, even your DSL 642R or 642M (I think those are the models) router/modem to make it a bridge and then run a wired or wireless broadband router from it. It's too easy!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by spotcatbug

Do you mean phone lines (as in different telephone numbers) or phone jacks (as in places to plug in a phone)?

I mean jack. Sorry.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

**smacks forhead**

thats what i told you not to do

the 10$ fee is cuz earthlink dosent like the idea of you sharing ur connection, so they make u pay 10 extra so that u can do it w/ their permission. there is no technical reason that you cant do it w/o their permission, as there is virtually no way that they can tell.

That's what I thought. So I can buy any Home PNA adapter, and be fine, right?