G5 Cube

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    Quote:

no, no way to implant a G5 proc into a Cube!

ZZZZzzzzzzzZZZzzzzz. Yeesh, how many times do we hear this?

Yet, funny enough, Pentium and Athlon Bevil Grill heater cpus go into laptops and even those 'Cuboids' that sell for £299 start kits in PC World.

Even more funny, the Cuboids of certain PC companies come with exceptional performance, configurable and innovative heat/dispel tech' that would put the Cube to shame. If they can cram the latest Athlon and Ati cards into it then why can't Apple do the same? (Maybe they could start by giving it fans...quiet ones like in the iMac2...and an innovative cooling system...)

Once such Cuboid won a PCWorld (mag) award. It saw off all desktop machine AIO with its performance. Blew them away in fact.

Also, the G5 can 'power down' to 1.3 gig.

So. It's a matter of will. Of desire. Of clarity. I believe the Cube has it's place as a cheap headless G4 Mac with a 1-1.25 G4 in it. A throw away Switcher box for £499 inc VAT.

In addition, a pro-Cube could offer a sub Tower Mac that fits inbetween the current G5 and iMac2.

I believe there is a market for the cube. Not one, but several. Along less rigid and expensive lines than before. Less poncy. More quirky, more practical.

It's up to Apple. Maybe it's up to us. We should shout louder for it?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 22 of 100
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

ZZZZzzzzzzzZZZzzzzz. Yeesh, how many times do we hear this?

Lemon Bon Bon

as long as some people will accept, that it's not only a new processor, but also a completly new mainboard design?_who said pipes?
  • Reply 23 of 100
    http://www.kemplar.com/apple_cube_ts.htm

The closest thing you'll probably see to a G5 cube, at least until someone does this same thing for the G5.
  • Reply 24 of 100
    goto:

http://www.apple.com/powermac/video/

and you'll see that they have seriously considered the heat disapation of the G5, they do have 4 heating/cooling chambers and a huge amount of fans, more than in our whole house combined.

sticking one of these in a Cube would require a huge fan, and blowing fast.

Maybe they could borrow that technology in air purifiers, that is only supposed to create a breeze with out fans: ionic breeze. It would need to be modified to be smaller, and not "purify the air" so much, because that would create problems of cleaning of dust...and so forth.

-walloo
  • Reply 25 of 100
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

the G5 is not just a "new processor", it has a completly new architecture, the mainboard is totally diffenrent from any other mac apple has build before.

no, no way to implant a G5 proc into a Cube!

Oh, I don't know. If the entire cube was a heatsink, it might work...
  • Reply 26 of 100
    The powermac g5 ICEcube
  • Reply 27 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

Maybe they could borrow that technology in air purifiers, that is only supposed to create a breeze with out fans: ionic breeze. It would need to be modified to be smaller, and not "purify the air" so much, because that would create problems of cleaning of dust...and so forth.

Why cripple the air purification functions? A small cute box that kills smog and shrinks the dicks of Windroids all at once sounds like an efficient solution to our two worst environmental problems!

• Reply 28 of 100
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

No. OS 9 is dead, the Cube is just in hibernation.

"Its just a flesh wound"
  • Reply 30 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rob Nance

http://www.kemplar.com/apple_cube_ts.htm

The closest thing you'll probably see to a G5 cube, at least until someone does this same thing for the G5.

wow, tempting...
  • Reply 31 of 100
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Nothing to see here people, move along...
  • Reply 32 of 100
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

wow, tempting...

Yes it is, but with the educational discount, I can buy a 1.6GHz G5 for $1799. For me the smaller footprint doesn't outweight the benefits of a new G5 for only $120 more, but then again that's just me.

Still tempting though.

Just thought I'd add;

If the Templar cube had a 1.4GHz G5, with a standard size AGP4X card w/ 32MB, at the same price point, it would be all the more tempting.
  • Reply 33 of 100
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Yup, SFF (small form factor) PCs are catching on in the PC world as well.

Small pic of my iBook next to one of my SFF PCs and also a customized one at this year's E3.
  • Reply 34 of 100
    http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,59764-2,00.html 02:00 AM Jul. 28, 2003 PT

Quote:

In about six weeks, PowerLogix will follow up with a dual 1.6-GHz processor upgrade card, which will make the Cube faster than Apple's current dual 1.4-GHz Power Macs.

eh???
  • Reply 35 of 100
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

Having opened up my Cube to upgrade the hard drive, I have to say that it's already almost there.
  • Reply 36 of 100
    For the people wishing for a cheaper Cube, would it still be acceptable if the case was no longer a clear ABS? What if it went to a translucent iMac color or solid shade, altogether?

Me personally, I think the clear Cube is way to go, but I'm just polling if people would still be interested if it was no longer clear (thus making the case potentially cheaper to manufacture). Maybe even an extruded aluminum case? That might increase costs again, but it also would give an extra avenue for heatsinking for those hot G5 chips...
  • Reply 37 of 100
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well it depends on what they called it, how they marketed it and the type of processor it had in it: if it was meant to be a "pro" thing, then I think it would look dead sexy in the matte aluminum and subtle curves of the G5 (holes optional...although I guess they'd be all over the top and bottom for ventilation and all, right?).

If it was meant as more of an iCube sort of thing, then cool, sleek white glossy plastic with a chrome Apple logo on it would look really nice too.

Take an iPod, the logo off the front of the LCD iMac and one of those Klee-nex boxes (the tall ones), put them into a blender and voila!

• Reply 38 of 100
    Well I don't think the "Pro" thing is really suited for a Cube product. Naturally, a pro-model is best handled by a PowerMac tower where you have considerable freedom/room to add more stuff inside. There's just no way a Cube design could compete with that (w/o somebody doing serious complaining), and even if it did, it would just be duplicating its [a PM tower] functionality (so what would be the point wrt Apple going through the trouble?). That said, a Cube definitely seems like a home user targeted device. At the most, it could be used in an executive office sort of environment, as far as professional use goes. Just IMHO, of course.
  • Reply 39 of 100
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'm just sayin' what they SHOULD look like...

Apple made the original Cube look like the G4 tower, sold it at a G4 tower (and then some) price. So hopefully they wouldn't make that mistake again.

Yes, a white glossy "iCube" probably makes more sense, target/market-wise.

Then again, I've learned there aren't necessarily clean-cut, black & white dividing lines between "pro" and "consumer" and so forth. Someone's always going to feel left out or cheated and want to bitch about "THERE'S NO EXPANSION! WAAAAAHHHH! And no slots?!? This SUCKS!"

"Well, it's an 8" cube, dipshit...what do you expect? Then buy a tower and shut up."

• Reply 40 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

CONFIRMED by Moki, Apple will sell a G5 cube made from a single piece of machined aluminum!

So Moki, you've been really quiet lately... you can't be that busy. no time for sharing on the AI boards anymore?