****confirmed**** I Am Coming To America

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ooooh yes.

A whistle-stop tour of twelve days taking in N'Ork, Hertford Connecticut, Vermont and a bit of desert somewhere in continental North America with my girlfriend, the mellifluous potential future Mrs Sabeh, currently waiting for me in an apartment somewhere in Brooklyn.

I cannae wait. Flying in to JFK for the first of October, flying back in time to get down the dole office on Monday the 12th. (This is actually true.)

Ai me.

Any requests for European-type stuff unavailable in America? Anyone in New York want to put and my girlfriend up for four nights?

Thought not.

Anyway. WAY HAY!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Are people named Hassan allowed in the US anymore?

If you make it out west near Yellowstone park, I'll give you a place to stay.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Are people named Hassan allowed in the US anymore?

If you make it out west near Yellowstone park, I'll give you a place to stay.

NO! you can't make him sit on old faithful and tell him how cool it feels when it goes off!

come, stay on the streets of boston! there are lots of people there already(some with lots of money too).
  • Reply 3 of 55
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Stay out of Hartford; there are definitely better places to spend your time and money. Boston would be [a much better alternative] if you have to stay out east.

Otherwise I highly recommend a two day stint to Chicago (I think some of the cheapy airlines fly between NY and Chicago): great architecture, great culture (art, music, diversity), and really great food.

Chicago OWNz!¡

• Reply 4 of 55
    BRussell, bless you. Thanks.

I have to go to Hertford because that's where my girlfriend's parents live, so that's non-negotiable. Hey ho. I have a dear friend who lives in Boston, though, so I'll almost certainly be going there. It's going to be a New England excursion: Moogs, I don't think I'll be visiting C-town (as I believe it's known.)

USA I'm on way!

Cal-e-forn-eye-ay!
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Stay out of Hartford; there are definitely better places to spend your time and money. Boston would be [a much better alternative] if you have to stay out east.

Otherwise I highly recommend a two day stint to Chicago (I think some of the cheapy airlines fly between NY and Chicago): great architecture, great culture (art, music, diversity), and really great food.

Chicago OWNz!¡

and great and semi-great A-Iers!
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Actually my new location refers to the city, not me. I have clearly yet to attain "periphery of greatness" status as an individual. I'm still stuck in Upper Mediocrity I think. Just another case of the man keepin' me down.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:

Actually my new location refers to the city, not me. I have clearly yet to attain "periphery of greatness" status as an individual. I'm still stuck in Upper Mediocrity I think. Just another case of the man keepin' me down.

(laughing) i didn't even notice that in your location! that was truly just a coincidence.....but for the record i am not a great A/Ier. i was thinking of bunge and scott as the great ones.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    See? Even the notion of the possibility of me being great didn't cross your mind; still Chicago kicks maximum booteh.

• Reply 9 of 55
    If you are going to desert then Southern Utah and Northern Arizona is your winner. Plenty of other great arid places as well but that is the best IMO. Fly to Salt Lake City, flee the looney tunes Mormons and head South and a bit East till it gets purty. The area bounded by I-70, I-40, I-25 and say I-15 owns your moms. Probably about as large as the UK in land mass but it is excellent pretty much in it's entirety

Hartford blows. Whoever this girl is, she better have a nice rack to compensate for the moron family that I know you are about to marry into if your future in-laws are stupid enough to live in such a place.

If you come to Washington I'll take you up onto a glacier and push you into a crevasse or something equally fun. Or we can run around and leave "No blood for Oil" signs all over town. We can even draw in little puppies drowning in oil in the corner and give them Tony Blair faces as well since he is after all our favorite lapdog. I might even kick a soccer ball at you while allowing you to regurgitate the Euro-misnomer that it is a "football".
  • Reply 10 of 55
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Hartford is not so bad. It's no New Haven, Fairfield, Stamford, Danbury or Norwalk, not to mention Mystic and New London, but it's not devastating. Just stay away from Bridgeport.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath:

Hartford blows. Whoever this girl is, she better have a nice rack to compensate for the moron family that I know you are about to marry into if your future in-laws are stupid enough to live in such a place.

• Reply 12 of 55
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    You could visit 'amish country' and buy a REAL whoopie pie. See cows (that aren't mad) and the 'simple' way of life. Then again I would understand not wanting all of that .
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Quote:

See? Even the notion of the possibility of me being great didn't cross your mind; still Chicago kicks maximum booteh.

the other night i was walking from the jazz fest by the new millinium park, which right now in it's uncompleted form is quite amazing looking, and i thought to myself......."jeez, it's great to live here..."

i just got done reading 'The Devil in the White City' by Erik Larson and it's given me even greater respect for Chicago.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    I hear our fair district is particularly crappy in early October.

That being said, drop me a line if you swing this far south.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

the other night i was walking from the jazz fest by the new millinium park, which right now in it's uncompleted form is quite amazing looking, and i thought to myself......."jeez, it's great to live here..."

i just got done reading 'The Devil in the White City' by Erik Larson and it's given me even greater respect for Chicago.

Ah yes millennium park. Great things happen when the Mayor doesn't have to bother with planning or budgets or permits or ... Wait 'till they put the bean in.

Where ya goin' to in Vermont Hassan? My stepmother is up that way.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Ah yes millennium park. Great things happen when the Mayor doesn't have to bother with planning or budgets or permits or ... Wait 'till they put the bean in.

count on mr. positivo for a hearty thumbs up.

obviously there have been problems, (i mean it's "millennium park" after all) but it will be the crown jewel of the lakefront when finished.

it might even make up for the monstrosity at soldier fields.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

count on mr. positivo for a hearty thumbs up.

obviously there have been problems, (i mean it's "millennium park" after all) but it will be the crown jewel of the lakefront when finished.

it might even make up for the monstrosity at soldier fields.

Would you be positive if you saw your tax dollars going into a project who's budget has been spiraling out of control due to complete disregard for the process? Great idea to break ground when you don't have the plans finished. Daley is well known for this type of stuff.

You're also wrong that the "crown jewel" of the lake front will be MP. The crown jewel, at least in that area, has always been and will always be the Art Institute of Chicago. 100s of priceless works of art vs someplace to buy overpriced stand food and listen to blues has beens. I know which one I'll take.

• Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Would you be positive if you saw your tax dollars going into a project who's budget has been spiraling out of control due to complete disregard for the process? Great idea to break ground when you don't have the plans finished. Daley is well known for this type of stuff.

You're also wrong that the "crown jewel" of the lake front will be MP. The crown jewel, at least in that area, has always been and will always be the Art Institute of Chicago. 100s of priceless works of art vs someplace to buy overpriced stand food and listen to blues has beens. I know which one I'll take.

i meant visually, from the outside.

obviously the art institute is the most valuable, but i'm surprised you don't have something to grumble about that.

"that monet is too blurry"

"whataya mean the american gothic is on tour"

"but it says SUGGESTED donation"
  • Reply 19 of 55
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

"that monet is too blurry"

"whataya mean the american gothic is on tour"

"but it says SUGGESTED donation"

Oh my god this really is the funniest post I've ever read on AO. Thank you Superkarate!

I'm not kidding everyone. Please, understand, this is f-ing hillarious. So funny that if you don't think it's funny it's because you are mentally incapable of understanding the situation. It really is that funny.

And Superkarate, I'm not being sarcastic when I say it's the funniest post ever in AO. You get my thumbs up today.

THANK YOU.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    if you look as funny as i do, be prepared for all of your stuff to be searched at JFK. the last time i was at JFK, there were 2 persons searched in the whole BA plane: me, and a mid eastern looking guy with a swedish passport. they bastards..