What to do about AO?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So it seems like a lot of people think that AO have gone downhill in the last couple of monthsand have become a shithole. I can´t really tell the difference but probably its just me who are growing thicker skin.

But what can we do to make AO better? If it is going to be better only the users can do it.

So any idea how we could up the standarts here. Please discuss but please don´t use real AO examples because as you know it will end up in a discussion about members instead of the principles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Delete all AO threads. Replace the link to AO with a link to www.political-debate.com and ban all users who complain, for life.

EDIT: Actually, how do you block an entire forum? I can't figure out how. But I'd like to block AO like thegelding.

2nd EDIT: Ah, I went back through thegelding's posts and found that you have to request a mod or admin to block you from a forum. So yes, I would like to be removed from the AO crowd.

3rd EDIT: Yeah, I guess I'll leave AO be. I'll just avoid heated debates. Sometimes there's something in there I like.
  • Reply 2 of 67
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Delete all AO threads. Replace the link to AO with a link to www.political-debate.com and ban all users who complain, for life.

EDIT: Actually, how do you block an entire forum? I can't figure out how. But I'd like to block AO like thegelding.

Perhaps "a lot of people" could just avoid AppleOutsider since it is at the bottom of the forum list and go frequent all the other forums. I go to every forum at least once a day and try to post anywhere that peaks my interest.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 67
    make a new forum for all the stupid threads (politics) so that AO can be somewhat sane. oh wait...
  • Reply 4 of 67
    Let the boil fester and puss up and then lance it.

Pillage and burn it to the ground.

Nuke the whole GD place.

Seriously, make it a 20 - 80 step confirmation process to post to AO, it would make people rethink, and make sure that their post is worth it to put up with the hassle.

Or each post to AO is actually a neg. post count.

• Reply 5 of 67
    I think all the nonsense of AO would go over a lot easier for everyone if you stopped thinking of it as respectable debate and instead thought of it as a drinking game.

For example take a shot anytime....

You guys can make the rules on those....

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 67
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

I think all the nonsense of AO would go over a lot easier for everyone if you stopped thinking of it as respectable debate and instead thought of it as a drinking game.

Good Idea.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Nick

here's a few suggestions:
    • shot everytime u flame

• shot everytime someone flames you

• shot everytime you read a flame (yours or someone else's)

• 1 shot for every post you read in a religious or political thread.

• triple shots for contributing, in some unflaming manner, to a religious or political thread.

• an extra shot for every extra paragraph you write in a religious or politcal thread.

• if you try to avoid the paragraph rule by using bad grammar, you gotta take a shot per sentence.

• if you start a religious or political thread, you gotta be the bottom of a waterfall. waterfalls starts everytime a new post is made to your thread. last poster starts, thread starter ends.

• shot for attempting to bait someone.

• two shots for taking the bait.

• unlimited shots if you are underage, or are otherwise opposed to drinking.

• Reply 8 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Or each post to AO is actually a neg. post count.

Hey, that actually sounds like a good idea! I guess most people don't really care about their post count but if you had, say, a negative post count, it would reflect on you. But we'd have to have a special rule where BR and SDW each get a -2 post count whenever they post. And SDW gets a -1 every time he sends a PM to a mod whining about personal attacks too

All in good fun, people, all in good fun.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

here's a few suggestions:shot everytime u flame
    shot everytime someone flames you
    shot everytime you read a flame (yours or someone else's)
    1 shot for every post you read in a religious or political thread.
    triple shots for contributing, in some unflaming manner, to a religious or political thread.
    an extra shot for every extra paragraph you write in a religious or politcal thread.
    if you try to avoid the paragraph rule by using bad grammar, you gotta take a shot per sentence.
    if you start a religious or political thread, you gotta be the bottom of a waterfall. waterfalls starts everytime a new post is made to your thread. last poster starts, thread starter ends.
    shot for attempting to bait someone.
    two shots for taking the bait.
    unlimited shots if you are underage, or are otherwise opposed to drinking.

That's stupid, how about a shot everytime thuh Freak makes some friggin' sense....

(murmurs heard off post)

What? Flaming...me...never..I'm straight you 'tard....

(takes 2 shots of tequila)

Nick

(playing to lose)
  • Reply 10 of 67
    we assign new personalities to each of the typical participants. random. they receive a message everytime that they enter that tells them the position they need to take for the day. if they dont follow, they take a shot, er, well get banned...
  • Reply 11 of 67
    Damn, Shit!! You mean AO wasn't already a drinking game!?!?!? Wadda he-ale

(edit) BTW is there an AAOA? (Alcholic Apple Outsider Anonymous)
  • Reply 12 of 67
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

2nd EDIT: Ah, I went back through thegelding's posts and found that you have to request a mod or admin to block you from a forum. So yes, I would like to be removed from the AO crowd.

That, if I may vent this teensy annoyance, is very stupid. Is it so hard to avoid what you think you should not be confronted with? Not much against thegelding, but the fact that he went ahead and cried and whined about it for months, and still has it in his sig (or am I wrong?)... Curls my toenails every time. I just don't get what's so great about blurting that you're too weak to do on your own what millions succeed in every day without anyone holding their hands. It's like that Chris Rock skit, where he spotlights the inane desire of some blacks (but I'm betting that there's at least that many whites doing it) to be patted on the back for "taking care of their children".

Am I the only one who reads that sig and sees:

Quote:

Potty-trained since last week and loving it!

If I ever request to be 'blocked' from AO, or have AO blocked from me, I should better just be temporarily banned from the entire cabooble. How arrogant does it sound, "AO free since blablabla and loving it"? That's some easy loving right there. And what does it mean to all the people who like to revel in AO, I don't need your nasty drivel? Somehow, I feel personally insulted. And I don't consider myself part of AO's hard core by far.

• Reply 13 of 67
    Quote:

3rd EDIT: Yeah, I guess I'll leave AO be. I'll just avoid heated debates. Sometimes there's something in there I like.

Next time read the whole thing.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    More often than not it's just a political slanging match between those supporting USA/Israel Vs Europe/Palestine...It does get tiring...

Reasoned arguments, light banter, humour all seem to fall by the way side when certain members start spitballing and calling each other liars...etc..

And to think, most of the people here are college trained or university graduates... Not too many dumb dumbs in real life..but so many behave like dumb dumbs on the boards...

But I was also thinking of changing the AO title from "Give peace a chance " to Dante's

" Abandon all hope ye whom enter here "

Or as someone said.....

" Welcome to the Bear Pit "
  • Reply 15 of 67
    Quote:

Next time read the whole thing.

You'll notice I'm mainly venting annoyance with months of that gelding sig. And even then, you're doing some of the age old in-out, in-out that has always been very specific to AO (and FC). "Intent to leave", they are called, and I bet not a day goes by without one from someone or other.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    Well excuse me for thinking out loud. I saw the post, thought about it for maybe a minute, and thought, "You know, I really don't go to AO that much, and it's annoying, I might want to ban myself from it." So I put that in. Then trumpetman posted, and I got to thinking again, and I changed my mind.

I'm not trying to win any arguments here. I know many people view someone changing their mind as a weakness. You know what? I don't give a shit. Call me weak, call me a jerk, even say I insulted you by considering the thought of banning the near-worthless piece of crap that is AO. I really don't care.

If I were trying to win an argument I wouldn't have edited my post even once, not to mention three times.

EDIT (yes I'm editing my post again!): You may or may not have noticed that this was the first time I went through an "intent to leave" thing, and it lasted something like one minute.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    When it gets boring here, quit Safari and go out (hanging with AOs in real life... )
  • Reply 18 of 67
    I'd love to but I'm at work right now. It's not THAT bad, basically I get paid to sit at a desk and surf the internet all day and occasionally check out a book for someone. Hopefully my friends and I can go out once I'm done.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    Quote:

You may or may not have noticed that this was the first time I went through an "intent to leave" thing, and it lasted something like one minute.

I didn't. I hardly visit AO anymore these days.

One thing though: on changing one's mind. I think it's a good point you make. It's not a weak thing to change your mind (it's contrary even). If you'd be so inclined, you might even say that banning oneself from AO is excluding the changeability, nay, the more notion of changeability of the mind. And therefore a weak thing.

I do get tired of AO, and drop out for a while, and drop back in when I'm all ready and feisty again, untill it starts getting to me again. You should not take offence at what I say, however, for I mean you no harm, nor anyone else, for that matter (except maybe for... and here should be that absent devilishly laughing -think Kelsey Grammar or whatshisname, or maybe Robert Blake; yes, THAT Robert Blake; in Lost Highway- smiley).

• Reply 20 of 67
    Quote:

Well excuse me for thinking out loud. I saw the post, thought about it for maybe a minute, and thought, "You know, I really don't go to AO that much, and it's annoying, I might want to ban myself from it." So I put that in. Then trumpetman posted, and I got to thinking again, and I changed my mind.

For what it's worth, maybe my opinion added to the decisions you'll be making with regards to AO in the future.

<angelically smiling smiley here |_or is it the little girl in love blinking smiley>