Rolling Stone mag... Top 100 Guitarists of All Time

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    this is rolling stone. Kurt Cobain at 12? Please. I can play power chords and I don't even own a guitar. I think it's pretty evident that this list isn't particularly concerned with raw skill.

I'd even argue that there are far better guitarists out there than Hendrix. Even some of the guys on the list below him. the whole Satriani/Petrucci/Vai, etc groupie is certainly way up there when it comes to rock guitar.

At least Kirk Hammett made it on the top of the list, which humored the metal fan in me, but Metallica's mainstream so I guess that's acceptable for RS. Too bad, though, that some of his best stuff is on an ignored half of a generally forgotten album.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    No John Lee Hooker = A Pile Of Shit List By A Shitty Mag
  • Reply 23 of 61
    It's an good list. Most names deserve to be there, but of course the order could be discussed for a long time... However I'm most pleasantly surprised that they put on Kevin Shields. MBV is amazing. And most important they didn't forget Eddy Hazel. He's a god. Maggot Brain almost makes me cry every time I hear it.

Rolling Stone lists are not that bad. Sure they're done mainly to please the average crowd, but RS sucks way less than Spin, for instance
  • Reply 24 of 61
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    What's this I see? An optimist in AppleOutsider?!!

KILL!!!KILL!!!!KILLLLL!!!!!

• Reply 25 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matlock

It's an good list. Most names deserve to be there, but of course the order could be discussed for a long time... However I'm most pleasantly surprised that they put on Kevin Shields. MBV is amazing.

I was happy to see him listed, too. 'Loveless' is still unmatched, in my book.

My Bloody Valentine fans on AI should pick up the soundtrack to the new Sofia Coppola film 'Lost In Translation' which came out today. It contains the first new solo tracks Kevin has recorded since 'Loveless' came out more than a decade ago.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    LOL...that list is a total joke. Do any of you actually waste your money on RS?
  • Reply 27 of 61
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I love the White Stripes but I don't know Jack White is on the list at all. He can play good but his sound is nothing new. That list is just wrong.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    As much as people disagree with lists like these (I get fired up over sports ones) they're a good jumping point for discussion.

If nothing else, I checked out some of the guys/bands I've never heard before on iTMS, and that can't be a bad thing.

Jeff
  • Reply 29 of 61
    I agree, this list is BS. Steve Howe and Eddie Van Halen definately rank higher than 69 and 70,probably should be in the top 20.Trevor Rabin should also be on the list and where the hell is AL DIMEOLA???
  • Reply 30 of 61
    This can't possibly be a 'greatest' list, more like a 'favourite' list.

Was it based on RS readers' votes?
  • Reply 31 of 61
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    No Al Dimeola....no Paco de LucÃ*a....no Joe Satriani....no Alex Lifeson? what a bloody joke.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Kurt Cobain is #12, Joe Satriani doesn't make the list.

OK, it's ****ing mail bomb time.

• Reply 33 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Kurt Cobain is #12, Joe Satriani doesn't make the list.

OK, it's ****ing mail bomb time.

a couple of days ago you wanted to move to america so you could subscribe for life.......
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Eddie Hazel belongs there.

So does Buckethead, a man who makes Joe Satriani look like my niece playing the glockenshpiel.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I just realized...NO ALAN HOLDSWORTH?!?! You get Fripp, but no Holdsworth?!?! Did 13 year olds come up with this list?!?!
  • Reply 36 of 61
    I was just about to rant about the absence of folks like ANYONE from Gentle Giant or YES (esp. Rabin), but then I noticed that ANDY SUMMERS ISN'T THERE. Hello?!?! THE FRIGGIN' POLICE?!?! They owned the world for a while. He put out several albums with Fripp (who IS on there), for God's sake.

Jeez. Now I remember what I hate RS.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Rabin was on what, two Yes albums? And only on their crap albums. Rabin may have saves Yes by creating Owner of a Lonely Heart but he also killed them by destroying the progressive era. Hardly representative of the band.

And Steve Howe is obviously there on the list, midwinter (did you not know that he is the defining guitarist of Yes?), though Dangerdog is right that he should have scored higher than #69.

Doh! I must have missed Howe somehow. While I'm with you that Rabin is only on a few albums, and that they're not all that great, my problem with the list is that it is hardly representative of the "greatest" players. Rabin falls into that category for me (like Steve Lukather and Neal Schon) of people who were in unfortunate bands but who were ungodly good players.

Thanks for pointing out that Howe got some props.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 38 of 61
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

a couple of days ago you wanted to move to america so you could subscribe for life.......

Hey, I'm not about to stop reading it because of this list. (OK, the mail bomb thing was a bit over the top)

I'm a Satriani fan man, can't help it.

Anyway, I guess they'd have to have a Top 250 list if they didn't want to piss anyone off.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Hey, I'm not about to stop reading it because of this list. (OK, the mail bomb thing was a bit over the top)

I'm a Satriani fan man, can't help it.

Anyway, I guess they'd have to have a Top 250 list if they didn't want to piss anyone off.

i worked with a guy who played satriani, vai, and all those guys who have chops out the butt. i enjoyed listening but i never bought any but one, the one where satriani sings......i love that record, i don't seem to have it anymore, i'll have to scrape around to find it again "flying in a blue dream" is that it?

edit: as many oversights as the list has, i think it performed it's duty well, being provacative that is. i'm listening to tons of things that i haven't thought about in a while. even dusted off my yes albums....etc.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    no slash ?

he has played with a wide vareity of people

from jackson to b.b king & thats apart from all his

g'n'r & snakepit stuff

the guy is a friggin' musical genius