Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

no slash ?

he has played with a wide vareity of people

from jackson to b.b king & thats apart from all his

g'n'r & snakepit stuff

the guy is a friggin' musical genius

He plays a mean pentatonic scale.

I was about to go on a tear about bad guitarists from bad bands of the bad 80s when I realized two more people are missing: the very much not bad Kenny Withrow (from the New Bohemians) and the IIRC pretty good guy from White Lion. Vito something?
  • Reply 42 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

White Lion. Vito something?

slash mainly plays d mixolydian & some dorian

the guy is vito bratta

also zack wylde is missing & he is another exceptional

melodic player
  • Reply 43 of 61
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

slash mainly plays d mixolydian & some dorian

the guy is vito bratta

also zack wylde is missing & he is another exceptional

melodic player

Avoiding a music theory discussion about scales and modes and what's what and what's not because honestly I can't remember how it all works.

He also plays them very very fast. And loudly. And so he gets on the list and Andy Summers and Alan Holdsworth *don't*? Slash is a very, very good guitar player, I have no doubt. But it strikes me that he's taking some other, better, player's rightly deserved spot. But there's little point in debating merit, is there?

Anyway, yeah! Vito Bratta! I always thought it was a shame that he played with White Lion. Seemed to have some taste and all that. Nice tone, too, IIRC.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 44 of 61
    Quote:

He also plays them very very fast. And loudly. And so he gets on the list and Andy Summers and Alan Holdsworth *don't*? Slash is a very, very good guitar player, I have no doubt. But it strikes me that he's taking some other, better, player's rightly deserved spot. But there's little point in debating merit, is there?

actully slash is not a speed player...

i like him & prolly most people do beacuse his

music is very melodic

...and his doesnt need a whole ton of effects.

my #1 rule...if a piece sticks in your head & you like it

then its a good piece/riff

& it doesnt need to be overtly complex or fast

heck i had that damm tune from captain corelli's mandolin

stuck in my head for ages....
  • Reply 45 of 61
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Ahhh, so according to some on here the list was just meant to be provocative? Is RS hurting that badly?

The list as it is now, is a total joke. The placement, quite a few inclusions and the omissions border on the ridiculous.

The list should be renamed :

100 OF THE WORLD'S BEST GUITARISTS IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER (except for Jimi)
  • Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Ahhh, so according to some on here the list was just meant to be provocative? Is RS hurting that badly?

The list as it is now, is a total joke. The placement, quite a few inclusions and the omissions border on the ridiculous.

The list should be renamed :

100 OF THE WORLD'S BEST GUITARISTS IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER (except for Jimi)

Actually, it should be "100 of the world's best guitar SOLOISTS in no particular order even including Jimi"
  • Reply 47 of 61
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

I just realized...NO ALAN HOLDSWORTH?!?! You get Fripp, but no Holdsworth?!?! Did 13 year olds come up with this list?!?!

This list is so arbitrary! Why do all those 60s and 70s drug-riddled blues rockers get so much acclaim? Just because they were famous doesnt mean to say they were all that great.

Altho Fripp has to be on there.... being one of the most inventive and influential guitarists for 35 years...as well as having a fearsome technique, to leave Holdsworth off the list is crazy!

Just go down to any jazz club, anywheresville, anystate, and there will be a guitar player who can run rings round those big names.

• Reply 48 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Altho Fripp has to be on there.... being one of the most inventive and influential guitarists for 35 years...as well as having a fearsome technique, to leave Holdsworth off the list is crazy!

Don't misunderstand me! I certainly agree with Fripp being on there!
  • Reply 49 of 61
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Hey, I just realized, no Noel Gallagher!

>ducks to avoid anti-Oasis backlash<

8)

Jeff
  • Reply 50 of 61
    Well, I said in the Best Bassist thread he belongs at the top of thee guitar list so.......

Mr. Judah Bauer of the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

And a current favourite-Stephen Malkmus. He kicks ass on '1% Of One'

And Neil Haggerty.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Very weird list. John Fogerty is the 40th while no J.J.Cale? And since when Kurt Cobain is one of the best guitarists? As much as I like him. The great Zappa is the 45th?! And I always assumed that Matthew Bellamy plays guitar, too.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

I would've thought Steve Vai would be on the list.

Jeff

Me too. There are a lot of "who" names on the list that got on there b/c someone at R/S wants to be progressive.

As for the blues comment, the first 25 names should be bluesmen, at least if we're counting historical relevance/impact/importance. Without those folks, there wouldn't be many others.

The list is just more proof that R/S isn't relevant any more. They haven't been since about 1977 or so.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    keef
  • Reply 54 of 61
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Is that a joke?!
  • Reply 55 of 61
    insane.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogercox View Post

insane.

More insane than digging up a four-and-a-half year old thread?
  • Reply 57 of 61
    D'oh! They forgot:

Steve Lukather

Neil Schon

Rik Emmett

Lindsey Buckingham

Yngwie Malmsteen
  • Reply 58 of 61
    speaking of winter I'm glad to see Johnny Winteer on the list. Good!! Of course there is someone else I think should have been included as well. I think Victor Wooten should have been included as a very talented Bass player!