Best bassists of all time

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    A couple of comments about Richard Davis (my earlier post): he is primarily a jazz session guy and has played on countless albums - you probably have heard him, even if you do not know it, if you listen to jazz at all. He played a lot with Sarah Vaughan and many many others. I was not sure that this thread meant rock only, but in any case, Richard Davis did work with Van M. on Astral Weeks. Also, if you have never listened to Astral Weeks, I would highly recommend it - and not only for the bass playing. One of Van's best and most unusual (and that is saying something!).
  • Reply 22 of 50
    Cliff Burton. Too bad he died .

Dave.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Geddy Lee....just ask Les Claypool and Flea to mention but a couple who have been influenced by Geddy.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    I find it odd that few have mentioned african american bassists. Is this a strictly "rock" poll? And what about all the dub reggae bassist? Unsung... but no doubt influential and important.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

I find it odd that few have mentioned african american bassists. Is this a strictly "rock" poll? And what about all the dub reggae bassist? Unsung... but no doubt influential and important.

we're racist
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Victor Wooten from Bela Flecks' Flecktones.

Simply unbelievable.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

i was never really a fan of rush,

but geddy lee was always underated in my book.

oh yeah, and judah bauer of jon spencer blues explosion.

i'd also like to give props to the best dual bassist threat

to every walk the earth in the form of matt cheslin and

alex griffin of ned's atomic dustbin fame.

Although I have an undying love for all things JSBX, Mr. Judah Bauer does not play the bass. There is no bass player in JSBX. THough he does play what would be the bass lines during their live shows. I would put Judah Bauer at the top of the list for best guitarist ever list, though.

I almost forgot, The BLUES IS NUMBER ONE!
  • Reply 28 of 50
    I didn't say anyone was racist... it was just weird... if it was a rock only poll it would make sense... sheesh.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Geddy Lee....just ask Les Claypool and Flea to mention but a couple who have been influenced by Geddy.

Hear hear! (And no, its not JUST because they're my fav band)

Does anyone here know that Rush and Primus actually toured together? Primus opened for them on several (if not most) of the dates on the Roll The Bones Tour. If you check out any musician-oriented publication you'll see Ged mentioned by many as a VERY influential bass player. He and Neil Peart together easily constitute the best rhythm section in rock history.

I didn't bother to include Alex Lifeson in the Best Guitarist thread, although I feel he's very underrated
  • Reply 30 of 50
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Victor Lemonte Wooten, who I had the chance to meet once after a Flecktones show a few years ago. He walked up to me, handed me a camera and asked me to take a picture of him with two young boys--either friends or family, I guess. Super nice guy.

Also, Oteil Burbridge. Former bass player for Col. Bruce Hampton & The Aquarium Rescue Unit (what an incredible band) and now playing with the Allman Brothers Band.

Walter Becker of Steely Dan.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Although I have an undying love for all things JSBX, Mr. Judah Bauer does not play the bass. There is no bass player in JSBX. THough he does play what would be the bass lines during their live shows. I would put Judah Bauer at the top of the list for best guitarist ever list, though.

I almost forgot, The BLUES IS NUMBER ONE!

your right, i should know that, i've seen them live several times. must get more sleep. all work and no play make jonny a dull boy.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Who played bass for the Motown house band-the Funk Brothers wasn't it?

Those guys were good, just think of the opening of Papa Was A Rolling Stone!

Jeff
  • Reply 33 of 50
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    VanDeWaals: Rush are one heck of a band....Everybody knows the three of them are virtuosos. I saw that tour w/ Primus too by the way. One hell of a show.

I saw the Vapor Trails show at the Staples Center in LA(where the lakers play) and they were amazing. A lot of young people too which was very cool. They played almost 3 hours and Neil Peart's solo lasted 9- 10 minutes! It;s no wonder Modern Drummer called him the most influential drummer in history.He really is amazing. I had front row seats (I just walked towards the stage and stayed there the whole show .

Even the people who don't like Rush should at least see them live once.

It's hard to imagine a band that's been together 30 years or so(and getting zero air play outside of classic rock stations)still playing sold out ARENAS and putting out a CD that's new and fresh when most bands of that era are playing county fairs. Yep, Geddy Lee rocks.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

Who played bass for the Motown house band-the Funk Brothers wasn't it?

Those guys were good, just think of the opening of Papa Was A Rolling Stone!

Jeff

i believe that would be the late great James Jamerson.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

i believe that would be the late great James Jamerson.

Thanks skmdc! I'd put him on my list of best players, those Motown tracks still rule!

Jeff
  • Reply 36 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

VanDeWaals: Rush are one heck of a band....Everybody knows the three of them are virtuosos. I saw that tour w/ Primus too by the way. One hell of a show.

I saw the Vapor Trails show at the Staples Center in LA(where the lakers play) and they were amazing. A lot of young people too which was very cool. They played almost 3 hours and Neil Peart's solo lasted 9- 10 minutes! It;s no wonder Modern Drummer called him the most influential drummer in history.He really is amazing. I had front row seats (I just walked towards the stage and stayed there the whole show .

Even the people who don't like Rush should at least see them live once.

It's hard to imagine a band that's been together 30 years or so(and getting zero air play outside of classic rock stations)still playing sold out ARENAS and putting out a CD that's new and fresh when most bands of that era are playing county fairs. Yep, Geddy Lee rocks.

Preach! Preach my brother!

Oh...and just as a heads up to anyone who might be curious, Rush will be releasing a double DVD of the show they did in RIo, Brazil on last year's Vapor Trails tour. It will be out on Oct 21 and it's titled Rush In Rio (imaginative, I know). I of course will be at Best Buy asap to get that. Anyone who has never watched Rush play live NEEDS to get this DVD and check them out. It's cheaper than concert tickets, and it will be entertainment dollars well spent. The entire show of that tour was off the hook, just phenomenal. I of course saw them twice .

Sorry, got excited. Carry on.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Lemmy without a doubt, and Nikki Sixx, not for his playing really, mostly just because I just finished The Dirt the book about Motley Crue.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Darby from Smashing Pumpkins and Mellisa Auf Der Maur of the same and Hole. Oh, wait, this a thread for best bassist, not best looking bassist. Damn, well I'll have to throw in Cliff Burton.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    1. Jaco Pastorius

2. kelib

3. Stuart Ham

4. Johann Asmundsson (Mezzoforte)

5. Bill Wyman, best of the old school
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Darby from Smashing Pumpkins and Mellisa Auf Der Maur of the same and Hole. Oh, wait, this a thread for best bassist, not best looking bassist. Damn, well I'll have to throw in Cliff Burton.

D'arcy