• Reply 21 of 58
    otis redding
  • Reply 22 of 58
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

then you're an ass

HAAHAAHAA

Clapton is so bad these days . . . he survives off of a bloated reputation founded on the mythic days with the Yardbirds . . .. and most people confuse the Jeff Beck Yardbirds for his contributions anyway . . . oh yeah and one and a half Great! Cream albums and the song Liela (sp?)

now days he plays tired sentimental overly bent-high note sustained blues cliches . . . thoroughly without the integrity of Ginger Baker . . sappy crowd pleasing "Blues" -note the quote marks there-
  • Reply 23 of 58
    Quote:

originally posted by pflam

and just to say again Clapton sucks . . .

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The guitarist thread is over there.

I think you're being jaded.

As for Durst, yes I'll stand by that call, yes I do think he is an asshole, no I am not a fan. Why do make this call, he brings attention to the band, he drives the music, he drives the audience. No one says you or I have to be in that audience, he does his job well, being an ass is part of his schtick, a lot of good frontmen have a schtick the best can go beyond that, time will prove me wrong or right. That's the way I see it.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Add to my list:

Iggy Pop

David Bowie

Nick Cave
  • Reply 25 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

HAAHAAHAA

Clapton is so bad these days . . . he survives off of a bloated reputation founded on the mythic days with the Yardbirds . . .. and most people confuse the Jeff Beck Yardbirds for his contributions anyway . . . oh yeah and one and a half Great! Cream albums and the song Liela (sp?)

now days he plays tired sentimental overly bent-high note sustained blues cliches . . . thoroughly without the integrity of Ginger Baker . . sappy crowd pleasing "Blues" -note the quote marks there-

well then based on your criteria, what the hell is david lee roth doing on your list. in case of terrorist bombing, go to roth's........he hasn't had a hit in years.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Brian Warner - one of the most twisted individuals to grace the stage. Purely manufactured but guaranteed to annoy.

Max Cavalera - this guy takes hate to a new level.

Thom York - haunting melodious music

Kurt Cobain - another dead hero

Henry Rollins - music is shite but spoken word is thought provoking
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

Bono and Eddie Vedder

:P

Pulease. Eddie Vedder is a well known tool.

Best frontman. . .

That's a tough choice. As mentioned already, David Lee Roth did do quite a bit for an otherwise boring band. I wouldn't say Rob Plante, because Zepplin already had quite a bit of X - Factor going for them them. Jim Morrison is another good choice, additionally as mentioned.

Those chicks that tonton mentioned are all ephemeral.

I guess I have to say that Mick Jagger was the biggest, though, because the Stones have built this bullshat legacy based on relatively shatty music. Now, they're these fathers figures of rock. Psssh. The Stones are and have always been a no-talent bunch of bad-toothed brits. It's the greatest ruse a group of guys have ever pulled.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

well then based on your criteria, what the hell is david lee roth doing on your list. in case of terrorist bombing, go to roth's........he hasn't had a hit in years.

True. . . I was thinking of DLRoth of early Van Halen days
  • Reply 29 of 58
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    tonton needs to have his balls stapled back on.

Ka-chunk!

I'm going to have to go with Frank Black or George Clinton.

FLASHLIGHT!
  • Reply 30 of 58
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Wow, someone else I know actually knows who Jon Spencer is. First time ever.

Anyway, definitely Ozzy.

• Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Wow, someone else I know actually knows who Jon Spencer is. First time ever.

Anyway, definitely Ozzy.

Spencer puts on a great show . . . but you kind of have to be willing to dance and get teh 'hard-workin' tongue in cheek aspect of his music . . . but he is awesome and the only real 'blues' that's being made these days . . except for maybe 'assspocket full of whisky guy'
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:

Spencer puts on a great show . . . but you kind of have to be willing to dance and get teh 'hard-workin' tongue in cheek aspect of his music . . . but he is awesome and the only real 'blues' that's being made these days . . except for maybe 'assspocket full of whisky guy'

R.L. Burnside!!! Ass Pocket of Whiskey is a fantastic album. Especially the songs where Spencer keeps asking RL for money to buy a bag of chips.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm lazy:

The guy from Aerosmith

The guy from Red Hot Chili Peppers

The guy from Smashing Pumpkins

The guy from Green Day

The guy from Foo Fighters

The guy from Dave Matthews Band (what was his name?)

and...

The gal from Sixpence None The Richer
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Dave Matthews.

That man puts every ounce of his soul into his live preformances; plus a few ounces of cannibas
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Frontmen....hmmm....

The place in entertainment where ego, attitude and appearance trounces talent and invention. Happily, as with everything in life, there are exceptions to that rule.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Got to be......

Absolutely! - this man was the ultimate frontman. Check out Queen - "Live at Wembley" ... or "Rock in Rio" ... or even their stint at "Live Aid" (Queen stole the show on that one - and this was a world-wide event with some of the best bands of that era present.)

The bigger the crowd, the more impressive the work of Mr Mercury. R.I.P.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Got to be......

Yup.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I saw Pearl Jam at Tip's in New Orleans (a very large bar) in '92 or so on the Ten tour back when you had to buy the CD in the "heavy metal" category in the music store. Vedder was incredible. Best frontman ever? No. But very, very good.

Speaking of New Orleans and good shows.... I saw Tori Amos at what was then Storyville (now it's the appalling "Margaritaville") around the same time on the Little Earthquakes tour. Just her and a piano. I sat 5 feet from her. This was among the best shows I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I saw Pearl Jam at Tip's in New Orleans (a very large bar) in '92 or so on the Ten tour back when you had to buy the CD in the "heavy metal" category in the music store. Vedder was incredible. Best frontman ever? No. But very, very good.

Speaking of New Orleans and good shows.... I saw Tori Amos at what was then Storyville (now it's the appalling "Margaritaville") around the same time on the Little Earthquakes tour. Just her and a piano. I sat 5 feet from her. This was among the best shows I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot.

Cheers

Scott

Do you live in NO?
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Quote:

HAAHAAHAA

you don't even know how to spell layla and you somehow are suppose to be taken serious?

get a clue.

Clapton has had a bigger impact on the blues and rock than anyone else in the last 40 years.

And he has created many of rocks classic albums

Quote:

I've got to jump on the "Clapton doesn't make it as a one-man band" wagon. Although technically he's an awesone guitarist, he's about as original these days as Kenny G.

does he have to be anything else? he had his time. he still creates impressive albums. you can't possibly say Pilgrim was just more of the same old crap.

his live shows are a bit underwhelming these days but i guess with the ticket prices he charges the people would only want to see the hits.

Quote:

clearly someone who hasnt seen Pearl jam live