Best Frontman... the theme continues

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

you don't even know how to spell layla and you somehow are suppose to be taken serious?

get a clue.

Clapton has had a bigger impact on the blues and rock than anyone else in the last 40 years.

And he has created many of rocks classic albums

Au contraire mon frere I DO know what I am talking about and yes 'Laialah' was a 'hit' and continues to be one of the most requested songs on classic rock stations and Cream was Great and very influential . . . and the Beck era Yardbirds had a number of classic hits and big influence but Clapton's influence is overrated and his musicianship is overrated and his contemporary output is embarrassing no matter HOW YOU SPELL IT

"bigger impact on blues and Rock in the past 40 years" . . . you have got to be living on Mars . . . if you want to talk about the devalution of Blues into mediocre Bar Blues that's sold as an image packaged for BBQ joints and aging Harley riders then maybe yes he influenced that genre . . .but that genre sucks arse and so does he now days . . . !!

Sunshine of your love = Blue Moon . . . .nuff said

gimme the integrity of Ginger Baker anyday
  • Reply 42 of 58
    ginger baker?

right.

461 ocean boulevard is one the best rock albums ever.

perhaps you have a problem because he is a true pop artist.... and somehow people who think they are "cool" can't like mainstream music, nevermind pop.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Do you live in NO?

No. Actually, at the moment I'm just getting settled into my new home in Utah.

But I went to college about an hour or so outside NO, and so I was there all the time.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 44 of 58
    Quote:

perhaps you have a problem because he is a true pop artist.... and somehow people who think they are "cool" can't like mainstream music, nevermind pop.

Wrong, if he were a true 'pop artist' then he would succeed in writing more than a handful of songs that actual everyday people know about.

He tries to be a 'pop' artist but ends up hitting the median line: commonly known as mediocrity.

• Reply 45 of 58
    DAVID LEE ROTH=FRONTMAN!

i cant belive you guys would look at anyone other than dave! when i hear the word "frontman" dave comes to mind. he put van halen into orbit!

alas they're still fighting:

(5/28/03, 6 p.m. ET) -- Former Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth is continuing to move forward with his lawsuit against the band over unpaid royalties. Roth filed his suit on December 11 in Los Angeles Superior Court, claiming the group didn't include him in a 1996 renegotiation of its contract with Warner Brothers Records.

Roth said the result is a financial inequity. "If you buy Van Halen I now, if I make 10 cents, the bass player (Michael Anthony) makes 30 cents. And if I make a hundred dollars, the drummer (Alex Van Halen) will make close to three hundred dollars. And I've always maintained since I wrote all the words, and all the lyrics, and all of the harmonies, and structured the tunes, designed most of the album covers--and when MTV happened for everybody, I wrote and directed the videos--with all of that, I should make 25 percent. What do you think?"
  • Reply 46 of 58
    When it comes to frontmen no one did it like Freddie Mercury. He is the Queen-Supreme.

But thinking about the many contemporary frontmen, the best is a woman, Gwen Stefani. She is cool, elegant, stylish, talented, energetic, funky, talented and beautiful.

Yes, David Lee Roth was a frontman rock god, but he is no Gwen Stefani. Where does it with his wild man antics, she does it with style.

Another I have to throw in, Ted Nugent, the Motor City Madman.
  • Reply 47 of 58
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Wrong, if he were a true 'pop artist' then he would succeed in writing more than a handful of songs that actual everyday people know about.

He tries to be a 'pop' artist but ends up hitting the median line: commonly known as mediocrity.

what country do you live in?
  • Reply 48 of 58
    i added otis redding a few days who none other than bill graham claimed to be the best act he ever saw, and considering all the acts that have played the filmores and all the tours he promoted, that speaks volumes.

but i thought of two that, hard to believe, have not been mentioned.

"the hardest working man in show business!" - James Brown

&

"the handsomest man in show bidness!" - Bruce Springsteen
  • Reply 49 of 58
    Quote:

clearly someone who hasnt seen Pearl jam live

Maybe I have, and just wasn't impressed. You want to know the best live concert I ever went to? "The Presidents of the USA." They kinda suck, but they are absolutely crazy and make for a fun concert. Nowhere else does the band throw jello shots and hoagies at the crowd between songs. (it was an over-21 venue)

Eddie Vedder comes off as a phony to me. I also don't like his somewhat clichéd rockstar philosophies. You're a huge Pearl Jam fan, so of course you're going to eat up anything about Eddie Vedder. I honestly like Pearl Jam, but I don't see what the fuss is about. He's a good signer for sure, but I don't think he's the overwhelming reason why people have come to like Pearl Jam.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    The man, the myth, the tantric-yoga sex master, STING!!!

All you nay-sayers, shut up, you like the rest of us only wish to be as cool.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Double post I know, but new direction.

With as many cool frontmen that US Rock and Pop has had, the closest to the coolness that we have come to the UK Rock and Pop frontmen are our women, Debbie Harry and Gwen Stefani. Both are very akin to each other.

The US male frontmen have made their impact more with their wildness. The US male frontmen that match the subtle coursing power and style of the UK frontmen are from the Blues or Jazz area of music. Not to say that the UK doesn't have wildmen of their own.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

Mick Jagger not only invented, but perfected the art form. Honorable mentions go to Deborah Harry, Iggy and Jim Morrisson.

You nailed it. Not taking anything away from other greats mentioned here but they all came after Jagger. Like him or not, you just have to admit that no one comes near him when it comes to stage performance. He's a real band leader. On top of that and he's the best Rock singer we've ever had. That's just my opinion of course.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Double post I know, but new direction.

With as many cool frontmen that US Rock and Pop has had, the closest to the coolness that we have come to the UK Rock and Pop frontmen are our women, Debbie Harry and Gwen Stefani. Both are very akin to each other.

The US male frontmen have made their impact more with their wildness. The US male frontmen that match the subtle coursing power and style of the UK frontmen are from the Blues or Jazz area of music. Not to say that the UK doesn't have wildmen of their own.

I thought Debbie Harry was American and made it big in CBGBs?!?!

In fact . . . with a little searching I found that she was born in Miami on July 1st 1945
  • Reply 54 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

The man, the myth, the tantric-yoga sex master, STING!!!

I second that. Sting is God.

...or something.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Was thinking this morning that Mark E. Smith from the Fall deserves an honourable mention for at least being the most catankerous frontman.