The Apple and x86 Rumor -- Finally Done?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From MacRumors:

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...12124002.shtml

"Apple believed that using Intel would deeply affect its current customer base. Using an Intel architecture might solve Apple's short-term megahertz dilemma, but customers would have to suffer through a slow transition from PowerPC over the long term."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Gosh, ya think. The G5 does put an end to the performance gap too. Times, they are a changin'.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    I'm sure it will arise from the ashes of FH...
  • Reply 3 of 28
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

I'm sure it will arise from the ashes of FH...

"
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Well we know that they won't be moving over in the next 5 years at least. But I believe Marklar will always be around in order to keep a backup plan (and to help with debugging purposes).
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by joek

From MacRumors:

"Apple believed that using Intel would deeply affect its current customer base. Using an Intel architecture might solve Apple's short-term megahertz dilemma, but customers would have to suffer through a slow transition from PowerPC over the long term."

Hmmmmm .... "Obituaries Today" ... lesseee ...

Johnny Cash ...

John Ritter ...

John C. Dvorak ...? Nope ...

'fraid that rumor ain't dissappearing anytime soon folks ...

[edit: lame-ass grammar, yet again!]

\
  • Reply 6 of 28
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by joek

From MacRumors:

But it doesn't explicitly state that Apple wasn't considering it all along. Heck, maybe IBM was their Plan B. \
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Gosh, ya think. The G5 does put an end to the performance gap too. Times, they are a changin'.

1. The G5 has not put an end to the performance gap. The gap is still substantial and it will get wider with Prescott later this year.

2. These IBM statements do not preclude the possiblity of an x86 Mac. Like it says, the transition form PowerPC to x86 will take a while. Introducing an x86 at MWSF concurrently with PowerPC machines will smoothen the transition over 3-5 years.

3. Pentium-M is still far ahead of anything Apple has. A 1.25GHz PowerPC 7457 PowerBook will do nothing to the huge gap that exists today. Dothan, a 90 nm Pentium-M with 2MB of on-die L2 cache is also due later this year.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I would have to agree with you on most of your points. But the G5 (at least now, without many optimized apps and without Panther) isn't really conclusive on how the PowerPC will stack up against intel in the long run.

And Apple's portables suck performance wise, period. Hopefully this will change.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

1. The G5 has not put an end to the performance gap. The gap is still substantial and it will get wider with Prescott later this year.

Spoken like someone who has never had his hands on either of these chips. Prescott isn't actually a marvelous chip and I'd be more worried about AMD's offerings if you wanted performance crowns

Quote:

3. Pentium-M is still far ahead of anything Apple has. A 1.25GHz PowerPC 7457 PowerBook will do nothing to the huge gap that exists today. Dothan, a 90 nm Pentium-M with 2MB of on-die L2 cache is also due later this year.

I wouldn't count on Dothan appearing this year.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

1. The G5 has not put an end to the performance gap. The gap is still substantial and it will get wider with Prescott later this year. . .

With benchmarks indicating otherwise, could you explain why a substantial gap still exists? I agree Prescott will alter the picture, but so will the 970+ on 90 nanometers, and the mini-Power5, which may be discussed next month at the Microprocessor Forum. For now, it is my impression that the G5 is doing well in the performance department.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Current state of benchmarks aside, I think the existance of the 970 and the available information about IBM's PowerPC roadmap is enough to show that Apple is back in the performance game. There is finally debate again about which is faster, and that's a much better place to be in that the mess Motorola had stuck Apple with.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

2. These IBM statements do not preclude the possiblity of an x86 Mac. Like it says, the transition form PowerPC to x86 will take a while. Introducing an x86 at MWSF concurrently with PowerPC machines will smoothen the transition over 3-5 years.

Which rock did you crawl out from? Stand back and take a few deep breaths. The light must be bothering you.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    I really hope this rumor will finally DIE!!! Apple on x86 would shortly be followed by "Apple on the Sega plan"

• Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwdawso

Which rock did you crawl out from?

The real world where Apple has dwindling marketshare and revenues.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:

Transitioning to x86 wouldn't do anything to counter this. Companies which have tried that either curled up and died or gave up and went back to their core competancy. The effect of the G5 on Apple's PowerMac sales will be very interesting to see, and will be an indicator of the future.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

If you mean clock for clock performance, you're right, the G5 is substatially faster and it's unlikely any Intel x86 architecture will approach this level of efficiency.

Quote:

Nonsense. In that timeframe Intel might be transitioning to manufacturing PPC chips.

Quote:

And a 90 nm PPC970 is due at the end of this year as well. What's your point?
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by jwdawso

Which rock did you crawl out from?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, please. All the reasoned responses to your drivel and this is the post you choose to respond to? On a scale of one to ten you rate about a two on the troll scale.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Note how Existence is wants us to "Wait" for Prescott or "wait" for Dothan. Yawm...Mac users are tired of waiting.

Note:

Existence hasn't provided any evidence supporting the "Huge" performance Gap

Intel is not the way to go. AMD's 64bit offering may be pretty nice. I've bought my last Intel product with my P3. I think I'm going to build an AMD box after purchasing a new Mac next year.

However as for PPC970 we're looking good. Funny...do a search I bet PC Dreamers like Ex were claiming Intel would be at 4Ghz now. LOL...800Mhz off fellas. Put down the crackpipes.

The current G5s basically pull even with x86 at 1.8 and Duallies put us ahead at 2x 2Ghz. Show me benches to support otherwise.

We're still weak at the lowend but first things first let's get caught up with the high margin units.

If PCs are so good nonExistence then why do you hang out here . You love Macs and you know it!!!! :P
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

ROFL!!!!

apple has been going UP!!!!

it was reported at 1.5% of the market in 2001, and in first quarter 2003 its back up to 3.5%!!!!

W00T KEEP IT UP APPLE!!!
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wireless

ROFL!!!!

apple has been going UP!!!!

it was reported at 1.5% of the market in 2001, and in first quarter 2003 its back up to 3.5%!!!!

W00T KEEP IT UP APPLE!!!

Uh Huh.