Are you at risk from the RIAA?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What exactly qualifies you for being a target by the RIAA?

What if you're not using Kazaa? Are they doing anything with any of the other networks?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    If you use any file-sharing software, you're a target. Simple as that. Don't expect the RIAA to forever limit itself to KaZaA.

You can be serving or you can be downloading. Either way, you could be caught.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

If you use any file-sharing software, you're a target. Simple as that. Don't expect the RIAA to forever limit itself to KaZaA.

You can be serving or you can be downloading. Either way, you could be caught.

This is what I don't understand. Since the demise of Napster (a piece of software I used for just a few tries) I've used a great number of software packages for downloading because I'm curious about how they work, how they effect the networks I live & work on, how much can or can't be found on them, etc. Any file I've downloaded in the past 3 years or so have been files I already own. At times I've needed to use these things for work, to see how they effect my network.

If this makes me a target then I should sue for billions because I'm not breaking any laws. There's no way for them to know what or why I'm doing what I do and there's absolutely no legal reason I could be a target. I'm using legal software for legal purposes. I should not need to explain my actions unless direct harm to another party can be shown.

I've been pissed about this topic for years.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

This is what I don't understand. Since the demise of Napster (a piece of software I used for just a few tries) I've used a great number of software packages for downloading because I'm curious about how they work, how they effect the networks I live & work on, how much can or can't be found on them, etc. Any file I've downloaded in the past 3 years or so have been files I already own. At times I've needed to use these things for work, to see how they effect my network.

If this makes me a target then I should sue for billions because I'm not breaking any laws. There's no way for them to know what or why I'm doing what I do and there's absolutely no legal reason I could be a target. I'm using legal software for legal purposes. I should not need to explain my actions unless direct harm to another party can be shown.

I've been pissed about this topic for years.

We should start a movement of people downloading stuff they own off Kazaa and the likes and when the RIAA comes knocking, say, "you morons. I own the shit, now get off my back."

Just because you hang out in a bad neighborhood doesn't make you a drug dealer... sheesh...
  • Reply 4 of 26
    The problem with what the RIAA is doing is that once you are in their crosshairs, no matter for what reason, it is likely to cost you money. Even assuming that you have a legitimate reason to fight their claims, legal fees are going to be a bear.

I think this, more than anything, will cause most people to rush to settle.

And to answer the first person's question, so far the targets are Kazaa, Kazaa Lite, MP2P, & Grokster. Expect the circle to widen considerably as the RIAA becomes ever bolder.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Get this weeks Newsweek, it talks all about it, and who could be at risk, etc. From what I understood when I read the article, is that only those who are sharing or allowing others to download from them are a risk for action from RIAA, turn off sharing your downloads.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Like I suggested before. Make dummy mp3s with random non-copyrighted crap in them...give them authentic looking ID3 tags, lengths, and filenames. Salt your own file share with these fake mp3s...thousands of them. Wait for the RIAA to serve you, then embarass them in court since you've done nothing illegal.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Mac Man and Eugene, those are terrible suggestions. Turning off sharing and serving dummy files is hurting the illegal file sharing community. Think about what would happen if most people or everyone did that. Then none of us could steal in peace.

IMO, the best way to avoid trouble from the riaa is to stay low. Don't transfer a lot of files, and cap your upload rate so u only serve at most a few at a time. They are more likely to find the agregious violations (like downloading 100 files at once while serving the same), and probably won't care as much for the small offenses.

i wonder if anyone has made an anonymous network. where you could send/receive files without knowing who it was coming from. now that i think about it, i think gnutella has something like this, incase users were inside firewalls.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

Mac Man and Eugene, those are terrible suggestions. Turning off sharing and serving dummy files is hurting the illegal file sharing community. Think about what would happen if most people or everyone did that. Then none of us could steal in peace.

IMO, the best way to avoid trouble from the riaa is to stay low. Don't transfer a lot of files, and cap your upload rate so u only serve at most a few at a time. They are more likely to find the agregious violations (like downloading 100 files at once while serving the same), and probably won't care as much for the small offenses.

i wonder if anyone has made an anonymous network. where you could send/receive files without knowing who it was coming from. now that i think about it, i think gnutella has something like this, incase users were inside firewalls.

That's true but I think an idea like this has merit. How about just serving loads and loads of stuff to a select group of people. Just having a group downloading and uploading in great volumes stuff they all have. Like we AIers could start a community where we just allow us to upload and download stuff that we all have. We want to do it enough to attract attention but we also want to make sure that what we're sharing we all already have. Get enough of us served, we could make some noise by saying "get the f*ck off my back, bitch, and stop invading my privacy. I OWN all this stuff. And so do they."
  • Reply 9 of 26
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

The point of serving dummy files is to embarrass the RIAA and cause a media flap, not to hurt the music piracy movement or promote it. I'm not saying everyone should do it. Hell, I'm saying ONE person should do it, just to reel the RIAA in.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The point of serving dummy files is to embarrass the RIAA and cause a media flap, not to hurt the music piracy movement or promote it. I'm not saying everyone should do it. Hell, I'm saying ONE person should do it, just to reel the RIAA in.

well, if its the minority, then it probably won't be a problem. it probably won't be effective either. the other side has used a similar technique to tick off illegal sharers. i think there was a madonna song or something, fake-leaked by her or her record company or whoever, which rapidly spread throughout gnutella and fasttrack. it wasn't the song it purported to be, but instead was someone saying "don't steal...we're watching you" or words of that effect. illegitimate sharing is already getting hurt by the riaa, we don't need friendlies hurting us too.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

If you use any file-sharing software, you're a target

Not if you're outside the US...
  • Reply 12 of 26
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Like a lot of us, I did the Napster thing a few years ago. Got some silly stuff (TV themes, ultra-obscure 80's one hit wonders, etc.)

But I've always had an amazing and varied CD collection, so all my true favorites (Petty, Beatles, Crow, Isaak, Yoakam, Morrison, etc.) have LONG been encoded from my OWN CD COLLECTION (suck on that, RIAA).

Honestly, getting stuff off Napster (and later, dabbling with Limewire which was ultra-horrible!) was simply too much of a pain in the butt. You'd get incomplete songs, wrongly tagged crap., etc. I tired of the whole "online music swap" thing VERY quickly. I never got into it or saw the overall "big appeal" to it.

Probably because, as mentioned above, I have a bodacious CD collection spanning genres, artists and decades.

And now, with the iTunes Music Store, I'm happy. I'm happy to pay, be legal, not steal, etc. and know thta I'm getting quality, complete music...and mostly pre-tagged properly.

I trashed Limewire off my Mac about 7 months ago because I never used it. I went looking for the "Sanford and Son" theme one day and after about 6 attempts to download it, I got pissed and trashed it.

I don't intend on using it again. The ITMS is too nice an alternative.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Heh - I just got a perfect copy of that theme song off of Poisoned... took me 30 seconds.

I mean, I DIDN'T!!
  • Reply 14 of 26
    I am not worried. I damn near own everything I have downloaded. I am lving proof that downloading music makes we want to go buy it. I listen to little, lesser known bands and I am glad to support them. Once I get the real disc, I usually ditch the mp3's off my computer and rip my CD (usually at a higher rate because most people still rip at 128... yuck).

Plus, I don't use Kazaa or Grockster or the massively public sharing programs. I use Direct Connect. That is probably going to get targeted though, its only a matter of time. The only advantage to DC is they'll probably go after those who are acting as the server, which is a shame. Also, I don't download any mainstream music. They're not going to find any radio/MTV fluf on my hard drive.

I'm not scared at all. I don't really download that much at all. Hell, I still get files from people over AIM. I got a whole album yesterday... from the guitarist of the band. Like I said, not worried.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by david101

Not if you're outside the US...

Not true! The danish equivelant of RIAA is going after pirates big time these days, and the government is raising the penalty from 1 to 4 years in prison! When the new law passes (I'm sure it will), besides paying a HUGE fine you will do prison time just for sharing files over the net in Denmark!

(Before you had to actually make money from the music - not just sharing mp3's - and you could get max 1 year. Now, sharing will be considered the same as ordinary theft)
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

They should work for the RIAA
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Excuse me, why don't you go read the Newsweek article first. I wasn't saying that is what you should do, I don't download my music using any p2p app. THAT IS WHAT THE ARTICLE SUGGESTED!
  • Reply 18 of 26
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    The only problem with "I only download stuff I already own" is that the RIAA in no way accepts this as legitimate fair-use. As far as they're concerned, whether you own the CD is irrelevant. Transferring any copyrighted file is infringement. The RIAA doesn't even necessarily accept format-shifting as legit. If they had their way, ripping your CD collection would be illegal (and erm, it is, under the DMCA, if the CD has any form of "copy-protection").

Remember, you only *think* you own that CD. And we only *think* we have government of, by, and for the people.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Transferring any copyrighted file is infringement. The RIAA doesn't even necessarily accept format-shifting as legit.

But the courts have ruled that these are in fact legal, regardless of what the RIAA wants to believe.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Posting dummy files to "fool" the RIAA is not going to work since, according to information that's trickled out of the RIAA so far, they are DLing sample tracks from these "large sharers". At least enough to prove that there are true infringments going on. A thousand tracks appears to be what they're aiming for, so just share less if you insist on sharing on one of the targeted communities. (How they decided a thousand tracks is alot mystifies me, I don't hang out on Kazaa... Is that large for that community? Where I hang sharing 20,000+ tracks isn't particularly uncommon.

As an aside, for those of us hanging out in more private sharing communities, there have been recent legal actions worldwide taking out some of the major release groups. So be careful out there, things are really starting to suck.

And on personal note, file sharing has done nothing but drive me to buy more CDs. Never as much as I like, cuz I'm a poor lil bytch. I currently have a Want list ~500 CDs long, and I was knocking those suckers off everytime I had a free buck, but now I'm boycotting. Another customer lost for the RIAA.