Apple to use 970, confirmed by IBM

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 137
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

By year's end, IBM may be running 15,000 to 18,000 of the 300-mm wafers per month, filling its first module at Fishkill as part of its emphasis on high-end foundry manufacturing."

That must mean we should be all Dual 970 PM next year. That's encouraging news!
  • Reply 122 of 137
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    How many 970's do you get out of one 300-mm Ø (?12") wafer?
  • Reply 123 of 137
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

How many 970's do you get out of one 300-mm Ø (?12") wafer?

probabily between 200 to 300. That means more than 3 millions of chips produced each months (but not only PPC 970).
  • Reply 124 of 137
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacJedai

I read in MacCentral that (quoting from article):

'Ron Okamoto, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Developer Relations. "Moving to June ensures that every developer will leave the event with a copy of Panther in their hands." '.

So, as you said Programmer, "Nah.... couldn't be".

>>>But I can sure hope!

I normally don't partake in idiot conspiracy theories, but is it possible that, seeing as Apple surely is aware Panther is going to be warezed sky-high once the WWDC is over, they simply want to make sure that nothing too immature ends up getting in circulation, where bad word-of-mouth by uninformed users ("I installed this after downloading it off Carracho, and it totally hosed my system!! WTF?!?!?!") might reflect poorly on the mothership?
  • Reply 125 of 137
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacJedai

I read in MacCentral that (quoting from article):

'Ron Okamoto, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Developer Relations. "Moving to June ensures that every developer will leave the event with a copy of Panther in their hands." '.

So, as you said Programmer, "Nah.... couldn't be".

>>>But I can sure hope!

The thing about that is the feature set will be frozen for 2 months [June] before panther's public release in September [according to a eweek artcle http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,993485,00.asp]

The only justification I see is the this gives developers 2 months to get used to a 64 bit OS and 2 months to prepare their apps for a 970 release in September. So putting 2 and 2 toegther, I see a September [ooh, that's the fall right?] release with the 970 running a 64 bit OS X Panther.
  • Reply 126 of 137
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

I see a September [ooh, that's the fall right?] release with the 970 running a 64 bit OS X Panther.

tsk tsk, you should know better than that! Fall isn't until Sept. 21
  • Reply 127 of 137
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 128 of 137
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Hey Nonsuch and KidRed,

That was posted on March 22nd . . . old news now (almost , but not quite 2 weeks ago). I agree, Apple probably wanted to polish rough edges off the new OS, but I can still be optimistic about an early announcement of the 970, even if it is under an NDA at WWDC.

Most of the rumors regarding delivery dates, I take very lightly . . . including Fall announcement of 970, and Sept. release of Panther. I figure, we get it when Apple is ready to release it, and I for one don't have inside info to Apple's release dates, but that's not saying I don't have inside info to other companies' release dates.

The 970 will be ready, in full force, by 2H '03. Interpret that as you want.
  • Reply 129 of 137
    neumacneumac Posts: 93member
  • Reply 130 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by neumac

From MacWhispers:

Apple PPC 970 Deployment Ahead of Schedule

WWDC?

Wow, I'd pee my pants while wearing an inner layer plastic poncho if that were to happen
  • Reply 131 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Last calendar I looked at had the 21st of September falling in September, it also happened to be the first day of fall. I guess the Kid had it right all along!

Thanks for the assist.
  • Reply 132 of 137
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neumac

From MacWhispers:

Apple PPC 970 Deployment Ahead of Schedule

WWDC?

Just a guess, but methinks some one is extending April's Fool jokes and emailing Jack Campbell jibberish or he's just making stuff up.
  • Reply 133 of 137
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    The 'vibe' on the grapevine seems ahead of schedule.

IBM were conservative in their original estimates. And if Apple worked with them on this 970 or requested it then...is anybody really surprised?

I'm currently having the workroom decorated Egyptian blue and Aqua (of course...) with glass table. So I hope Apple hurry up with the Cubesque G5 tower...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 134 of 137
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Architosh indicates the same thing.
  • Reply 135 of 137
    vvmpvvmp Posts: 63member
    isn't IBM set to intro their PPC970 based server blades this month? Perhaps this will indicate when the blades/processors will actually ship.
  • Reply 136 of 137
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

Architosh indicates the same thing.

Great news. I just hope that all this speculation regarding the ppc 970 going into Apple computers as well as the earlier date come true. If not, I going to suffer an awfully bad case of premature emaculation.
  • Reply 137 of 137
    If IBM is ahead of schedule lets all give them an applause. I know that if these rumors are true the next couple of years are going to be great for the Mac. No more will we have to rely on Moto. Big Blue is going to be our new big brother as we have just swapped the other one in for a more cooler one.