Laptops run all day on a charge

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apparently Intel has figured out how to do it. Centrino looks like a decent chip set.



http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...el_centrino_dc



Anybody know if IBM is working on a G5 variant to compete?
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 23
    trydtryd Posts: 135member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Jukebox Hero

    Apparently Intel has figured out how to do it. Centrino looks like a decent chip set.



    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...el_centrino_dc



    Anybody know if IBM is working on a G5 variant to compete?




    What's the big deal? I get about 3,5 - 4 hours from my PB (17") (Yes - I really do - Just today I used it for notetaking in class. After 2 periods I still had about 65% charge left. When I lecture I keep the PB turned on for 1 h. 45 min. continuously with a video canon connected. I usually have about 50-60% charge left after this). Just turn off BlueTooth and AirPort when you don't use it and keep the light on the screen down.

    Then - after 3-4 hours, close the screen, change the battery (always keep one fully loaded in your pack) - it'll take about 10 sec., open the screen and continue working. A 10 sec. break after 3,5 hours is surely not too much to ask?

    I fail to see the problem.



    Terje
  • Reply 2 of 23
    I want a fusion powered battery which provides 6 month charges for under $100 each. Also the depleted uranion 'dead' batteries should double for artillery shells for the ongoing US conquest.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

    I want a fusion powered battery which provides 6 month charges for under $100 each. Also the depleted uranion 'dead' batteries should double for artillery shells for the ongoing US conquest.





    Uhm, it's either uranium and fission or hydrogen and fusion. Neither of which would be very healthy...
  • Reply 4 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Smircle

    Uhm, it's either uranium and fission or hydrogen and fusion. Neither of which would be very healthy...



    Lead laptops...only 55lbs
  • Reply 5 of 23
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The trend downward in the battery lives of Apple portables is a bit disheartening, whatever the reason. I remember when the first iBook came out with a 6 hour battery life, and it seemed like Apple was going to try for an honest all-day charge. Well, that didn't last long...
  • Reply 6 of 23
    gah i was getting a decent charge I guess until I installed 10.2.8, I used to get 4 hours on a single charge with airport on, on my 15inch, but now... 2 hours just today WTF
  • Reply 7 of 23
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by tryd

    What's the big deal? I get about 3,5 - 4 hours from my PB (17") (Yes - I really do - Just today I used it for notetaking in class. After 2 periods I still had about 65% charge left. When I lecture I keep the PB turned on for 1 h. 45 min. continuously with a video canon connected. I usually have about 50-60% charge left after this). Just turn off BlueTooth and AirPort when you don't use it and keep the light on the screen down.

    Then - after 3-4 hours, close the screen, change the battery (always keep one fully loaded in your pack) - it'll take about 10 sec., open the screen and continue working. A 10 sec. break after 3,5 hours is surely not too much to ask?

    I fail to see the problem.



    Terje




    On a single battery. Apple should be competative with the rest of the market. That means getting 5-6 hours out of a single battery.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kraig911

    gah i was getting a decent charge I guess until I installed 10.2.8, I used to get 4 hours on a single charge with airport on, on my 15inch, but now... 2 hours just today WTF



    Have you actually timed this, or are you going by what it says at the top of your screen?
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Who knows why 10.2.8 kills so much battery time. Regardless, I think you will all be happy by what Panther does to your battery life... on my old ti500, battery life has jumped from (and this I verified in real-world) around 2.5 to 3hrs all the way up to... 4.5hrs or so.



    Im hoping that the new 1.25Ghz 15incher I have just ordered will be able to pull off 4.5 to 5hrs no problem.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

    Originally posted by danmanix

    Who knows why 10.2.8 kills so much battery time. Regardless, I think you will all be happy by what Panther does to your battery life... on my old ti500, battery life has jumped from (and this I verified in real-world) around 2.5 to 3hrs all the way up to... 4.5hrs or so.



    Im hoping that the new 1.25Ghz 15incher I have just ordered will be able to pull off 4.5 to 5hrs no problem.




    God I hope so. I have a rev a TiBook and I get less than an hour out of mine now doing nothing but writing.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kraig911

    gah i was getting a decent charge I guess until I installed 10.2.8, I used to get 4 hours on a single charge with airport on, on my 15inch, but now... 2 hours just today WTF



    Could just be the battery is getting old. My Dell (Don't say it) lasts 2 minutes on a charge.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Don't worry fuel cells are coming just squirt in some more fuel and keep going endlessly
  • Reply 13 of 23
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It's not the battery getting old.



    I just installed 10.2.8 (from 10.2.6) yesterday. I used to boot to about 4-4.5 hours and then it would rapidly decrease to 3-3.5 range where it would however for an extended time (actually timed on a watch, it'd take me about 4 hours to drain the battery just typing and surfing)



    Now, it boots showing, 2:25-2:35 and climbs a bit as I use it and then hovers around that mark for a good long while.



    Could it be that the computer (under 10.2.8) doesn't report time remainig accurately. It wasn't accurate under .2.6 either, just to note, but it started off optimistically.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by The Angel of the Abyss

    Don't worry fuel cells are coming just squirt in some more fuel and keep going endlessly



    Ummm, I don't want to carry around gasoline (or liquid hydrogen!) for my laptop. That is NOT ease of use and simplicity. Fuel cells are a bad design IMHO.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Yevgeny

    Ummm, I don't want to carry around gasoline (or liquid hydrogen!) for my laptop. That is NOT ease of use and simplicity. Fuel cells are a bad design IMHO.



    Haha well then IMHO your HO is not a good opinion



    You don't have to carry around liquid hydrogen, you should be able to fill'er up at your house and go all day. The question is what would they do with the water vapor?!
  • Reply 16 of 23
    I heard people talking of fuel-celled portable batteries, anyone know anything about that?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Jukebox Hero

    Could just be the battery is getting old. My Dell (Don't say it) lasts 2 minutes on a charge.



    Dude! You got a Dell!
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Actually, the portable fuel cells runs on an alcohol based fluid not unlike windshield washer fluid. So, you can leave the H at home.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

    Actually, the portable fuel cells runs on an alcohol based fluid not unlike windshield washer fluid. So, you can leave the H at home.



    Perhaps I don't understand it but a product created is still water vapor correct? What do you do with that, I mean will ti evaporate enough that you don't have to worry about buildup?
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Look into the following articles...



    Link 1

    Link 2

    Link 3

    Link 4

    Link 5
Sign In or Register to comment.