Quality control issues with new PowerBooks...particularly the 15"?

Comments

• Reply 441 of 588
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    I was yesterday in an Apple dealer in Belgium and I asked why they don't have display models of the 15" powerbook in the store. They said without hesitation that they don't have anything (display or stock) since the first batch of these powerbooks sufferered from the white spot "illness". They said that the problem now has been corrected and the second batch will not exhibit this defect. It remains to see what people have to say about the issue in the near future, when they receive their powerbooks after repair.
  • Reply 442 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

My second battery has a capacity of 4.5 A hr. Note that 3.5 A hr does not mean that it lasts 3.5 hr off the power cord. My 4.5 A hr batter lasts about 3.75 hours off charge, on average.

Oh, OK. Where did you get a second battery with a different power-rating, or current-rating, or whatever? How can I find the A Hr rating of my battery?
  • Reply 443 of 588
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Oh, OK. Where did you get a second battery with a different power-rating, or current-rating, or whatever? How can I find the A Hr rating of my battery?

I had ordered a second battery with my 15". It arrived almost a month after the PB.

You can use "Xbattery" to find out all kinds of interesting information regarding the power management.
  • Reply 444 of 588
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I was yesterday in an Apple dealer in Belgium and I asked why they don't have display models of the 15" powerbook in the store. They said without hesitation that they don't have anything (display or stock) since the first batch of these powerbooks sufferered from the white spot "illness". They said that the problem now has been corrected and the second batch will not exhibit this defect. It remains to see what people have to say about the issue in the near future, when they receive their powerbooks after repair.

The Apple tech at my campus store echoed this when i picked up my powerbook after having the screen replaced. He said the problems have been fixed.

getting a new screen also fixed my latch, he said the hook in the first run of 15" PBs wasn't long enough, but this has been corrected along with the white spots.
  • Reply 445 of 588
    my replacement PB (and upgraded to 1.25GHz model) has shipped today. this is supposedly fresh off the assembly line with the screen problems corrected. when i get it, i will report back on the white spot issue.
  • Reply 446 of 588
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mac's girl

my replacement PB (and upgraded to 1.25GHz model) has shipped today. this is supposedly fresh off the assembly line with the screen problems corrected. when i get it, i will report back on the white spot issue.

have you received it yet?

j/k
  • Reply 447 of 588
    Well, mixed response from me - today i received my 1.25 15" back with a new screen - its perfect so far, it looks like they have fixed the screen problems... though i'll have to give it another few weeks to be sure about this one...

On the other hand they were supposed to fix my battery charging problems which i don't think they have. the repair form states that they have exchanged the PMU (power management unit) on the left side of the machine but when I plugged the PB to the power adapter the battery meter just sticks to showing "calculating time until full" and the ring around the power plug stays green endlessly (instead of turning orange to indicate its charging the battery) without the battery charge percentage meter showing any upwards progress at all - needless to say I'm not happy about this and really not sure what to do - the machine has been with apple for over 3 weeks for this repair and I really don't want to send it back again - especially since it looks as though they are not doing the right thing to fix the problem

Any suggestions you guys might have would bee most welcome, has any one else had battery charge issues with their AL15"?

thanks

Rash
  • Reply 448 of 588
    Damn! i have just had a really obnoxious thing happen to me - I decided to try and fully discharge my battery and disconnected the power cord, the battery charge was at 67% - it slowly edged it way down to 50% and then BOOM!! it went down to 3% without warning in the space of 2 seconds!!!!

WTF is happening Apple?

I'm beginning to think I should have bought a Sony PC instead of this good looking Aluminum useless brick of a laptop! - well not really but seriously this is bloody unacceptable - they had it in for repair and they fuK*ed it up!!!

What am i supposed to do now?
  • Reply 449 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

have you received it yet?

j/k

fed ex doesnt work THAT fast...

it says delivery scheduled for Nov 14th, but i wont believe it til i am holding it in my hands. ...now where is that PB withdrawal symptoms smiley?
  • Reply 450 of 588
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rashumon

Damn! i have just had a really obnoxious thing happen to me - I decided to try and fully discharge my battery and disconnected the power cord, the battery charge was at 67% - it slowly edged it way down to 50% and then BOOM!! it went down to 3% without warning in the space of 2 seconds!!!!

WTF is happening Apple?

I'm beginning to think I should have bought a Sony PC instead of this good looking Aluminum useless brick of a laptop! - well not really but seriously this is bloody unacceptable - they had it in for repair and they fuK*ed it up!!!

What am i supposed to do now?

Chill.

Sounds like the replaced PMU and the battery need to be acquainted with each other. In the manual that came with your laptop, it provides a process for calibrating a battery, and this *has* to be done. You likely need to do it again.

1) Charge it all the way.

2) Unplug it.

3) Use it until it is *totally* drained. Keep it from going to sleep.

4) When it finally gives up at 1% or so, and kicks into emergency sleep, *only* then should you plug it in, and *let it charge fully*.

I did this and it took four *hours* to reach 100%... the last three were creeping from 97% to 100%. Since then, I've had zero problems, and much better battery life.
  • Reply 451 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Chill.

Sounds like the replaced PMU and the battery need to be acquainted with each other. In the manual that came with your laptop, it provides a process for calibrating a battery, and this *has* to be done. You likely need to do it again.

1) Charge it all the way.

2) Unplug it.

3) Use it until it is *totally* drained. Keep it from going to sleep.

4) When it finally gives up at 1% or so, and kicks into emergency sleep, *only* then should you plug it in, and *let it charge fully*.

I did this and it took four *hours* to reach 100%... the last three were creeping from 97% to 100%. Since then, I've had zero problems, and much better battery life.

Man I wish I could do that - I know of the procedure (tried to reset the PMU as well)... the current problem I got is that the Battery flat out (pun intended) simply won't charge. its stuck at 0% charge and the only way to get the PB to work is to use it plugged in..... the ring around the power plug is green and the battery simply isn't charging....
  • Reply 452 of 588
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Man I wish I could do that - I know of the procedure (tried to reset the PMU as well)... the current problem I got is that the Battery flat out (pun intended) simply won't charge. its stuck at 0% charge and the only way to get the PB to work is to use it plugged in..... the ring around the power plug is green and the battery simply isn't charging....

Well then that means the battery is toast. Have Apple replace it.

Sounds like it was the battery and not the PMU all along.
  • Reply 453 of 588
    Quote:

the repair form states that they have exchanged the PMU (power management unit) on the left side of the machine

You people are lucky, there is no such thing like "repair form" here in Europe. You simply don't know what they do on your machine.
  • Reply 454 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

You people are lucky, there is no such thing like "repair form" here in Europe. You simply don't know what they do on your machine.

You sure? I'm in the UK and i did recieve a stupid little piece of paper inside the box when they shipped it back - it was very uninformative but it did list items that have been relaced....

where are you from?
  • Reply 455 of 588
    Quote:

where are you from?

Belgium.
  • Reply 456 of 588
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Ok my screen has officially developed white spots. It was nothing...then maybe 3-4 pixel wide spots that were whiter then the rest but working in PS I discoverd a whole array of the small whiter spots with a whiter then the rest of the screen (but not as much as the spots) circle encompassing them. Oh well once reports are in that the problem is fixed I'll send my PBook in.
  • Reply 457 of 588
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well, Friday will be week 3 of owning this thing. And still, so far so good...as far as screen stuff and latch stuff goes. I hope things continue...
  • Reply 458 of 588
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Well, Friday will be week 3 of owning this thing. And still, so far so good...as far as screen stuff and latch stuff goes. I hope things continue...

Guess I'm lucky also, just checked, no white spots yet either. Although, I'm to the point now that I really don't care that much, if they do appear, I'll just wait until it's clear the problem is solved then get it fixed.

I still can't get over the fact that how much this laptop impresses me. Yesterday, some one I know that has a fairly top of the line Windows desktop installed a video capture card and software to download clips for editing. Granted the program he used was more capable than iMovie, but he just couldn't get it to work. I plugged the camcorder into my laptop, with his help, and viola' instant downloads, instant segregrated clips and in a matter of minutes a video was done. Ha, windows fast, balderdash, if it don't work speed is meaningless.
  • Reply 459 of 588
    Well only 10 days down so far, so I guess I'm still in the "danger zone" according to some of these posts, but so far so good - no dead pixels, white spots or uneven backlighting. Screen is not as improved compared to my old Rev A TiBook as I thought it might be, but the extra resolution and brightness is most welcome.

Bought from a dealer so Panther not included (despite ordering after 24 Oct so still waiting for my upgrade to arrive, but 10.2.8 seems to be running fine.

Slightly off the previous topics, but the one complaint I have so far is that it will not automatically connect to my airport upon waking from sleep. I have to go into the Airport menu and select the network. And yes I do have "Join a specific network" checked in the Airport tab of the Network prefs before anyone asks. Any ideas?
  • Reply 460 of 588
    got my replacement PB15 1.25Ghz this morning, almost 2 weeks after i returned my 1Ghz model for the dreaded white spot problem. too early to tell if white spot issue has been fixed, but here's the report so far:

panther came preloaded.

so far, screen looks good except for one dead pixel and one stuck red pixel.

latch seems a little different and works perfectly.

keyboard backlighting is not as good as my previous PB, but not terrible.

this one seems to run a little bit hotter than the 1Ghz one i sent back.

the battery meter takes forever to register the correct time remaining, and im hoping that a second calibration will improve that.

the left command key sticks in the down position for a second and then makes a snapping sound as it pops back up. (anyone know if i can fix this on my own?)

...i'll keep you all posted as far as the white spot issue is concerned.