Halo in 2 days

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone else excited..

I beat the game on xbox but I am looking forward to the death matches on the computer...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    I know it will be available for PC. Will it be available for the Mac?\

That would rock....
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slackula

That would rock....

Yes it's going to be released the same time. Here is a good interview:

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/tamte_interview.091103/
  • Reply 3 of 39
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slackula

That would rock....

The Mac version probably isn't even beta yet...
  • Reply 4 of 39
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sroach

Yes it's going to be released the same time. Here is a good interview:

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/tamte_interview.091103/

Where in that interview does anybody mention a Mac release date? It just mentions the fact that work on both ports were STARTED simultaneously.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Halo for PC will start appearing in stores across the country by September 30, 2003. Halo for Mac will be out shortly afterwards and we'll bring you the latest updates as they become available.

http://halo.bungie.net/news/stories/...oldHaloPC.html
  • Reply 6 of 39

i'm a bit put off by the 'shortly afterwards'. shortly could mean minutes, and it could mean years.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i'm a bit put off by the 'shortly afterwards'. shortly could mean minutes, and it could mean years.

Yes..unfortunately "shortly afterwards" means "months" in software-dev talk.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Anyone know if there will be a level editor?

mmmmm....mods.......
  • Reply 9 of 39
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I wonder how demanding it'll be compared to UT 2003... my eMac can just run UT 2003 at minimum settings with an acceptable frame rate. Also, I tried a number of demos yesterday (Ghost Recon, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Jedi Knight II) and all ran pretty well. Well enough that I'd buy the game if I liked it. But I'm holding out for a Halo demo so I can see how it runs.

If not... oh well, I've beaten the entire game on single player Legendary on my brother's XBox, so it's not like I'll be missing much.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Tired of Microsoft buying up companies and then delaying/canceling their Apple (or heck, even Windows) port? Well, then don't support Microsoft. No matter how cool Halo looks, how fun it is, or what platform it runs on, I will never buy it. Why support Microsoft when they continually screw consumers over for their own gain?
  • Reply 11 of 39
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    anything with (and including) a GeForceMX 32MB or less will be crap... or so they say.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Sorry guys I may have spoken to soon. Looks like they need to clean things up first.

I hope it's not to long.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    I hereby predict that there will never be a Mac version. Yes, I read the quotes above about, "shortly afterwards." Never.

Just a feeling I'm getting. I would like to be wrong on this one.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by spotcatbug

I hereby predict that there will never be a Mac version. Yes, I read the quotes above about, "shortly afterwards." Never.

My prediction: Halo 1 for the Mac after Halo 2 is released

That way they steal all the thunder. The XBox will get Halo 2 and nobody will care about Halo 1 anymore.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by adpowers

No matter how cool Halo looks, how fun it is, or what platform it runs on, I will never buy it. Why support Microsoft when they continually screw consumers over for their own gain?

Halo is fun. If the demo runs even marginally well on my computer, I'm buying.

That seems like a very closed-minded point of view to me. Why boycott MS? I don't boycott MS, the reason I don't buy stuff from them usually is because they're not good. Their mice are okay but I prefer Logitech - however, if MS released a mouse I liked more, I might buy it. Same with Halo. I love Halo on my brother's XBox... why not buy it for Mac? Political reasons? That's kind of like being a "moral vegetarian" - one who boycotts meat because it's cruel to animals, instead of just choosing to do it for health reasons or something. Give me a break.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I love Halo on my brother's XBox... why not buy it for Mac?

I wouldn't buy until I knew how it ran on my Mac. So far the highest-end PCs (P4 Extweeemes with 9800 Pro) are having trouble getting more than 35fps.

If current Mac game ports are any indication of how optimized they are for the Mac, I'll be lucky to hit 12fps on my DP 800 G4.

Prove me wrong Westlake (the porthouse bringing Halo to Mac btw) if it's even possible.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    I read a review... argh. They gave it good marks, but they knocked down the "Fun" score to 4/5 because of the slowdowns, and they also reduced the "Graphics" score to 3.5/5 because despite the two-year-old graphics, it's STILL slower than UT 2003 (which can only really mean that they did a HORRIBLE job of optimizing it).

Why? WHY!!?? It's Halo! The graphics are good, but somewhat old, and they run perfectly on an XBox, which is only 733 MHz with a GeForce 3 64MB!
  • Reply 18 of 39
    It sounds like my G4 867 Powerbook might not run it..

I guess we will wait and see...
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Why? WHY!!?? It's Halo! The graphics are good, but somewhat old, and they run perfectly on an XBox, which is only 733 MHz with a GeForce 3 64MB!

That's indeed terrible. I remember the first demos of it. It was running sm00th on a G4 500 (or less) on either a RADEON or Rage128. Of course, the graphics engine is displaying prettier graphics now, with all the fancy, hairy, glossy pixelshaders, and more, but I don't think there's any reason for it to perform that bad. This is bad, Gearbox, bad. We can only dream of having a pleasant experience on anything less than a G5 now, I predict.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    rara Posts: 623member
    Halo? What's Halo?

Next.