What happened on AI way back?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've digged in the history and AI apparently was created in 1999, reborn in 2001, and has turned into a huge form & rumor place ever since. Any more info? Also, when did AI have the bad rep?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Can you be more specific? What else would you like to know?
  • Reply 2 of 49
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    AppleInsider, bad rep' since 1999.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    AI has a bad rep? Excellent. I prefer it to the "lonely underdog, red-headed stepchild of MacNN".

It is the forum that I've been a member of for the longest. (July 9, 1999).

Damn, that's a long time when I really stop to think about it.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    http://www.macobserver.com/article/2000/08/03.10.shtml

That's why AI has a bad rep.

And then there was the apology:

http://www.macobserver.com/editorial/2000/08/04.1.shtml

I remember when that article was published.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    I remember WorkerBee. Truthfully AI has not changed much, just a different cast, and I think there are more members now. The one difference is that the server almost never crashes these days.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rick1138

The one difference is that the server almost never crashes these days.

Oh yes! AI used to crash all the time in the early days. Not to mention how many times it slowed down to unusability. I'm sure it made quite a few people leave with the server crashing so much, and crashing for what could be days at a time.

One other thing is that Appleinsider.com actually had rumors and scoops back then. Well, it was easier back in those days. And still even easier pre-Jobs.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

... Love to hear your thoughts on Wilsongate.

Can I use the word "liberal" near the word "media". Here's a new phrase that needs to be put into use, "media lie" or maybe "media spin". The former being more accurate than the later.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    i remember when I joined, It was back in late '99, I remember when it was down.,..the blackout, and I whent to MacNN forums..and then there were all these posts about where everyone had gone,

and then

when it came back, it was so exciting

whenever it comes back , it is exciting

but, i remember when the "Sears Retail" thing was on that sidebar to the right....

whoaw

long time ago

For me, at least, it seems, like there are few stars here, like Brad, he is a star..a star...like, "Hey, it's BONER! HEY BONER WHAT IS GOING ON MAN!"

you know what I mean?
  • Reply 9 of 49
    I remember a little while back about how someone was going to write a history of AppleInsider? no? sorry!
  • Reply 10 of 49
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I remember Anders starting this Insane Elite gang, us joining and farting around for a few days, and then everyone moved on with their lives.

Well, almost everyone.

• Reply 11 of 49
    Are you implying something? Or am I just DAFT!
  • Reply 12 of 49
    and I started the Insane Elite, he started the Sane Elite , which had some weird requirements to be in the club...like two sane posts, search for it, you will find it
  • Reply 13 of 49
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    anyone remember back when it was called applereality?
  • Reply 14 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Oh yes! AI used to crash all the time in the early days. Not to mention how many times it slowed down to unusability. I'm sure it made quite a few people leave with the server crashing so much, and crashing for what could be days at a time.

One other thing is that Appleinsider.com actually had rumors and scoops back then. Well, it was easier back in those days. And still even easier pre-Jobs.

I remember the search function of UBB.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

I remember the search function of UBB.

No such thing.

LIES!
  • Reply 16 of 49
    Man, I remember back in the day when we'd all drive out to the Mall (Capital Mall in DC), and beat-up the kids at macNN with cricket bats while listening to techno and setting old USSR flags on fire.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    A quote from an old post of mine here:

Quote:

Here's a *very* brief history of AppleInsider, Mulattabianca.

It started as a small one-page section hosted on MacNN called "Reality".

Later, a small forum section was added for Reality.

Reality was eventually renamed AppleInsider and given its own domain name and forums, but still owned by MacNN.

The old black and purple forums and site were updated to a dark blue, green, and grey color scheme.

The "great blackout" occurred when the ISP that was hosting AI's server disappeared.

MacNN eventually restarted AI and the forums on its own servers with the current light grey color scheme.

The front page disappeared as no one was updating it. It was redirected to the forums.

SlapTech approached MacNN to buy the AppleInsider name and forums.

The front page returned, redirecting to SlapTech.

SlapTech returned AI's regular front page and started posting updates.

Currently, the forums are still hosted on MacNN's servers. We don't know when they will be transitioned onto SlapTech's servers.

AppleInsider has always been "the redheaded stepchild" that MacNN didn't like. AppleInsider on several occasions got MacNN into some legal issues with a number of big-name companies. MacNN couldn't be seen as a reputable news site by Apple because of its connections and history with AppleInsider. So, MacNN was actually quite happy to get rid of us.

What is this SlapTech? I won't say, but why don't you do a whois query on AppleInsider.com and see the name server that points to this domain. There is a conspiracy theory and it is true.

Then, in February of this year, we finally switched the server software from UBB to vBulletin. We were still without a decent front page, though.

Then, in early September this year, Kasper returned and started making regular posts to the front page.

And some snapshots of our glorious history:

The server is down... again.

AI reports on the Apple stores way in advance

1999's forums

July 2000's infamous "Sources Provide Renditions of New Apple Mouse" article shows that AI was full of crap

Early 2001's forums

1999-2001's front page design

May 16, 2001's "Today's active threads..."

The infamous Silicon Alley

2002's new forum design

Front page with SlapTech info

Neal screws up our vB installation
  • Reply 18 of 49
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I miss Dorsal's posts.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    I miss the old jolly roger.