Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Giaguara

central station.

city of god.

taxi or taxi driver / not the one you think, an argentinian movie instead

ardilla roja (red squirrel?).

long goodbye.

(of those, i will bring the first 2 with me in dvd but they are with the region code 2)

palermo milano solo andata.

kauas pilvet karkaavat/nuvole in viaggio/ i don't know its english title. by one of the kaurismaki brothers.

nuovo cinema paradiso.

malena.

all about my mother, live flesh, talk to her etc by pedro almodovar. (could loan these if you can see region code 2 films)

these to start with ...

City of God is on my list but I guess it's not out yet of DVD? I assume that "nuovo cinema paradiso" is the "director's cut"? That was horrible and ruined the original for me. Very very disappointed with it. Somethings are best left on the cutting room floor. I'll look into the rest. Netflix is weak with foreign movies but they are getting better.

[/B]

Well. City of God is out in UK, it-s been released 22 Sep 2003, so we're shipping it plenty ... I'll buy it and Central Station tomorrow, so I'll have them once I come back to US. Both with region code 2. At least City Of God is not out in US, and I don-'t know if or when they-ll release it ... if they-ll release it. (sorry, i-m not with my habitual keyboard.)
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Scott you must definately see The Third Man, it is a work of genius.

There is a French film called Les Jeux Interdit that I saw once which captivated and scarred me . It is about two orphans thrown together by the strafing of a refugee column during WW11- I want to see again now!
  • Reply 23 of 62
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Quote:

Peter Jackson's .... HEAVENLY CREATURES and THE FRIGHTENERS.

I may have seen these.

Check out his first movie "Bad Taste", follow it with "BrainDead" and then "Meet the Feebles". You will ask yourself how he was ever allowed to make an epic that is LOTR! The first two are hilarious 'splatter' movies and the latter a sick use of puppetry. You will never look at Kermit the same again.

As for Lock Stock and Run Lola Run, both are very stylish movies which have a good flow. RLR has a killer ST as well, and I typically hate the music.

Try this site for a few snippets of the master at work
  • Reply 24 of 62
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Yeah- I really like when movies have a "style" to them! It makes 'em fun!

Has anyone seen "Once Upon a Time in Mexico"? I thought this was pretty cool too!

Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

Check out his first movie "Bad Taste", follow it with "BrainDead" and then "Meet the Feebles". You will ask yourself how he was ever allowed to make an epic that is LOTR! The first two are hilarious 'splatter' movies and the latter a sick use of puppetry. You will never look at Kermit the same again.

As for Lock Stock and Run Lola Run, both are very stylish movies which have a good flow. RLR has a killer ST as well, and I typically hate the music.

Try this site for a few snippets of the master at work

• Reply 25 of 62
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    I see daily about 80-90 % of the movies (dvds and vhs) sold in UK and Ireland ... and believe me, most titles are boring. I don't believe how many people buy Friends, Frasier etc tv shows in dvd boxes, or the old bad bad movies like Grease, Honey I shrunk The Kids, Saturday Night Feaver, Footloose, E.T., Gremlins etc etc etc. I hope I today finally manage to buy those few dvds I desire from there.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Hey, Scott--

There have been some great suggestions on this thread.

I have to agree with those who suggested THE CONVERSATION. Brilliant performance by Gene Hackman.

Also, the original SOLARIS is far superior to the remake, although I warn you... Andrei Tarkovsky movies run at a dream-like pace (the film is 3 hours long). If that doesn't bother you, then check out Tarkovksy's final film, THE SACRIFICE. Wonderful family drama with a surprising "what if?" scenario. However, no camera shot lasts less than two minutes.

Other great films from the 1960s and 1970s include:

The Jack Nicholson films CHINATOWN (my favorite film of all time), FIVE EASY PIECES, CARNAL KNOWLEDGE and THE LAST DETAIL.

The great Brian DiPalma flick BLOW OUT, which features John Travolta's best performance ever.

Director Roman Polanksi's earlier films including KNIFE IN THE WATER (which was just released by Criterion on DVD) and CUL-DE-SAC, which features a hilarious over-the-top performance from Donald Pleasance. And of course, one of his all time classics (besides CHINATOWN)... ROSEMARY'S BABY. But I'm sure you've seen that.

Wim Wenders is another great director, and his films WINGS OF DESIRE (which was remade as the much weaker CITY OF ANGELS) is considered one of the best films of the 1980s. PARIS, TEXAS is also a little gem of a film, with great performances from Harry Dean Stanton and Natassja Kinski.

Lastly, two overlooked films from the 1980s and one from the 1990s:

SORCERER, which was director William Friedken's remake of THE WAGES OF FEAR. Came out after THE EXORCIST and bombed, but is a great film with a superior performance from Roy Scheider. Features the most amazing sequence of two military trucks trying to cross a rickety rope bridge in an Amazon downpour, and this is before the advent of CGI. You'll be on the edge of your seat.

RUNAWAY TRAIN, which did garner Oscar nominations for Jon Voight and Eric Roberts, so it's not totally "overlooked." Still one of my favorite action thrillers. You may have already seen this, but if not, it's worth owning.

From the 1990s, director Peter Weir's FEARLESS features some of Jeff Bridges' best work. Surprisingly (but deservingly), Rosie Perez got an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress. Very emotionally upsetting film about the survivors of a plane crash, but deeply spiritual, occasionally funny and features the best use of a U2 song in any movie.

Happy movie viewing!
  • Reply 27 of 62
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    What we do is pick a director and see all of his or her films. Have a Godard film fest.

The good think about running through all of the works from a particular director is that you get into that director's mind and you gain a better understanding of what he or she is doing. You can just go to IMDB and get a list of the the films so you can order them.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    You said you've seen almost all of the recent stuff but in case you've missed these, I highly recommend them:

The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys

Igby Goes Down

Pumpkin

Secretary

I also highly recommend The Conversation (as did many others here).

And if you're into Sam Raimi/Bruce Campbell:

Evil Dead and Evil Dead II are fun. Getting into the spirit of the season:

Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead and of course: Night of the Living Dead are good for this time of year....but not in that order. I forget which order they came in.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    You asked for it...

1. The Seven Samurai

2. Night on Earth

3. The Long Riders

4. Carlito's Way

5. Jesus' Son

6. Spirited Away

7. Princess Mononoke

8. Ghost in the Shell

9. The Fisher King

10. The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen

All I got...right now...
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Also, you can't underestimate getting background info either through reading or classes at a university. Most films are just cute stories if you don't know the background behind it or the director. You'll never understand a Lynch film if you don't know his background. There's really little point in just seeing a bunch of films and not understanding them. You will also find through studying that there are a gazillion great films you never heard of. I've noticed that there are two main types of cinephiles: those who pretend they have seen every film and those who realize that there are a ton of great films they have never heard of. I'm in the second group, and with a rate of 5-7 films per week for the past few years, it never ceases to amaze me how much is out there.

Have you seen all of Roman Polanski's films? Some of the older ones are really good.

Oh, the other thing you can do is run down the Top Movies @ IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/Top/

you really can't do wrong with those from the 'top rated' lists.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

10. The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen

See this with the other two in the trilogy. If you have a projector, Brazil is one of the most intesting to see on the big screen (I get it every time I just want something visually enjoyable), and Time Bandits is just fun.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Whatever you do DON'T get near Dream Catcher.

run, run and don't look back.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Luis Buñuel's The Phantom of Liberty was one of those movies that I picked up with no idea what to expect, but that I now recommend to everyone I know. It's a little surreal, has no central plot but is eminently watchable. It's a bit like Richard Linklater's Slacker meets Monty Python's Flying Circus.

I think Night of the Hunter is soon to be re-issued on DVD...its a great and often overlooked 50s thriller starring Robert Mitchum as a scary psycho preacher chasing two children through a dreamlike landscape.

I'll second Bunge's recommendation of My Best Fiend. Kinski was deeply crazy but incredibly gifted as an actor. Herzog himself is rumored to be more than a little imbalanced (although he seems very normal on-camera). I actually enjoyed this documentary more than I did any of the films they made together.

Beat Takashi's Hana Bi (aka Fireworks) is another gem. A slow moving, touching story about a Japanese cop trying to bring happiness back into the lives of his partner's widow, his crippled friend and his dying wife by perpetrating acts of extreme violence on various Yakuza scumbags. Has a great bank robbery scene that Guy Ritchie ripped off for Snatch.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Or you could just check out some of the Top 250 films as voted for by users of the IMDB.

Oops - just noticed that giant already mentioned this...
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Night of the hunter is out on DVD, I own it. Everytime i see it I get pissed off that Laughton only directed one film, albeit a great one.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    He was also apparently involved in the direction of The Man on the Eiffel Tower, but didn't get a credit. I haven't seen the film so have no idea if it matches up to Night of the Hunter.

I think this article must have been the reason why I thought it was to be re-issued...
  • Reply 37 of 62
    I?m not sure if this one was suggested, don?t have time to read all the post, go to study for French,

Equilibrium ? good movie, partly based on 1984 George Orwell.

Kill Bill ? when it comes out.

Reservoir Dogs ? directed by Quintin need I say more

Pulp Fiction ?

Donnie Darko ? good stuff

Cheats ? independent film, tells a story of 4 friends who cheated their way through high school, good stuff, need to find my vcd ripp of it.

• Reply 38 of 62
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I've seen all of those El Pinguino save for Mr Darko. Sounds like a rather odd movie.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I compiled most the suggestions in to one long list with comments.

****! I was doing it in Excell and it ****ing crashed on me when I went to save it. I didn't lose everything so I'll remake it post it later.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    cool, my list is already at a 100+ movies though. i'll have to save this thread.