Why don't people realize that Macs are superior?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I really don't understand it. So many people are in denial. Are they afraid to switch? Do they not know anything about Macs and OSX?

If more people bought Macs, hardware prices would go down and there would be more software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    That's Apple's fault that people are so ignorant of them, because of their poor marketing. Nobody knows anything about them. What I get is that people expect every Mac to be an all-in-one, unexpandable, colorful, low-level computer for soccer moms.

I mentioned that you can upgrade everything from the RAM to the processor of an old CRT iMac to my friend and his jaw dropped. I showed another guy OS X and he'd never seen it before, only the grey and glitchy OS 9. Others that maybe have even worked on the newest Power Mac with OS X installed might not like Macs for other reasons. It's their right. Just enjoy your Mac and let it be.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Yeah, they don't get the word out enough I don't think. I'd tell people about OS X and they'd probably be like wtf is that? Tell somebody about Windows XP, and they know what I'm talking about.

Maybe an OS X advertisement, if that makes sense at all?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    People have too many negative preconceived notions about Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Although some of the blame rests squarely on the shoulders of Apple's marketing nad lack of educating the masses, the most basic fact is that most people are lemmings.

If I had a dollar for everytme I've heard someone say that they want a PC because most of the people they know own one. No real reason other than that.

Like the Dog says, enjoy your Mac and let it be. (Do you think maybe Apple Corps will sue for use of that last bit?)
  • Reply 5 of 24
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    You can show them how good they are merely by you using them.

The best thing to do is to use your Mac publicly. If you are forced to use PCs at work, bring in your own Mac.

Even with an iBook, it impresses bystanders, clients and coworkers based on it's good looks and the varied work I am able to do on it. I can only imagine what a new Powerbook must be like to use.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Thing is though, if Macs were the dominant platform then Apple would be able to write the rules (as Microsoft do now).

You'd find your latest OS X update wouldn't be $129 anymore, it could be double that if they wanted. No need to attract switchers anymore and the Mac faithful would still buy it.

And hardware prices wouldn't come down. Why would they have to? Plus a load more software could mean a load more average software and not necessarily top notch titles.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ernest eMac

Thing is though, if Macs were the dominant platform then Apple would be able to write the rules (as Microsoft do now).

You'd find your latest OS X update wouldn't be $129 anymore, it could be double that if they wanted. No need to attract switchers anymore and the Mac faithful would still buy it.

And hardware prices wouldn't come down. Why would they have to? Plus a load more software could mean a load more average software and not necessarily top notch titles.

I know. I never want Apple to become Microsoft. I just want a market where Apple has about 15-20% of the marketshare, not just 5%. I always want Apple to be smaller b/c it means they work harder, are more motivated, and make better products.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    I had a meeting yesterday... and I brought my powerbook. Got to fix something with this website and all. Anyways so I pull out my powerbook, and he's used to it. the dude I work with he sees it all the time. But he's a big PC guy he'll just watch me use it, and he says crap like... dude.. I could never get used to working like that. He then goes to say "you know why mac people, like macs so much... its because they wanna be different..." I then said, "oooook", and then subsequently I fixed 2 of his windoze machines on his network. You know how windoze corrupts its network crap and you have to reload tcp/ip for it to even see the internet. hehe, god what a lout. Anyways I went on to tell him over coffee about the apple music store, and he was like whats that? gah apple does need to make a campaign showing people using their computer, to do the things everyone thinks only a windows machine can do, but with much more ease. I hope they do something in that sorta mindset with panther.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I'm fine with a Mercedes approach. The ad should show them something that is elegant and too expensive for them, make them lust for it, and ultimately it should underscore the fact that the viewer is not worthy of the product. The viewer, were they worthy of ownership, would more than likely already be driving it than sitting around watching an ad about them.

The fact that most people that see Mercedes commercials can only go out and buy Fords or Saturns should be utterly irrelevant to Mercedes. They should not lower the price or compromise the quality one iota. If you can't afford it, good. Try working harder and saving up for one.

Same for Apple. I don't give a rat's butt if grandma or uncle bob can't afford or figure out how to use a Powerbook. Don't dumb down the OS or cheapen the product to bring prices down, just so they can buy one.

Arrogance? You bet. Makes for some lovely products so long as the attention to detail matches the arrogance.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Same for Apple. I don't give a rat's butt if grandma or uncle bob can't afford or figure out how to use a Powerbook. Don't dumb down the OS or cheapen the product to bring prices down, just so they can buy one.

Arrogance? You bet. Makes for some lovely products so long as the attention to detail matches the arrogance.

Amen, Brother! Call me a jerk, but I'm sick of ignorant people saying "Macs suck" because the only Mac they ever used was a pizza box mac back in 1993 that crashed every 5 minutes. Let them suffer with their windows boxes. I'm happy with my Mac.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

Why don't people realize that Macs are superior?

Its statements like that, that brand most of the mac community as "stuck up".

Even though I agree that Macs are better. I word it diffrently and that would be fine.... and how bout some proof to back up your statement.

The only thing I don't understand is when you say anything about a Mac people get all defencive and are like "MACS ARE TEH SUXORZ" and im like ok... think what you want.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Many people don't realize it because they don't care--they simply don't care enough about computers to go out of their way and get something other than the default, and the default is windows.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Part of the problem is that it is harder to get pirated software for the Mac Another is sheer ignorance " is that windows for Macintosh? as a IT staff asked me once

Then some might have more valid points about applications that are not aviable for the mac.

But for the general computer user that need a stable virus free safe computer to run email, web browsing and Office OS X is way better than the worm ridden virus infested hacked MS OSes I have seen, but they will never know
  • Reply 14 of 24
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Macs superior? Maybe if you're into toys...

</sarcasm>
  • Reply 15 of 24
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I shall refrain from participating too much this thread, even though its subject is right up my alley and anyone paying attention for the past, oh, TWO OR THREE YEARS knows exactly what I think the problem is.

I'll just say that the fault rests squarely on Apple's - and Apple's alone - shoulders.

And that's really sad, considering...
  • Reply 16 of 24
    "Why don't people realize that Macs are superior?"

Here I've just been thinking they were all stupid....
  • Reply 17 of 24
    In my experience, they do know Macs are superior. It's just that they don't want to spend that much on a computer and/or they're worried that their favorite piece of software won't work.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

...and they're worried that their favorite piece of software won't work.

Tell them not to worry, we have solitaire too.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Tell them not to worry, we have solitaire too.

lol, actually his favorite thing is C&C: Generals, which is coming to the Mac. But there's still the cost issue. "Glitchy-but-works" beats "can't afford anything" in his mind.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I shall refrain from participating too much this thread, even though its subject is right up my alley and anyone paying attention for the past, oh, TWO OR THREE YEARS knows exactly what I think the problem is.

I'll just say that the fault rests squarely on Apple's - and Apple's alone - shoulders.

And that's really sad, considering...

Enlighten me. What is the big problem? Is it marketing?