Best HTML editor for mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Looking for the best HTML editor for MAC.

\tI am new to the MAC world since apostating from PC?s but generally fairly proficient with computers.

\tI also know very little in general of HTML ? but looking for something quite easy to use and quite powerful ? if such a thing exists.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    BBEdit lite

http://www.barebones.com/index.shtml

or versiontracker

its free and you can easially write in html, perl, sql etc with it.

it is the best
  • Reply 2 of 24
    they've discontinued lite.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    but i found it still available to download here
  • Reply 4 of 24
    if you know little of HTML, have a look at this:

Freeway Pro

It's an amazing program, truely WYSIWYG, and produces extremely clean code. It never ceases to amaze me what this program can do, and more importantly, how easily it does it.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    If you're comfortable coding HTML and on a budget, HyperEdit is a promising up-and-comer worth checking out.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    SubEthaEdit (formerly Hydra). Is free.

And it's neat.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    BBEdit is the program you're looking for.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    BBEdit! Hands, feet, neck, tongue and fingers down.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

BBEdit! Hands, feet, neck, tongue and fingers down.

If you don't know any HTML BBEdit won't help much. Freeway and PageSpinner would be a better choince then. Hydr.. errr... SubEthaEdit has the wery cool instant update webview so that'd be my choice before BBEdit also.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    Quote:

If you don't know any HTML BBEdit won't help much. Freeway and PageSpinner would be a better choice then.

I agree with this.

PageSpinner is what I recommend. It writes great, clean HTML, and it will help you to learn to write HTML properly.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    I have tried everything. My developers have tried everything (BBEdit, MacromediaMX, Hydra, etc ...) For our everyday use, we still use one product and swear by it! Check out JEdit. Yes, it's a Java based app, but performs without a glitch. It has fantastic Plug-Ins, can be fully customized, and is a true IDE environment. You can edit full java classes with it, while still doing html, php, perl, etc ... hope this helps

There is a .dmg file for MacOSX

www.jedit.org

Take Care
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Thank you for all the advise ? these all look like very good programs but they do seem to require some knowledge of HTML.

\tWondering if Dreamweaver of GoLive might be better for someone in my position? I am willing to learn HTMP but looking for something that I can click and drag to create some web pages at the beginning to assist me in this learning process.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TraditionalHunter

Thank you for all the advise ? these all look like very good programs but they do seem to require some knowledge of HTML.

\tWondering if Dreamweaver of GoLive might be better for someone in my position? I am willing to learn HTMP but looking for something that I can click and drag to create some web pages at the beginning to assist me in this learning process.

If you want to learn HTML from DW or GL, you won't get anywhere. They produce incredibly sloppy code.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    When is MAC going to come out with a 10 jigawatt iApple? d00dz what MAC do you mean? Are you talking about a machine address? The letters M, a, and c, do not stand for anything. How come people still do this? How many times have you seen it spelled like that compared to NOT spelled like that?

I really like Mozilla composer. It's so simple, and produces clean code. Easiest editor I've seen.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by penseive

SubEthaEdit (formerly Hydra). Is free.

And it's neat.

WHAT PENSEIVE SAID!!! Download it. Use it. Love it.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Stay away from Studio MX from Macromedia.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    I'll second Aquatic's vote for Mozilla's Composer app. I'll also second other's vote against BBedit in any form for a newbie. BBedit is a text editor with no preview html-page capabilities, so it's hardly optimal.

I prefer to use WYSIWYG editors and tweak/clean up by hand as needed.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

When is MAC going to come out with a 10 jigawatt iApple? d00dz what MAC do you mean? Are you talking about a machine address? The letters M, a, and c, do not stand for anything. How come people still do this? How many times have you seen it spelled like that compared to NOT spelled like that?

Dude, don't piss new users off like that. If you were truly hardcore instead of a wannabe zealot, you'd know that MAC can stand for Mouse Activated Computer.

I really like Mozilla composer. It's so simple, and produces clean code. Easiest editor I've seen.

Unless you want to actually write HTML. I don't know if the poster wanted to write HTML, or create web pages in a GUI tool. Mozilla Composer pages render crap in Internet Explorer. I'm all for standards compliance and all, but I'd rather standard compliant pages that also render well in IE.

Barto
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Pagespinner...

It is what I learned on.. and still use to this day.

Its also what most of the top web developers that use macs, use... like Jeffrey Zeldman, for instance.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    i think the best thing for learning html is probably www.htmlgoodies.com at least that's where i got all my basics. after that, just about any program works it just depends on what you want.

i had bbedit for a while and didn't like it. used a couple of those other programs mentioned and they all work fine, but finally i got golive and love it. but i don't think that any of these programs are really going to teach you html that well.