I Absolutely Love the New iMac

Comments

• Reply 20 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by danB:

<strong>I like the new machine, but... Apple lost me as a customer anyway. Calculating with current exchange rates, the top model costs about 2280 US Dollars in Germany!!!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are there other American-made "name brand" computers (not something generic) with 15" LCD and Superdrive, for less than $2280 converted from DM?
  • Reply 22 of 49
    danbdanb Posts: 23member
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>

Are there other American-made "name brand" computers (not something generic) with 15" LCD and Superdrive, for less than $2280 converted from DM?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, it's hard to find something similar to the iMac, cause it's such a unique machine.

But I went into the badlands (a.k.a. Dell's Onlineshop) and configured a machine with FireWire, TFT 15", Harman Kardon speakers and so on (lacking the Super drive, but instead I'd get a usual CD burner, 3 PCI slots and a 64MB GeForce2 in a 4x AGP slot). Final price: 1700 $. And not 2280.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    ...oh, did I mention that the Dell thingy I just mentioned has 256 Megs of DDR-RAM and an Ultra-ATA 100 HDD?

Well, I still like Apple, they build cool machines and have the best OS on this planet. But it's just too expensive.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    ichmulichmul Posts: 21member
    Topic: I Absolutely Love the New iMac

/agree

and I believe that the 133 Mhz is only a jumper setting away...wait 4 months, iMac will become cheaper and way more powerful...
  • Reply 25 of 49
    You know what will be real fun?

Smoking almost evry other Mac out there, Powermac or not (at least for a short while).

SdC
  • Reply 26 of 49

<strong>I like the new machine, but... Apple lost me as a customer anyway. Calculating with current exchange rates, the top model costs about 2280 US Dollars in Germany!!!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey that's a steal LOL Have you seen the price in Belgium? It's even more expensive. ------------------------ my heart stopped pounding
  • Reply 27 of 49
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    I will marry the new iMac.

(Just as soon as I can afford the wedding).

Release the most expensive model first?

Very, Very, Clever, Mr Jobs.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member

Very, Very, Clever, Mr Jobs.

yes...but i wanted the top of the line anyway, so i'm glad that they didn't release it last....of course if it was upgrade/released last, maybe i would wait for revision B with 133pc and whatever else is slightly lacking....still i will use this iMac for many years and be quite happy i think...till one of the kids steals it off to college...g
  • Reply 29 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by philbot:

<strong>

Very, Very, Clever, Mr Jobs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that line about "Well, these will be the most popular so......."

Total crap. He'll be able to report larger revenue totals for the quarter because the majority of the sales were of the $1800 variety.....

Ah, well. Spin, spin, spin......

SdC
  • Reply 30 of 49
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member

<strong>

Well, I don't blame Apple for the bad exchange rate. I blame them for charging almost 500 bucks more for the same computer.

Makes sense?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well roll me in shit and call me a moron.

Since your post began with "Calculating with current exchange rates..." I assumed that's what you meant.

My mistake. I'm so excited about this damn iMac I'm obviously not seeing straight.

And releasing the most expensive model first is pretty smart on Apple's part. If I was planning on buying low end though, I'd be mighty pissed!!

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 31 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by deestar:

<strong>I love it too but don't your think that a 100mhz bus speed and ATA/66 is pure crap.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Pessimist! Dont you know anything! The iMac is the digital hub that crunches enough numbers for a CONSUMER machine. My god, how outrageous a statement is that?! The iMac fulfills the digital hub from Apple, the industry will be playing catchup for quite some time.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    mediamanmediaman Posts: 169member
    [quote]Originally posted by the Belgian waffle:

<strong>

Hey that's a steal LOL Have you seen the price in Belgium? It's even more expensive. ------------------------ my heart stopped pounding</strong><hr></blockquote>

What's with all this DM crap?

Surely it should all be in Euro's in all EuroLand?

Or was Apple too busy to notice one of the most important things to happen over the holiday?

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Mediaman ]</p>
  • Reply 33 of 49
    I love it, I just love it.

However the option for a GF3 and ata 100 would be cool. The front side bus wouldnt hurt.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    If they made it black, I'd buy one-the low end though. Since I have to wait till March, I will probably buy the low end tower when they inevitably drop the price to a more earthly $1299. Then I'll buy a black NEC monitor to go with it...................
  • Reply 35 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by Mediaman:

<strong>What's with all this DM crap?

Surely it should all be in Euro's in all EuroLand?]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sure! And the Apple prices are in Euros, too. 't was me who converted it to DM (call it nostalgia or something...)
  • Reply 36 of 49

<strong>

Well, I don't blame Apple for the bad exchange rate. I blame them for charging almost 500 bucks more for the same computer.

Makes sense?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Um, you do realize that the German total already includes MwSt., whereas in the US Apple store, all prices are given without taxes?

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 37 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by iChmul:

<strong>Topic: I Absolutely Love the New iMac

/agree

and I believe that the 133 Mhz is only a jumper setting away...wait 4 months, iMac will become cheaper and way more powerful... </strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't expect too much of a boost here.

Even DDR (which is like going from 133MHz to 266MHz) doesn't give you any really impressive results, and going from 100MHz to 133MHz is a much smaller change.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 38 of 49
    [quote]Originally posted by The Toolboi:

<strong>I love it, I just love it.

However the option for a GF3 and ata 100 would be cool. The front side bus wouldnt hurt.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What's it with ATA100?

I mean, you can't even stick a second hard disk in the iMac, and single IDE drives only barely max out ATA33 nowadays...

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 39 of 49
    /\ldie/\ldie Posts: 70member
    I have a few questions...

- What is ATA66/ATA100 and how does this effect speed?

- What speed is the new iMac's HD? 5400 rpm? or 7200?

- IS there a fan in there?

Overall I think the iMac is a hit and will sell like hotcakes.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>Unfortunately, Apple is always one or two steps behind the curve.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ROTFLMAO!!!!

I love it! That's the most hilarious thing I've read on these forums in at least a week.

Alright, alright. I know what you meant. You're clearly talking about pure numbers. We all know Apple leads the rest of the industry for, um... well, everything else related to personal computers. It just struck me as totally funny at first reading.