Apple's most failed product?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm thinking Keynote. You?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    I'm thinking Cube, at least of the more recent hardware/software-products.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    The "next generation OS" in its various incarnations, Pink, Copland, Gershwin etc.

OK since those never made it to become an actual product: the Lisa. Nearly killed the whole company.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Umm, no? Sure, Keynote isn't as widely adopted as it should be, but it is certainly not failed. I just bought a copy. It blows PowerPoint out of the water. I think Apple is waiting to hype it with Document (or some other Word replacement).
  • Reply 4 of 66
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Uh, Lisa, anyone?
  • Reply 5 of 66
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    The digital camera, without a doubt. So failed I don't even know its name.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Macintosh IIFX

What was it worth... $11,000??
  • Reply 7 of 66
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

uh....what reason do you have to say that?

I use it, and it rocks.

Quote:

the digital cameras were great. big in education. i had 2 of em. but it made no sense for apple to continue making them.

i'd have to say the Lisa.

and gasp....the Macintosh.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by erbium

Macintosh IIFX

Uhm, nope

The IIfx was the most powerful personal graphics workstation of its time. It ran rings around anything als available at the time. Only with the Quadra 840AV and the 9600 had Apple similar powerful machines. Oh, and the G5 of course
  • Reply 9 of 66
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i gotta admit, placebo. i have no idea why you would nominate keynote. heck, it hasn't even been available that long, so it's pretty difficult to judeg success versus failure. i DO think apple needs to offer an updated apple office suite to hook into keynote better. right now, you have to do a lot of original input within keynote itself, rather than being able to import/export easily.

biggest failure is tough: opendoc certainly had a hell of a lot of r&d that evaporated on, what, three products? the newton series is seen as a trend-setter, but both the firt and last newtons can be considered enormous flops for completely different reasons (terrible handwriting recoginition on the first messagepad, as spoofed ont he simpsons, and enormous size and cost for the last newton). the cube is an easy target, due to its prominence recently, but for my money, the 20th anniversary mac was a terribly overpriced computer for its time, regardless of form factor (eight-to-ten grand for a 603e based computer?!?!).

those are just off the top o' me head, mate.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    The 20th Anniversary's price was partly due to the high quality speakers. But I never knew anybody who had one, so I can't really say it was successful.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Newton! (KIDDING) Seriously...as cool as it was...the Cube. Wrong price at the wrong time.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    20th Anniversary Mac, Cube

Definitely not Keynote, I use that every week at least...
  • Reply 13 of 66
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Here are some:

The Apple ///: Steve Jobs insisted that it not have a fan. As a result, it overheated constantly, causing the motherboard to warp and unseat the ROM chips. It was suggested that users lift the machine off their desk and drop it to reseat the ROM. The problems were so widespread that Apple offered to replace any Apple /// with a brand new unit, no questions asked. Even then, new units had countless problems and it was first dropped in price and then discontinued.

The IIvx: First CD-ROM Mac. Designed to replace the 25 MHz IIci with its 32 MHz processor. Failed miserably, because it was slower than the IIci and more on par with the 16 MHz IIcx. Also, only a few months after being released, it was replaced with the infinitely better Centris 650, so IIvx buyers were pretty pissed. The Centris 650 was about four times faster than the IIvx.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Quote:

Originally posted by erbium

Macintosh IIFX

Interesting.. I saw someone was selling the Macintosh IIfx for $40 on the paper last week...

Keynote is really good.. I used it for my PowerPoint class assignment.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

The Quicktake! I have one, but it is broken. I don't know why I'm keeping it though. hah
  • Reply 16 of 66
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    eWorld
  • Reply 17 of 66
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Maybe we should add Pippin to the list. Apple's expensive video game system.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    Um. . . the eBook.

I don't think anyone bought it.

BUT!

It was the first tanslucent plastic computer there was, and the overall shape of it was very much echoed in earlier iMac and iBook designs.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    what is.. err..was the Lisa?
  • Reply 20 of 66
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wireless

what is.. err..was the Lisa?

This

"Named for one of its designer's daughters, the Lisa was supposed to be the Next Big Thing. It was the first personal computer to use a Graphical User Interface. Aimed mainly at large businesses, Apple said the Lisa would increase productivity by making computers easier to work with. The Lisa had a Motorola 68000 Processor running at 5 Mhz, 1 MB of RAM two 5.25" 871k floppy drives, an external 5 MB hard drive, and a built in 12" 720 x 360 monochrome monitor. At $9,995 it was a plunge few businesses were willing to take. When the Macintosh came out in 1984 for significantly less money, it eroded the Lisa's credibility further. Realizing this, Apple released the Lisa 2 at the same time as the Mac. The Lisa 2 cost half as much as the original, replaced the two 5.25" drives with a single 400k 3.5" drive, and offered configurations with up to 2 MB of RAM, and a 10 MB hard drive. In January 1985, the Lisa 2/10 was renamed the Macintosh XL, and outfitted with MacWorks, an emulator that allowed the Lisa to run the Mac OS. The XL was discontinued later that year."