Apple's most failed product?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Wasn't the PB100 one of the most revolutionary laptops ever made?

As for the PB5300, having owned one I didn't find anything wrong with them.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

was i the only one who, when steve was talking about giving allowance checks vai the iTMS announcement, wanted him to say 'let's say i have a daughter named "Lisa." '

SOS originally stood for Sarah's OS.

Man iLike this thread! And rok's sig!
  • Reply 63 of 66
    IMO, the Mac Portable was a failure. Way too big and expensive. When the Powerbooks debuted, with their built in trackballs, they were revolutionary.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

SOS originally stood for Sarah's OS.

Man iLike this thread! And rok's sig!

Officially, the acronym meant "Sophisticated Operating System," or AppleSOS ("applesauce") for short. But after the utter failure of the Apple ///, it was thought of as a distress call.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

That's because Apple let the Mac OS stagnate while they put so much wasted energy into Copland. System 7 was around for a very ver long time, while MS rolled out Win95. Apple was lucky to settle for Mac OS 8 in time for Windows 98. The impotence of Apple in the mid-1990's is amazing, moreso considering that they're around despite it.

This thread inspired me to look into the history of the Mac OS and, in particular, Mac OS X, a bit more. I knew the broad lines, but not the details. It sure was a long torturous road from the earliest Apple origins of the "Lisa" interface to OS X:

- The abandoning of Lisa and the ascendance of the Mac OS

- The development of NeXTSTEP OS by Jobs outside of Apple and the various ins and outs of NeXT over the years.

- Apple?s realization that it needed a new OS in the early 1990s and its failed attempts to develop one. This is really the part that I knew little or nothing about and it made for interesting - if a little bit sad - reading. In particular, I knew nothing at all of the ?Star Trek? project in which they tried to port the Mac OS onto Intel hardware. Then the wasted money and, above all, the wasted time of the Copland project.

- Meanwhile Apple users had to continue to put up with the Mac OS which continued to develop, but was becoming quite long in the tooth.

- Then the long road to OS X: BeOS, injection of NeXT, the delays with Rhapsody, and the final drive to OS X.

I am sure most of the AI people here know the details better than I do, but for those who don?t, it makes for interesting reading. (Here is one of the links that I looked at:Part 1, Part 2)

And now knowing more of the story, I stick by my nomination of the Mac OS during the 90s - and in particular Apple?s OS development projects during the 90s - as being among Apple?s big failures. On the other hand, I hated, hated, hated all the Windows versions of the 90s, so I should not be too critical of Apple. It is just that there seemed to be a lot of missed opportunities at Apple to really leap ahead during that period.