Apple's most failed product?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Maybe we should add Pippin to the list. Apple's expensive video game system.

This was real? I never knew that!
  • Reply 22 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Um. . . the eBook.

eMate, man!
  • Reply 23 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Hell, I still have a MacWarehouse catalog at home with the Pippin on a two page spread. The hype was just silly.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Actually, I wasn't sure if it was real or not when I posted earlier. But, here it is...

http://www.macgeek.org/museum/pippin/

A quick google search turned that up. Lots of pictures!
  • Reply 25 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

This

"Named for one of its designer's daughters, the Lisa was supposed to be the Next Big Thing. It was the first personal computer to use a Graphical User Interface. Aimed mainly at large businesses, Apple said the Lisa would increase productivity by making computers easier to work with. The Lisa had a Motorola 68000 Processor running at 5 Mhz, 1 MB of RAM two 5.25" 871k floppy drives, an external 5 MB hard drive, and a built in 12" 720 x 360 monochrome monitor. At $9,995 it was a plunge few businesses were willing to take. When the Macintosh came out in 1984 for significantly less money, it eroded the Lisa's credibility further. Realizing this, Apple released the Lisa 2 at the same time as the Mac. The Lisa 2 cost half as much as the original, replaced the two 5.25" drives with a single 400k 3.5" drive, and offered configurations with up to 2 MB of RAM, and a 10 MB hard drive. In January 1985, the Lisa 2/10 was renamed the Macintosh XL, and outfitted with MacWorks, an emulator that allowed the Lisa to run the Mac OS. The XL was discontinued later that year."

I am pretty sure that it was Steve's daughter, the one he denied was his... Lisa. Or at-least thats how it was in that movie.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Actually, I wasn't sure if it was real or not when I posted earlier. But, here it is...

http://www.macgeek.org/museum/pippin/

A quick google search turned that up. Lots of pictures!

Wow, that looks a lot like my GameCube.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

I am pretty sure that it was Steve's daughter, the one he denied was his... Lisa. Or at-least thats how it was in that movie.

was i the only one who, when steve was talking about giving allowance checks vai the iTMS announcement, wanted him to say 'let's say i have a daughter named "Lisa." '

• Reply 28 of 66
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Uh, Lisa, anyone?

First Apple computer that I ever touched - at work at a summer student job - was a Lisa. I don't know enough about Mac history to know why it failed [but someone has filled that in a bit up above, I see now], but I did prefer it at the time to the primitive PCs that were also kicking around the office.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

was i the only one who, when steve was talking about giving allowance checks vai the iTMS announcement, wanted him to say 'let's say i have a daughter named "Lisa." '

That would be crazy
  • Reply 30 of 66
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

First Apple computer that I ever touched - at work at a summer student job - was a Lisa. I don't know enough about Mac history to know why it failed [but someone has filled that in a bit up above, I see now], but I did prefer it at the time to the primitive PCs that were also kicking around the office.

The short answer: The Lisa was way too expensive, and they marketed them as business machines which meant going against IBM at the time. There were lot of other issues: development costs, the Apple III, the Mac, IBM clones, proprietary and expensive components, and the project was nearly run aground by Jobs before he was moved on to the Mac project in order to salvage the Lisa (the Mac was basically R&D at that point, not expected to be a real product). That's just to name a few.

Jobs did learn to love a lot of the ideas and features the Lisa provided, and they showed up in NeXT and later in OS X when Apple left some of the Lisa's good ideas out to dry (they did bring in a lot of other stuff from the Lisa too). Stuff like sheets, the Dock, services, column view, the more unix-like guts, etc.

here are some screenshots from an old article about the Lisa's GUI.

Sorry to digress?
  • Reply 31 of 66
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

eWorld

or? AOL!
  • Reply 32 of 66
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Pippin...seems like a myth.

Were any games made for it?
  • Reply 33 of 66
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Yeah, eWorld is possibly the most popular thing they ever did. Unfortunately it's not theirs any more.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ringo

Yeah, eWorld is possibly the most popular thing they ever did. Unfortunately it's not theirs any more.

eWorld was based on AOL 2.5. It never was 100% Apple's... It had only about 100,000 subscribers before it was canned...
  • Reply 35 of 66
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

here are some screenshots from an old article about the Lisa's GUI.

Man that brings back memories. ::Sniff:: ::::sniff::::: Was it that long ago already?! Wah!
  • Reply 36 of 66
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by penseive

Wow, that looks a lot like my GameCube.

That looks more like an N64 than a GameCube.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    HELLO!!!!

The apple puck mouse!

Even Steve said it was a bad idea.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    The Apple SytleWriter printers. Gosh, those things were so terrible.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    during the iMac keynote, Steve said the mouse was really cool...
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Man 020581

The Apple SytleWriter printers. Gosh, those things were so terrible.

I have one of those, never had a problem with them though