So who likes panther???

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Iv got a FRESH install of panther, im loving it. Expose is nice to put as middle button on my mouse. I like the feature. The F9,10,11 keys get in way on my powerbook cause there for backlite, but its all good. Ill just use middle button on mouse. I love the changes in it. All i can say, is after making the mac switch last week, and now panther, what more can i ask for. LoL

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    Is this a multiple choice question?
  • Reply 2 of 57
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Yep!

Pretty sweet! I love the tweaked interface and how everything is so smooth. I've not had a good chance to push it yet, but everything seems a lot more SnappierTM. Lots of nice little touches, that add up. I also love Exposé, and the new Finder is great. It's going to take some time to remember not to do things the old (and complicated) way.

Of course, there are a couple of things that aren't so great - like the fact that you still can't adjust the column widths in the Save/Open dialog boxes (so long file name get chopped in the middle), and Font Book seems to be a bit of a dog.

All in all, a solid release, and worth every penny!

• Reply 3 of 57
    I think i should of made this a poll, but lets just get everyones opinions, i dont think you really need a poll for this, cause people will have reasons for liking or hating.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    So who doesn't like Panther?
  • Reply 5 of 57
    I like it very much mostly for Expose and fast user switching. I can't say that I've seen much difference in speed on my 15" 1.25 GHz PowerBook.

I checked out Preview, but it has one drawback from Acrobat. In Acrobat I can copy text and paste it in word. This doesn't work in Preview, I just get a bunch of funny "Y's." I'm not sure what the text selection tool is good for in preview if you can't do anything after copying the text??

Actually, come to think of it I also very much like the new finder layout.

Overall, I'm happy, but a noticable speed improvement would have been nice. I still have to install it at home on my dual G5. Lets see if it feels any different there. Then again that computer is so responsive anyway, there is not much room left for improvement when it comes to system performance. Now if some certain software companies would put some effort into their code (Microsoft, Adobe, EndNote) that what help things along.
  • Reply 6 of 57

NOW AVAILABLE
  • Reply 7 of 57
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

I like the box. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best looking one yet (out of ALL I've seen starting from OS 7.something)
  • Reply 8 of 57
    So who likes me?
  • Reply 9 of 57
    Panther seems to be much better than Jag, from my initial usage. Without a doubt the best feature of the whole thing is Expose. You have to use it to see just how great it is. Words can't do it justice. But here are some other observations...

1. Fonts like Helvetica and the system font seem to be narrower than before. I don't know if this is correct or not. I don't know yet whether I'm annoyed by it.

2. New sidebar is nifty; awkward at first because I look at it quickly and think I'm in iTunes. I don't know whether this is a drawback in user interface design, or not.

3. There seems to be a lot of beach ball activity on the network pane of the Finder. I suppose it's because I'm rummaging though a hard drive of another computer over Airport. I wish this type of activity was better mapped.

4. The Activity Monitor app is great.

5. The System Preferences app closes automatically when you click the close window widget. This is new behavior from Jaguar.

6. FontBook is super -- I added fonts to my system over the network from my other computer through this application.

7. Pages in Safari seem to load a smidgen quicker than before. It doesn't still support the website cross fading images.

8. Applications don't seem to launch any faster than before, although when you double click on them, they perform this animation of the icon flying at you.

9. Selecting more than one file and moving it must have changed a little bit. I cannot describe it. When I was trying to move about 200 files I backed up on a DVD, I somehow clicked and opened them all -- at once -- from just about every program imaginable all at once (Text Edit, Photoshop, Word, Excel, Quicktime movies, photos, etc). I couldn't stop it! But through all that I never crashed or saw one beach ball appear. As a matter of fact, since the thing was reading off a DVD (slower) ...I just clicked on Safari in my dock and surfed the net while it finished opening all the files. Once it was done, I just quit all the apps and closed the files and was able to move them where I wanted.

10. Lastly, the CDs Apple sent me were upgrade disks (Mac OS Up-to-date Program). I read this means you have to have an install of 10.2 on the drive before you can upgrade to 10.3. I don't know whether this is the case, however, I was able to do an erase and install, which is what I did, so I'm working from a fresh installation.

That's about it for now...DH
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Makes Jaguar seem clunky and ugly...I love Panther...BRING ON 10.4!!!
  • Reply 11 of 57
    I went to my local Applestore opening (St. Louis, West County Mall Missouri) and tried it out on a 1ghz eMac, and it gives me the impression that finally, just finally, OSX seems fast. Everthing was running without a HITCH. Great stuff. Also, when I saw the box, I felt that it is something that will start to appeal more to people... I think they are slowly moving away from the "happy fruity" Apple we know from the older iMacs and iBooks and even Towers to a much more refined look. (Just like is found/reflected on the Panther box) All in all, I cannot wait to get it, but am holding off because I am thinking about buying a new machine....
  • Reply 12 of 57
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    well, i went to my local apple reseller (Apple Store at Tysons is closed...)

I got it, installed it

Around the middle of disc 2 it was there were errors, so it just sent me to registration screen and all that (i did a clean install)... Everything is fine now, whatever it could not install I don't notice.

Printing (to my hp) is great, the whole Printing idea has been improved.

Exposé won't let me choose f14-16..why? those would be great because they are set of three that are away from the other keys on my keyboard...

the GUI is too gray for me, the menu bar at least, too grey, otherwise looks the same....

It feels faster, smoother...yet, resizing still sucks

whatever...I don't really notice it that much that bad...
  • Reply 13 of 57
    I want a background picture on the dock. Do I need to wait for 10.4 or will there be a haxie ..?
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Thankfully, desktop printers! What a great feature without click, click, and clicking to get into the printer to cancel a job. Bravo.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    anyone else having an issue with the mouse tracking settings not staying put? i put it on the fastest setting and as soon as i quit out of preferences it goes back to default.

[edit] oh, i found out it's conflicting with usb overdrive's mouse speed settings. [/edit]
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by killer2239

IExpose is nice to put as middle button on my mouse.

what kind of mouse do you have? I have a logitech MX700 and expose gives me 32 mouse buttons to choose from and none of them work except the right mouse button
  • Reply 17 of 57
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I think Panther is the version of OS X that will really give people to move away from Windows. They are really on a roll. With Longhorn years away I think they have a good chance of getting more to switch.

I got one of the guys at work to switch, not only did he switch, he did a major switch. He got a fully loaded dual 2ghz G5 and tonight he and I went to the Apple store at the Grove for the launch of Panther and he bought his copy of it. He also bought FCP4, DVDSP2 and others. He is planning on only using his PC for gaming. For everything else he is planning on using his G5.

Back on topic. I love Panther. Expose is probably one of the biggest UI concepts to actually be implemented in a long time. It is simply amazing. Things feel a loooot more refined in Panther. It feels more modern than anything else out there including any previous version of OS X. This is a sign of even more good things to come. As for my favorite things about Panther, here they are.

-I totally love the new Finder. Much smoother and faster to deal with. I'll give it a shot at work with a 1000frame image sequence and see if it chokes.

-Mail is sooo much nicer. Noticabely faster.

-Activity Monitor...lovin' it.

Actually...come to thing of it there is way too much to like about from what I can tell.

GREAT WORK APPLE!!
  • Reply 18 of 57
    resres Posts: 711member
    I just installed it on my 800MHz Powerbook and I'm loving it so far.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    LOVE PANTHER!!

It is so much faster on my iMac 800. Here's a few tests I did last night: . The first number is the application launch time in 10.2.8, and the second, Panther.

Eudora Pro 5,3

iCal 7,6

Iphoto 10,2

Mail 4,2

Excel 4,2

Mozilla 5,5

Safari 4,2

TextEdit 4,2

Startup Time: 1:15, :40 !!

Very very impressed. I love Exposé so much I could give it a big hug.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

what kind of mouse do you have? I have a logitech MX700 and expose gives me 32 mouse buttons to choose from and none of them work except the right mouse button

I have the Microsoft Intelli Mouse. Like the first kind they made ya know. It is the wired mouse. Im lookin at getting bluetooth mouse soon. I can just select middle buttom or right click. But it works for me just fine.