So who likes panther???

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 570member
    right - I was thrown by the big color highlight bar that appears as soon as you click. I still miss being able to deselect on white space if the window is full. And you can't right-click to create a new folder now if the window's full either...
  • Reply 42 of 57
    For those of you who don't like the brushed metal finder windows, just click the upper right collapse menu to get rid of the brushed metal. After you close that window then open it again, you'll see the number of items and free space info at the top.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    That comes with losing the toolbar and sidebar, though, which is the bad part. I'm thinking that the toolbar button should only get rid of the uh..toolbar. The sidebar should have it's own button that slides it away.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

A few things I'm not cool with -

I used to click on white space in a finder window in list view to deselect a file. Now clicking anywhere on the same horizontal level as a file selects it, which is annoying.

Also it's no longer possible to select mulitple files in list view by clicking and dragging a selection box over them.. I'm sure this was possible in Jaguar, or am I confused..?

I find the highlighted file title is too bold when selected.

There's just too much brushed metal taking over my desktop. The best directory improvement is the 'Save as' window from an app. I rather then entire Finder was more like this with less embellishment. Finally it's possible to view by date etc, but it still always seems to default to 'by name', and if you then click on 'by date' it lists the OLDEST first which is plain DUMB - does anyone know otherwise?

Oh, and I don't like the way labelled files look in list view, it's very distracting and plain ugly.

if you dont liek brushed metal, there isprogram taht will change your safari to aqua at least.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Well, I tried Panther at KRC in Nottingham on Saturday on a Powerbook 12 incher. And a PowerMac 1.6 G5. Didn't get chance for a thorough play because my wife was beside me...standing in bemusement at her hubby-man playing with an 'os'.

On the Powerbook, Panther appeared very elegant, composed and fluid. Responsive and quick (but without Mac OS 9's 'hyper-kinetic-faster-than-you-can-respondness').

The whole visual aspect from ichat, iTunes and free apps. Very polished. Very smooth. The 'new' buttons. More profressionally designed.

Generally seems to sum it up. A more professional and refined release with some great features. I'm a 'PC user' (f'nah...) who's dying to get back to the Mac. I've been using my wife's iBook (G3 600mhz) none stop for over a month and the 'SoBig' Athlon is still down and out at 1.6 gig with a gig of ram. XP? BLURGH!

'X' seems to have grown up. It's all so much more polished than Jaguar. Making Jaguar seem very rough round the edges in fact.

It seemed exciting. Mac OS 'X' seems to REALLY have come of age. And it ready for PC 'switcher' prime time. I think Apple can really go for Windows now.

Personally, I can't wait for Rev B G5 with Panther 10.3.1. That's when I'll be able to afford one!

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Panther is much smoother and snappier on my iMac, and Expose is probably the best feature I have used so far. Considering that I have to program alot for my college classes and I always have loads of c files/java files open while programming it's quite convenient to just hit the F10 button and pick the window I want fast.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    Here's another thing i like about exposé.

You know when you get new email and the red number appears in the dock icon?

Well when this happens now i hit the expose button then it zooms down all windows and i can ususally see the email address of the new email and if its something that can wait. i do.

neat.

also...

expose works VERYYYYYYYYY well on my dual apple 20" lcd. veryyyy nice....
  • Reply 48 of 57
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Panther sucks. I backed up a bunch of folders with custom icons before doing a clean install. Now, Panther can't see the icons. All I get are generic folders. They were nice icons too, and I forgot where I got them
  • Reply 49 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

Panther sucks. I backed up a bunch of folders with custom icons before doing a clean install. Now, Panther can't see the icons. All I get are generic folders. They were nice icons too, and I forgot where I got them

That's unfortunate, but I don't think that denotes automatic failure of Panther ^^
  • Reply 50 of 57
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

I have noticed some irregularities with icons as well.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Mail is much improved. I like the sounds it now makes when sending and and when you click on the get mail icon.

It now also seems to send the mail much faster.

Does anyone know if you can log out of all users at one time? I'm sure there could be some problems if you tried to log out of a user that had something open that needed to be saved.

I also like how easy it is to save window views in the finder. They seem to stick now. Most things I like the column view. Some things I like lists or icons. I can have it any way I like it now.

Panther is just more pleasant to use.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dewindj

That's unfortunate, but I don't think that denotes automatic failure of Panther ^^

Yeah, I guess it's okay otherwise.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    ... ehh ...

I was pretty excited to install it on my G4 Sawtooth (1GHz upgrade), and I've been testing it for a while. It's okay, but the excitement isn't there to cause me to upgrade my iBook or my wife's TiBook. Maybe when my iChatAV beta runs out, then I'll install it on the laptops.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    I'm absolutely loving it so far. Expose is of course awesome, but the other great things are:

1) on my Ti550, there has been a *major* increase in snappiness. It finally feels "right".

2) I'm liking the speed of the new Preview a lot, though its not perfect by any means. It will probably become my default PDF viewer.

3) FINALLY they have "print in reverse order" and "print odd/even pages" in the standard print dialog. For me that is a huge improvement. Small thing but it's going to make printing so much more pleasant.

Lots of other good stuff, but the above is *easily* enough to make it worth the $$$ to upgrade.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rbfoye

if you dont liek brushed metal, there isprogram taht will change your safari to aqua at least.

nad there is aprogram that lets you turn off brushed metal in teh Finder. gtoto unsanity.org. Seriously. Don't you guys have Safari spell checkers enabled? But anyway, unsanity.org does offer an alpha ver of Metallifizer.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I love Panther...for writing papers.

Overall, Panther is simply the best thing for productivity in a long time.

I usually work with the following applications when writing college papers: Microsoft Word, Safari, Preview, Mail, iChat AV, and the Finder. Just naming them alone elicits thoughts of windows on top of windows: a cluttered, cumbersome, and frustrating working environment.

But now, with Exposé, I can work faster and with greater organization. A finger on the trackpad moved towards the upper-left corner shows me all open windows at once. I can easily shift between my paper, a great online source, a downloaded pdf, an email memo or message from a professor, or other opened files related to a project. To open a file downloaded to the desktop, a finger on the trackpad towards the lower-right corner moves all open windows offscreen. (It also functions as a safe and neat psychotherapy tool for when you get so frustrated with your work that you just want to throw it all away. Well, with Exposé, now you can!)

I believe and can testify that Panther has the potential to improve everyone's productivity.

Even the individual applications in Panther are much improved from a getting-work-done standpoint. With Mail, I can organize messages by threads. It's a great, efficient way to organize a running dialogue about a topic or a paper with a professor or fellow student.

I can't say enough about Preview, an application that is the product of a tremendous increase in functionality. Searchable text and selectable text saves a lot of time that had been spent finding relevant information within a document and typing quotes. That is to say nothing about the speed of Preview. It is the fastest pdf viewer on any platform- something that is certainly advantageous to those who work with a lot of pdf documents.

Finally, the Finder, from a productivity standpoint, is a great new upgrade from its past incarnation. Say what you want about brushed metal, but the Finder seems smarter, more efficient, faster, and better organized. The Sidebar shows all your major directories such as your home folder, the applications folder, and maybe a recent project folder. I welcome the return of Labels as well. They are somewhat self-explanatory, but personally, it helps me to label final drafts of papers with longer file names than what is shown.

The best thing about Panther is that you can have the coolest operating system on the planet and still kick the pants off the next person drudging through a paper.

• Reply 57 of 57
    I didn't do a clean install of Panther... I installed it on a WWDC preview, which was installed over 10.2.6, which was upgraded from 10.2.4.

So imagine my surprise when I had no crashes, glitches, etc. Just a snappy system, snappier than WWDC, which was much snappier than 10.2.6 (for me).

Very fast. Preview is hella fast, windows being minimized/maximized is fast and jitter-free. Expose is nifty (I keep forgetting about it), fast user switching is brilliant, and general stability, for me, is flawless. Then again, WWDC preview was pretty good, and 10.2.6 was too.