Mac OS X Panther ONLY Hidden Features/Hacks/Hints/Tips/Tricks

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    While in TextEdit, say you are typing a big word that you don't know how to spell. Start a few letters and then hit opt - esc keys. It will list a bunch of words that may have the one you were going for.

not new to Panther, 10.3:

While in TextEdit, you realize your document is a little long. Go to the services menu and look for "summarize".

You then drag a size button and it will pair down your words by sentence or paragraph.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

And, no, you can't change from degree mode to radian mode.

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!! I need my radians!!
  • Reply 63 of 66
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spaztik

Does anyone know how to get this to work without freezing up the GUI? I really like the look of this hidden feature!

Code:

defaults write com.apple.dock wvous-olddesktop -bool false; killall Dock

Works fine for me, turn the floater off before using it, I don't have a problem with it at all.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by G in the S

I found the Special Characters... tool under the Edit menu to be a nice addition.

Kick down the "Font Variation" arrow at the bottom left and you can compare variations of the selected glyph in every font on your system simultaneously. (Which font has the coolest Q or most Art Deco A? check)

Way faster than scroll of "custom" preview in FontBook. Killer new feature.

Special Character Font Variation WINS!
  • Reply 65 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by GSpotter

Seems only to work in english. I tried typing Hau<option-esc> and hoped to find "Haus" (german for house) in the pop-up list. Instead I got a list starting with "Hauberk" and ending with "Hauteur's". The only german word I found in that list was "Hausfrau".

If you want the list to show German alternatives, then you need to change the spelling dictionary to German. I use the built-in German spelling dictionary alot (pesky umlauts...I'm always putting them where they don't belong!).

In Mail or TextEdit, because they are Cocoa apps, they use spelling services. Just ctrl-click in the message/document window, select spelling, change the dictionary to 'Deutsch'. This will also change the dictionary used to German when you use option-esc. (Also works in Safari!)
  • Reply 66 of 66
    I figured out what the problem in the (olddesktop true) trick.

Wherever you put that little translucent rectangle (the one that the windows minimize into) is exactly the area you can't click. Say you have it in the upper right hand corner for some reason... well, when you bring your windows back, you won't be able to double click the Hard Drive icon. You see what I'm saying?

I guess there's no fix for this. If there was, Apple probably would have uesd it. I wish they figured it out... I really like this tip.