New iBook 12" 800

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just got my new iBook 12" G4 800 yesterday. It came via UPS from MacMall and arrived yesterday afternoon.



I had a late meeting last night & did not get home until about 10:45PM. Of course, due to my anticipation & excitement, I had to open it up & "play" with it.



Immediately after unboxing the unit, I removed the battery, took the keyboard off, removed the 4 screws on the airport extreme plate, and installed a 512MB RAM chip from crucial (first removing the 128MB RAM that was in there). Then I replaced the cover & reinserted the 4 screws. Then I proceeded to install the airport extreme card. Once completed with that I replaced the keyboard & battery.



This whole process took about 10 minutes (unboxing, opening, installing, etc.).



1 observation, the keyboard is MUCH sturdier than my older ibooks (G3 700 combo unit). It has a full plate of aluminum under the keyboard which makes it very sturdy.



After that, I "fired" it up (after plugging in the power pak). Another observation, the powerpack has a NEW style AC plug. The AC plug from the wall to the powerbrick is a different style (round wire / 3 prong plug).



I will post more details later, but I "played" with it for about an hour.



It is very SNAPPY. I had a TiBook 800 that I just sold. It is definately quicker than the TiBook. This seems to be a direct result of Panther... but I have no way to compare as the TiBook was running Jaguar. I am VERY pleased with the speed.



It installs software fast, the internet surfing flies, and the machine has a very nice fit & finish.



Overall, I am very pleased, but like I said, I have only "played" for about an hour.



I will post more observations later, after I do my few hours of configuring, installing, updating, and etc.



Anyone that had their doubts about these new iBooks, shouldn't! Go buy one!
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 48
    Cool.



    I ordered mine BTO 4-5 days ago: 12" iBook, 640MB RAM, 60GB HD, Airport Extreme card and internal bluetooth...



    ..according to the shipping ref, it's just about to leave TAIPEI, TP, TW. Any idea on how long it generally takes to ship to the UK?



    Also, does anyone know of sleek, minimalist sleeves to protect the wonderful iBook? The only item to fit this bill so far (that I have come across) is here: http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=22



    ribot.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Try the screen outside - the old one was said to be very dim.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    A good sleevecase to try is the waterfield bags, they come in sizes specific to the ibook. I had one for my 600 ibook, fit like a glove and super slim, yet protective. A bit on the pricey side $38 for the base model. Goto www.sfbags.com
  • Reply 4 of 48
    I ordered a new iBook G4. It shipped Friday night PST from Tiwan. The FedEx tracking says it was received at the ramp (after cutoff time), but now it's sunday and it still says the same thing. I payed $15 for the 2day shipping. So, has my iBook just been sitting there at the fedex ramp since Friday night? Or has it been on it's way and the FedEx tracking results just not updated on the weekends??? Anyone know how this works?



    Arrived at FedEx Ramp TA YUAN HSIANG TW 11/01/2003 20:12

    Left FedEx Origin Location TAOYUAN CITY TW 11/01/2003 17:53

    Pickup status TAOYUAN CITY TW 11/01/2003 17:26 Package received after FedEx cutoff time
  • Reply 5 of 48
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Macvault



    Arrived at FedEx Ramp TA YUAN HSIANG TW 11/01/2003 20:12

    Left FedEx Origin Location TAOYUAN CITY TW 11/01/2003 17:53

    Pickup status TAOYUAN CITY TW 11/01/2003 17:26 Package received after FedEx cutoff time




    Well, 2 days = 2 business days from shipment time, so I'd guess Tuesday is the estimated delivery date by Fedex. Your package was received after the Fedex cutoff on Saturday, so it's probably stuck in Taoyuan City I think until tonight, when it will resume it's movement. It shouldn't take too long afterwards.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    I have to say this is one well put together piece of equipment. Runs cool, great battery life, very fast(faster than my G3 500 iBook). In short, a very satisfied customer here
  • Reply 7 of 48
    RageX: As I mentioned, I just ordered a new iBook G4. Can you tell me if it wakes up everytime after it's been sleeping? A few months ago I had one of the previous iBook models and it would very often not wake up from sleep, or at least fail to turn on the screen/backlight, hence a need to force-restart. I hope Apple adressed this in the new G4 iBook.



    ?????
  • Reply 8 of 48
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    If your Mac doesn't wake up when you open the lid, try pressing the power button.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Pressing the power button does not help. I do notice the little glowing white sleep indicator lite that pulses by the lid button goes when I open the lid or hit a key, but the screen does nothing. So, it seems like the computer wakes up but not the display or backlight.



    I've never had this problem on my 12" Powerbook 867Mhz machine.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    I have been using this new ibook 800 for a few days... it runs very cool.. it is cooler than my old ibook 700 or my tiBook 800...



    also -- it doesn't have any issues with stability (not crashed yet), and it always wakes up from sleep.. have only rebooted 1 time after installing all my apps & such.



    overall, it is AWESOME!
  • Reply 11 of 48
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Macvault- Both my 800 and 500mhz iBook wakes up from sleep with no problems.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Macvault

    I ordered a new iBook G4. It shipped Friday night PST from Tiwan. The FedEx tracking says it was received at the ramp (after cutoff time), but now it's sunday and it still says the same thing. I payed $15 for the 2day shipping. So, has my iBook just been sitting there at the fedex ramp since Friday night? Or has it been on it's way and the FedEx tracking results just not updated on the weekends??? Anyone know how this works?



    Arrived at FedEx Ramp TA YUAN HSIANG TW 11/01/2003 20:12

    Left FedEx Origin Location TAOYUAN CITY TW 11/01/2003 17:53

    Pickup status TAOYUAN CITY TW 11/01/2003 17:26 Package received after FedEx cutoff time




    I'm in the same boat as you brother. I ordered the 14" and mine was supposed to be coming in on the 4th also. I called FedEx because the shipping status on it hasn't changed in two days. After being transferred 3x's the woman in special deliveries said it just left Taiwan and if it gets to the US and clears customs I should have it tomorrow but she said Wednesday was more realistic!! I'm geeking for my iBook b/c it's my FIRST Mac.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    I'm about to place an order for a BTO 12" to replace my Ti 867.



    I really need AE, so figured I'd change and go for an AE machine... For the price, the iBook G4 is hard to beat...



    For the same money I got for the Ti, I am getting:



    iBook G4 800,

    40 Gig HD,

    B/T,

    640MB RAM.



    Airport Extreme card,

    Airport Extreme Basestation.



    Finalising the deal in the Powerbook today, so should be able to place the order tomorrow morning!
  • Reply 14 of 48
    zozo Posts: 3,115member
    dont get ram from Apple... save money. go to crucial.com
  • Reply 15 of 48
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    I'm here typing this from my locacl mac store on the new 800 12in iBook. THe design seems overall more solid to me, and the keyboard is definately more sturdy and strong. The application load blazingly fast but I've gotta run, other customers are swarming and probably wondering what im doing.



    Maciek
  • Reply 16 of 48
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    I hear you guys:



    Order Date: 30/10/2003



    Then did nothing for a few days until it suddenly said it shipped (two 12" iBooks).



    Now it's been hanging around in noodle-land for days, aparently, but I really don't trust that ordering system. Last update was like 2 days ago and updated for something that happened on the 31 aparently, which, according to the apple order state page, is impossible, since the order was still being reviewed then. I don't know, but I think they have about a 5 day lag in that ordering system.



    Activity\t Location\t Date / Time (GMT)

    Cleared Customs\t TAIPEI, TP, TW\t 31 Oct 2003 06:00

    Shipment Picked Up\t TAIPEI, TP, TW\t 31 Oct 2003 13:18



    I'm starting to think I'm not going to see this thing before the end of next week. (which is pissing me off big time)
  • Reply 17 of 48
    ribotribot Posts: 14member
    Shipment Picked Up\t TAIPEI, TP, TW\t 30 Oct 2003 14:25

    Cleared Customs\t TAIPEI, TP, TW\t 31 Oct 2003 06:00

    Depart Terminal\t TAIPEI, TP, TW\t 02 Nov 2003 08:30

    Arrive Terminal\t LUXEMBOURG, LU, LU\t 05 Nov 2003 10:06



    So maybe a few more days until I get it at my delivery address in the UK.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:

    Originally posted by G-News

    I hear you guys:



    Order Date: 30/10/2003



    Then did nothing for a few days until it suddenly said it shipped (two 12" iBooks).



    Now it's been hanging around in noodle-land for days, aparently, but I really don't trust that ordering system. Last update was like 2 days ago and updated for something that happened on the 31 aparently, which, according to the apple order state page, is impossible, since the order was still being reviewed then. I don't know, but I think they have about a 5 day lag in that ordering system.



    Activity\t Location\t Date / Time (GMT)

    Cleared Customs\t TAIPEI, TP, TW\t 31 Oct 2003 06:00

    Shipment Picked Up\t TAIPEI, TP, TW\t 31 Oct 2003 13:18



    I'm starting to think I'm not going to see this thing before the end of next week. (which is pissing me off big time)




    I just checked the status of my order and it finally cleared customs in Indianapolis last night and arrived in Philly this morning. I called FedEx, who really sucks by the way, and they said it MIGHT be delivered today but they didn't know. I asked if I could pick it up at their distribution center and they said Apple doesn't allow that. Here's hoping today is the day!!!
  • Reply 19 of 48
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Quote:

    Shipment Picked Up TAIPEI, TP, TW 30 Oct 2003 14:25

    Cleared Customs TAIPEI, TP, TW 31 Oct 2003 06:00

    Depart Terminal TAIPEI, TP, TW 02 Nov 2003 08:30

    Arrive Terminal LUXEMBOURG, LU, LU 05 Nov 2003 10:06



    if the clearing of the customs is any indication, I'd expect my and your ibook to be in the same shipment, which leaves me wondering why my page hasn't updated yet.

    I think this logistics software is running on windows 95.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    ribotribot Posts: 14member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by G-News

    if the clearing of the customs is any indication, I'd expect my and your ibook to be in the same shipment, which leaves me wondering why my page hasn't updated yet.

    I think this logistics software is running on windows 95.




    G-News: A quick question: What company are down as your package transporters? My order indicates the following: (who I've never heard of) KUEHNE & NAGEL HIGH TECH LOGISTICS.
Sign In or Register to comment.