New iBook 12" 800

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    mine too, of which I've never heard either.

And depending on how long it takes, I hope I'm never going to hear from them again too!

There are certain things that seem strange about the times listed, both in my and in your order. Makes me think the software is buggy:

Depart Terminal TAIPEI, TP, TW 02 Nov 2003 08:30

Arrive Terminal LUXEMBOURG, LU, LU 05 Nov 2003 10:06

That's more than 3 days there. That's too fast for a ship and far too slow for a plane, unless it's a propeller machine dating back to world war one. Seems weird, must include more than just the flight then.

Cleared Customs\t TAIPEI, TP, TW\t 31 Oct 2003 06:00

Shipment Picked Up\t TAIPEI, TP, TW\t 31 Oct 2003 13:18

Note that the shipment picket up message came before the cleared customs message, yet that would require a timetravel backwards, should I believe these numbers. Thus these times can't be accurate. needless to say the cleared customs update happened on November 2, not on Oct 31, as you'd expect. Weird, weird.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    At least you guys can 'track' your orders..... we here in NZ don't have any choice but to wait until the only NZ supplier decides to bring any into the country....

That being said, my iBook G4 800 arrived today! YAY! (i'm told there are only 44 in the entire country at the moment!!)

Just standard config - G4 800/30Gb/256RAM.

Apple here is very expensive so no airport/bluetooth/etc/etc. Panther seems very snappy, but i have point of reference because this is my first computer.

J
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Well. I'd rather not be able to track it, and have it, than being able to track it, see that the tracking doesn't work properly, and NOT have it....

Update: (amazing how things can be delayed)

It was not the same shipments, althoug it probably should have been. At least my iBook now knows what an Airport looks like, because it had almost a week to explore one, before finally being shipped. God knows wtf they're doing down there.

Depart Terminal\t TAIPEI, TP, TW\t 04 Nov 2003 18:30

Arrive Terminal\t LUXEMBOURG, LU, LU\t 06 Nov 2003 09:08

And again, it took 36+ hours for the plane to go from Taipei to Luxembourg. I'm glad I don't have to be a pilot for one of these things...
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Update for G-News: Finally cleared customs in the Netherlands and hopefully now on a ship to dover! Will I get it by Monday/tuesday? who knows.

Depart Terminal\t LUXEMBOURG, LU, LU\t 05 Nov 2003 16:08

Cleared Customs\t DUIVEN, GE, NL\t 07 Nov 2003 14:15

Anyone know if packages move over the weekend? I'm so eager to get this.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    I don't think packages move over the weekend. I actually think they hardly move during the week...

Mine has departed Luxembourg yesterday evening, I hope they fly it directly to Zürich and do the customs there, and not another 5 times between LU and CH.

I expect it around November 17.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    ribotribot Posts: 14member
    Looks like my package was moving over the weekend

Package transporter has now changed to TNT..and it's only 30 miles away. wohoo.. By this time tomorrow, I cant picture myself working away utilising free wireless connections in my town (whilst having a few coffees).

Next purchase: an iSight...need to code up some arty java video feeds filters.

G-News: Hope you get your package soon too (or maybe you have already?)
  • Reply 27 of 48
    The last thing I've heard of my order was it leaving Terminal Luxembourg on November 6th.

Seems like my order likes to take 4 day breaks between moves, so I think I'm still quite on track for my November 17 delivery date. (which I originally made up jokingly)

That shipment handling has to be one of the worst available. That's probably why it's "free".
  • Reply 28 of 48
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    A bit off topic

Got a close-out deal on the G3 based iBook from the local "drug" store (London Drugs)

Combo drive, 900MHz G3......etc

It was marked $1149 CDN but the manager wanted to get rid of it as quickly as possible......he cut the price by 20%! Therefore the final price is $920 CDN ($665 US)

So......
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Not bad, check out the Apple hot deals page first though.

I contacted someone at Kuehne&Nagel to ask what's going on and he's going to call me tomorrow...
  • Reply 30 of 48
    These guys really do suck. Either they are not updating their tracking information or they are really slow. My 12" ibook departed Taiwan on the 5th, but has still not arrived yet! What the hell is it doing? Hitch hiking its way to London?!?

The eternal wait continues for my shiny new ibook...
  • Reply 31 of 48
    mine departed nov 4th, so be prepared for another weeks wait
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by G-News

Not bad, check out the Apple hot deals page first though.

I contacted someone at Kuehne&Nagel to ask what's going on and he's going to call me tomorrow...

Let me know what they say. If it speeds things up I have no problem in phoning and bitching...
  • Reply 33 of 48
    I never knew Luxembourg was THAT big.

I mean I can drive to that country in less than 2 days, yet they need more than 4 days to even leave the Airport!

I'm amazed!

Activity\t Location\t Date / Time (GMT)

Depart Terminal\t TAIPEI, TP, TW\t 04 Nov 2003 18:30

Arrive Terminal\t LUXEMBOURG, LU, LU\t 06 Nov 2003 09:08

Depart Terminal\t LUXEMBOURG, LU, LU\t 06 Nov 2003 18:34

Shipment Picked Up\t EINDHOVEN, NB, NL\t 10 Nov 2003 19:07
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Well, I travelled all the way back home (200 miles), to pick up my recently delivered iBook. Well, what can I say, impressed would be a major understatement!

Bluetooth worked instantly with my nokia 3650 (whereas I've been trying to configure my PC for the last 1 1/2 months to get the buggy software to work).

Airport Extreme is nice and fast (and very easy to find random unencrypted networks due to excellent signal strength).

Display is perfect, haven't tried many of my openGL applications but from what I've seen so far framerates are high and visual quality is good for an laptop lcd.

Expose - nice, although I don't use it too much atm...will probably be utilising this tool when I get my JOGL framework setup.

I'll post some nice little pictures later in the day..

Although a longer than expected wait, the package came in the end and I have no doubts that I made the correct decision.

[you also get lots of ooohhs and ahhhs from people passing the wireless areas on campus )

• Reply 35 of 48
    what's that red thing up right? a sticker?

Quote:

Airport Extreme is nice and fast (and very easy to find random unencrypted networks due to excellent signal strength).

That's good news indeed Happy wardriving

Mine was picked up yesterday by TNT and is now somewhere in Europe, I guess it must be in Estonia by now (anywhere where it does not belong is ok, actually).

The guy from Kühne & Nagel did call me and gave me the number of the guy responsible for airfreight to Zürich. Unfortunately they don't seem to deliver it to Zürich, otherwise it wouldn't have been picked up by TNT in Eindhoven, or whatever. (I think that is actually the Apple HQ in Europe).

SO if I'm lucky, and assuming TNT does not like to take 4 day breaks, I might even get it this week yet. I don't believe it really, though.

G-News
  • Reply 36 of 48
    red thing - yes, it is a sticker - informing you of what button to press to eject cds/dvds.

A number of other things:

Bootup time: relatively quite speedy for me at around 37 seconds. Shutdown, restart is almost instantaneous which helps when your in a rush.

Battery lifetime: seems good to me so far - around 4-5 hours depending on my type of work.

G-News: Have you received your package yet? You surely must have it by now??

My sleeve arrived today from the states, which I'll be able to pick up after work on campus tonight so hopefully it's as minimal, sleek and slender as what it's going to house.

Not a single crash so far (touch white (plastic looking) wood)...

ribot.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    I got them today.

Set them up in a few minutes, very nice machines.

Will have to do some more testing and playing for further info.

You'll find that on a major Mac site in the near future.

G-News
  • Reply 38 of 48
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Any info on the screen? is it brighter than the old ones?
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Damn you all! Mine left Lux. on the 10th, but no more information since then! I tried phoning the Support number, but after holding for 24 min. I gave up. What a bad way to start the mac ownership experience...
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Wow Matt we have had exactly the same experience! My girlfriends new iBook G4 is still on its way from Luxembourg since the 10th and no sign of it! Cant get through to Apple on the Phone, it really sux! Apple shipping in the UK is notoriously bad but this is ridiculous! WHERE IS OUR NEW IBOOK????!!! We should have just got it from John Lewis, I hear they now have stock.....