Mmmm. Sci Fi nirvana?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/large.html

Alien vs. Predator, the movie.

This could possibly be the coolest scifi movie of all time!

of course, there's almost a year to wait, but how could it go wrong? well, ok, it might just suck hard, but i'll go see it anyway.

best crossover ever.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/featurette/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    I've been waiting for this day since I play AVP on Super NES......I'd wait another two if I had too.....this is insane.

Even if it does suck at least I'll get to see PRedator blow the shiat out of Aliens, and vice versa.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/large.html

Alien vs. Predator, the movie.

This could possibly be the coolest scifi movie of all time!

of course, there's almost a year to wait, but how could it go wrong? well, ok, it might just suck hard, but i'll go see it anyway.

best crossover ever.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/featurette/

Are you, like , 11 years old?
  • Reply 3 of 63
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I am astonished by the originality of this movie.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    the premise about the battle being how we lost the incas, etc. is interesting
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Are you, like , 11 years old?

I don't really mean to attack you here, but I do mean to raise a somewhat biting question in response.

If it makes you feel better about yourself, that you think you're above watching a summer action blockbuster, that's fine, but you don't need to criticize other folks who have different, yet inconsequential, opinions. I don't see what's the point of judging the movie as "juvenile." It's a summer action blockbuster, and it's the kind of movie I (and apparently others who aren't 11) feel fine about paying money to see. I can see other movies as well, some of which may be more sensible according to your standards.

Maybe if there were a smilie there or some indication of simulated inflection, I wouldn't put this in the "arrogant continental bourgeois" file . . a file I very much detest.

As for the movie, I thought about it for a while, and I can't imagine how the Predator would lose. First of all, it takes Arnold to beat him. On the silverscreen, arnold is invincible. Second of all, in "Aliens" a human military team takes down all sorts of aliens. I would guess that the Predator is somewhat more capable than a human military team.

Of course, I have a feeling that in a few years time this will be in my DVD collection. Hooray for action movies.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I don't really mean to attack you here, but I do mean to raise a somewhat biting question in response.

If it makes you feel better about yourself, that you think you're above watching a summer action blockbuster, that's fine, but you don't need to criticize other folks who have different, yet inconsequential, opinions. I don't see what's the point of judging the movie as "juvenile." It's a summer action blockbuster, and it's the kind of movie I (and apparently others who aren't 11) feel fine about paying money to see. I can see other movies as well, some of which may be more sensible according to your standards.

See my new sig for reference.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    For a while I had written "Please don't use the clichéd 'It's only a joke' as an effortless way to back out," but I removed that line as part of my quest to not be an asshole.

Still, there are elegant and simple ways to simulate inflection on a messageboard. Use them. You've been around long enough that to me your 'it's only a joke' line doesn't really carry a lot of weight.

I really don't like snapping at people, but I simply can't stand it when opinions are belittled with little circumstance, especially from sources who claim tolerance to be in their mantras. I'm sure you know this kind of thing happens way too much, so if it's not your intent please make it proactively obvious.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Alien and Predator were two movies that really were excellent for their genre. They also had lousy sequels too (Aliens excluded). But there was a large comic book series, line of books and now video games. So its expected that Hollywood would grasp the chance to bring them on screen, fine!

We grow up, but some of us wish we were kids again...so Anders..."grow up" and be a kid again sometime.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I still want to see Star Trek vs. Star Wars. Can you imagine Neelix vs. Jar Jar?

• Reply 10 of 63
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Oh, alien vs predator will be great. The premise is great, and now that computers are so cheap the special effects will probably be worth it.

Look at the matrix. Both films are pop culture garbage injected with the philosophy of a 13-year-old on acid for the first time (and they even made reloaded little more than a musical), but I'm excited as anyone to see the machine world.

In the same way, alien and predator are both so great and special effects are cheap enough that they would have to make some major mistakes to screw it up to where it's no longer worth the trip to the movie theater.

Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I still want to see Star Trek vs. Star Wars. Can you imagine Neelix vs. Jar Jar?

I'd love it, so long as they fight to the death and both lose.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

I'd love it, so long as they fight to the death and both lose. [/B]

Beat me to it.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    There should be a video game like this!

I'm psyched. I almost hate knowing about these things so far ahead though... damn that's a long time to wait.

Could be a very cool movie.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the PC version of Alien vs. Predator is the only game i've played in my entire life where i was actually scared.

throw some good headphones on and play at night and you'll understand.

i think they have the Mac version too now.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

the PC version of Alien vs. Predator is the only game i've played in my entire life where i was actually scared.

throw some good headphones on and play at night and you'll understand.

i think they have the Mac version too now.

I did that a few times, scared the shit out of me when I was the marine. Friggin face eater dropped on my head and I was about 5 feet from the exit.....I haven't played since.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I think that Calvin and Hobbes had the best crossover idea ever:

Tyrannosaurs in F-16s!

Now that would make a movie.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I cringe when I think of any of the alien films being related to the first great movie . . . . they don't even compare . . Alien one was a master piece of Film Noir . .

Predator was a good summer action film but doesn't compare to the serious depth and, as the NYtimes said recently, the "existential anxiety" of the first Alien movie

The combination of the two is just another cheap marketing gimmick probably inspired by Jason vs Halloween --or whatever that was called-- and will be forgotten before you get in your cars . . . you'll be more satisfied by the popcorn which at least will have a little nutrients . .

I think that Sci-Fi is a wasted genre . . . there are, unfortunately, very rarely decent Sci Fi films . . . .Alien 1, Blade Runner, 2001 . . . and even truly good Sci Fi novels are few and far between
  • Reply 17 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

I think that Calvin and Hobbes had the best crossover idea ever:

Tyrannosaurs in F-16s!

Now that would make a movie.

Without a doubt the single best idea dropped down from the heavens and into mankinds cranium.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

I cringe when I think of any of the alien films being related to the first great movie . . . . they don't even compare . . Alien one was a master piece of Film Noir . .

Predator was a good summer action film but doesn't compare to the serious depth and, as the NYtimes said recently, the "existential anxiety" of the first Alien movie

The combination of the two is just another cheap marketing gimmick probably inspired by Jason vs Halloween --or whatever that was called-- and will be forgotten before you get in your cars . . . you'll be more satisfied by the popcorn which at least will have a little nutrients . .

I think that Sci-Fi is a wasted genre . . . there are, unfortunately, very rarely decent Sci Fi films . . . .Alien 1, Blade Runner, 2001 . . . and even truly good Sci Fi novels are few and far between

Aliens, and most of the aliens movies where first class SF movie. Predator was a good action movie, but was not made in the same spirit.

Mixing the 2 has a very little chance to give good results. Because these 2 creatures do not belong to the same universe (action, vs fear).

Futhermore, the predator should win agaisnt the Alien easily due to his huge technical equipment. For equality the predator should have only a sword ...

I see this movie as a lame marketing gimmick in order to make money : you loved alien, you loved predator, you will love Alien vs Predator.

This type of confrentation can be fun in series, but i doubt it will give decent result in a movie.

It could be also fun for a video game, but in a video game you are an actor, not a viewer.

For the quality of Sci-Fi films i find you a little hard : Alien 1, Blade Runner, 2001 space Odyssey are much more than decent film, they are great movies. They mix both the metaphysical aspect and the entertainement one. They are masterpieces. You will note also, that their directors where great.

Like any other genre of Cinema, the qualitie of a movie, requires a good director, a good storie and good actors (virtual or real). A good director, like Kubrick was hysterically obsess by the qualities of his movies, he was an asshole, but he was a genius.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    I think Alien [1] is a bit overhyped. I like it, but the real genius of it was the scenery. . . As is the case with oh so many sci fi movies. (cough 2001 cough). If this movie can have some really beautiful scenery, I'm all for it. It doesn't have the thoughfulness of 2001 or perhaps Alien, but if it can be brutally gruesome in a strangely beautiful way, then I'll even put it in the "classic" boat.

And seriously, I'd put the matrix series ahead of 2001 and Blade Runner as far as sci fi. All have generally lightweight philosophical underpinnings and good visuals. I'd say that the visuals in 2001 and The Matrix are better than those in Blade Runner, but unlike 2001, the matrix manages to have extremely fitting visual tones while maintaining a constant level of astonishment and stunning sequence.

If there are three ingredients for good sci fi (lightweight philosophy, awesome visuals, and stunning sequences) and if Alien vs. Predator has two of them, that's certainly good enough.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

injected with the philosophy of a 13-year-old on acid for the first time (and they even made reloaded little more than a musical), but I'm excited as anyone to see the machine world.

I don't know about you, but the 13 year-olds around me don't know enough about Nietzche to read that rave scene in "Reloaded" as a depiction of Dionysian Rapture straight out of "The Birth of Tragedy."

I think that's the brilliance of those Matrix movies: they offer the kind of stoner deepness that appeals to a broad swath of Western culture (e.g. "How do I know that the color blue to you is the color blue to me?"), they also are deeply, deeply rooted in Lacan, Foucault, Nietzche, Plato, and a broad range of star players in Western philosophy.

Cheers

Scott