Obligatory Matrix Revolutions SPOILER THREAD

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
All right, so I just got back from el teatro and I have to say it was pretty damn good for the most part. A relief that it wasn't just "A Matrix within a Matrix" type deal, but that Neo really had the ability to exert some form of control or energy against the machines in the real world. That he ended up blindly going through the last stage was a very neat twist I think. That Trinity died (and then him) was also refreshing. I would have yakked if they both ended up kissing on a sunset or something.

Speaking of which, the very end was a little hokey but the ending itself was very good IMO. I was kind of hoping to see a "10 years later" scene with colonies of humans rebuilding among the rubble, maybe Morpheus and Naiobi have a kid... or something like that. Just to get a feel for what's next, and maybe end it with a sarcastic joke / laugh for the audience rather than the cheezy, huggy kissy sunrise with the Oracle and the little kid.

Also some ends left untied:

1A. Where the hell is the powerplant going to get its energy from, now that the architect indicates the remaining people who are "plugged in" are to be "freed, obviously"? Or, is that the "level of survival we're willing to accept" in the Reloaded scene with Neo? Maybe they need much less energy now that they don't have to run the Matrix for millions of human minds? Even so... definite loose end and an obvious one.

1B. What's to become of all the machinery / cities that undoubtedly have no "purpose" any longer?

2. Is this REALLY the last installment? I am suspecting not, though I have no idea where you go from here, while still making it interesting / somewhat unpredictable.

3. Did the Oracle have to "switch skins" because the Wachowski brothers had another defector (like Tank from the first movie)?

4. What did Smith mean when he replied "You should know, Mom" to the Oracle when she called him a bastard for (killing / raping?) that little girl? The whole mother / father of the Matrix thing (Oracle and Architect respectively)?

Overall I thought the dialogs and action mix were better in this one than Reloaded and the acting was pretty good too. Wish the Merovingian had remained in the movie longer than he did. Interesting character. The fight scenes were also very good though the last one I thought the "fighting while floating " / "zoom float" things were overdone / confusing. Smith's final dialog was good too, but I thought it would lead to why he is the way he is.

I guess it's as simple as him being the yang to Neo's yin / the negative integral anomoly? Anyway, good flick. I'm impressed more than I thought I'd be.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    This is what I meant my thread to be, but OK, I'll try not to have thread envy.

So can you explain more about how Neo could affect the machines at the end of Reloaded? I thought the matrix-within-a-matrix was the only was to explain that - did he gain telekinetic abilities or something? \
  • Reply 2 of 102
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Sorry B.

I saw the other thread earlier today but I didn't see any spoilers in there so I didn't want to piss someone off who was about to go see it... usually the "spoiler thread" has the same in the title so I just figured that one was for general pre-viewing discussion.

As far as Neo, all I can figure is that, even though there had been five previous "Ones" in the generations before him (confirmed by the Oracle), he was still different from the rest. I don't know if he derived his powers from having a more open mind / strength from Trinity (or what) but he very clearly has a gift they did not have.

As we saw in many of the fight scenes in the last two movies, there are many people who appear to have super-human fighting abilities / are Smack-Fu Masters, etc. But Neo had an ability to sense the presence of the machines and hold up some kind of kinetic barrier to them. It's not like he was shooting lightning bolts from his hand. More like a force field of some sort that you can't see but it disrupts the machines.

Towards the end of Revolutions, he and Trinity took a hovercraft into the Machine city and even though he was physically blind, he could see everything in terms of its "energy siloutte". He saw what you could consider to be the "life source" of everything there -- humans, machines, etc. And as they flew towards the main objective, the machines unleashed a hellish firestorm of those little squid-bombs, electrical bolts, etc... and he basically deflected them all if the approached from the front of the ship.

[It was this same ability to see the energy behind a physical object (including people) that allowed him to defeat the physical incarnation of Agent Smith, who snuck aboard that same hovercraft before it left for the city. Smith incarnate thought Neo was blind because he had stuck a live wire against his face a moment before, but what he didn't realize was he saw Agent Smith as a sort of fiery figure (similar to how he saw the Oracle's body guard (forget his name) for the first time.

Speaking of which, that body guard played a big role in this movie. Was a good addition.]

That's about all the more it has sunk in to this point but it was pretty cool.
  • Reply 3 of 102
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Is there any "Matrix"-style fighting in the real world?
  • Reply 4 of 102
    sigh can't wait to go see it. I read your posts and I still understand...
  • Reply 5 of 102
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Did the Oracle have to "switch skins" because the Wachowski brothers had another defector (like Tank from the first movie)?

First off, the actor who played Tank did not defect. The Wachowskis simply didn't call him back for Reloaded/Revolutions and he later sued because of it.

Second, the actress who played the original Oracle (Gloria Foster) passed away shortly after finishing her scenes for Reloaded. The Wachowskis were forced to alter the story of Revolutions in order to explain the Oracle's new physical appearance.

Also, I didn't get the impression that the machines would disengage the Matrix. The humans' "victory" lied in the fact that they could settle Zion in peace without worrying about Sentinel intrusions; humans and machines could share the Earth instead of competing for it. I felt the Architect's statement referred to freeing those who are born inside the Matrix but reject it, much like Morpheus, Neo, Trinity, etc. Admittedly, I only saw it this morning but this was what I gathered.
  • Reply 6 of 102
    Placebo,

There was some fighting, but it wasn't the wire-fu stuff obviously because you can't defy gravity in the real world. However the body Agent Smith took over and Neo did have out on board a hover craft. Neo was blinded and beaten badly but ultimately won by smacking him down with krow bar of some kind.

cooop,

So you are thinking that the infants left in the fields will continue to power the machines... until... when? At some point the energy will run out. I took it to mean anyone hooked up, will be unhooked if possible. Maybe not.

Thanks for pointing out the issue about the actress who originally played the Oracle. I hadn't realized she passed on; wasn't trying to be insensitive. Also, I just mean by "defect" that I was aware there was some kind of dispute over money / the contuing role of Tank in the second movie....

One other thing I didn't know for sure: was the Architect the "voice" behind the God-like machine that spoke to Neo (a la Wizard of Oz), or not necessarily? And why do I have about 15 fewer posts than the last time I came in here?

More server issues?
  • Reply 7 of 102
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    The core did not allow Neo to infiltrate its system and destroy Smith just to turn right around and surrender itself to the humans. At the end of Revolutions, the Matrix remains just as it always had. The only thing that changed, in fact, was the machines' behavior towards humans. Because Neo sacrificed himself for the machines, the machines allowed the humans to keep Zion, thus preserving the free human race. This doesn't mean that the machines have given up their existance; the Matrix continues and with it human bondage. The difference, however, is that Zion and its inhabitants can flourish without fear of machine retaliation.

Again, this is just what I gathered.
  • Reply 8 of 102
    Ahhh. So they just keep reproducing humans as they always have, placing them in the Matrix, meanwhile the people of Zion will in fact, stay where they are... they just don't have to fear the machines terrorizing them any longer?
  • Reply 9 of 102
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    I just got back from seeing it. I am pretty much confused. What was that little girl? The last exile is what she was referred to as. What is an exile? Also, there was alot more zion footage/real world footage than I expected. I thought the Merovingian's control of the subway / a world inbetween from the matrix and the real world was interesting. I loved the neo & agent smith fight scene at the end. The flying fighting was maybe a bit overdone, (much like the fight scenes in Reloaded), however, I think it will grow on me. My favorite part was Neo's punch through the raindrops in slow-mo. That was incredible. One last note, Neo was lying on the machine platform at the end like he was crucified. The resemblence to Jesus or whatever is striking through all 3 movies... Matrix = life / rising again....Reloaded = a continuation of "rising again"... and Revolutions = Sacrificing, a.k.a, the crucifiction. I am hoping someone explains the movie so I am not so confused.
  • Reply 10 of 102
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Man, I lost track of what everything "means", after which I was just watching the movie simply as a sequence of cool scenes.

Was the Matrix world reset again at the end of the movie, or did everything just self-repair and everything proceeds where it left off as if nothing ever happenned?

I was warned of a dark ending as per the "Wachowski style", but I didn't think the ending was dark at all. So that was somewhat of a letdown. I was getting a bit bored through the first 3/4 of the movie. Seems like all the action came down in a torrential storm in the last 1/4. At that point, I can't really say this was a "must-see" movie, rather an "important to see movie" just so you can find out how the trilogy ends. As a 3rd sequel, I'd rate it as mediocre to average. The last 1/4 of the movie is still a visual spectacle, naturally. I liked the slo-mo punching Smith close-up scene.

Monica Belucci makes a splendid appearance with that monster rack.

I'd have to say the 2nd movie was the best in special effects and action. However, the 1st movie is still the best of the bunch for its story and overall production, IMO. The 3rd was just a quintessential installment to give closure.
  • Reply 11 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Ahhh. So they just keep reproducing humans as they always have, placing them in the Matrix, meanwhile the people of Zion will in fact, stay where they are... they just don't have to fear the machines terrorizing them any longer?

At the very end of the movie the oracle and the architect have a small talk. I can't remember the specific dialogue, but the oracle asks the architect if he will keep his promise and let those leave who want to. So from what I gather from that conversation, the machines will allow those leave who want to. It would probably be a disaster for those who don't even know about the matrix anyway (psychologically at least).
  • Reply 12 of 102
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Monica Belucci makes a splendid appearance with that monster rack.

someone told me she pulled a sharon stone (i.e. didn't have on underwear) in that scene from reloaded where she is sitting at the table. i didn't see the movie again, but was it true?
  • Reply 13 of 102
    did anyone notice that the movie (especially the last fight scene) went just like a Japanese anime. It was like watching a really cool scene of dragon-ball Z.

And also, those who want to leave the matrix can, and people can leave and go to the surface if there is anything left for them.

and anyone who hasn't seen the animatrix, there an episode or two that shows when and why the machines took over in the first place, and how the actions of man caused it. you should watch it also and that will

tie in a couple loose questions.

late

sean

the movie was Great!!!!!
  • Reply 14 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

someone told me she pulled a sharon stone (i.e. didn't have on underwear) in that scene from reloaded where she is sitting at the table. i didn't see the movie again, but was it true?

I don't recall a scene like that. The closest thing sounding like that is the zoom in to the random blonde dining at a table (who ate the cheesecake concocted by the Frenchman). Of course, it dissolved into Matrix-digital vision by time a beaver shot was imminent.

No great loss, IMO. Vag isn't exactly great to look at. It's all about the cleavage- the sweet, milky smooth cleavage...
  • Reply 15 of 102
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by facelike

It was like watching a really cool scene of dragon-ball Z.

you mean there are actually cool scenes of dragon-ball Z?
  • Reply 16 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by sok

When she is guiding the crew down to get the key-master guy, you can see her pubes.

as for Revolutions...where do I begin?

I enjoyed it, face value, it was good. I thought that hte beginning seemed a little rushed, since it was just wham wham wham! answer answer answer; very direct. the merovingian stuff was great, I liked that whole upside down fight scene. it was a cheap gimmick, but something about it was very enjoyable.

The ending...I don't really know what to say...it was a 'safe' ending I think, fairly 'vanilla' and bland. I had heard many theories a lot more interesting, and I had come up with some of my own that I felt were more fulfilling.

I think my biggest problem right now with it is, that I went in expecting a DOOZY, or a really really elegant and creative ending.

It was a half-ending sort of, and I would not be surprised if the matrix continues in someway...more movies, books, animations, video games...etc.

I have already heard tell of the matrix online MMOG that is designed to extend the series and give more to it or whatever.

Laurence Fishbourne is on conan right now..I'm distracted...I'll write more later, I guess....
  • Reply 17 of 102
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    Man, I must say, the movie was fantastic, but I'm a bit saddened to know that Trinity and Neo are dead. I mean, I really can't see another way for it to end, especially once Trinity died, but still.

That's great that at the end, Neo realized fighting Smith was futile, so he gave himself up and allowed the Core to erase Smith from him, and ultimately, all of the Matrix inhabitants.

Oh, and someone asked about the little girl. The little girl was an obsolete program that was about be erased, but her "parents" (probably the programs that wrote her) made a deal with Merv (lol I cracked up when Trinity called him that) to allow her to remain in the Matrix. Given the conclusion, the little girl probably controlled the weather (remember when Smith asked Neo if he liked what he had done with the Matrix? He had copied himself over to the girl, that's why he was able to change the weather. Also, when he copied himself to the Oracle, he was able to see himself standing over Neo).

Anyway, good movie; kinda sad.
  • Reply 18 of 102
    I am back from watching it a second time. It seemed to go even faster than the first. I realized there are really only two cool scenes in the matrix, and only maybe three to four total. The one in the trainstation, the one at the Merovingian, the Oracle's house, and the Neo-Smith fight scene. The rest was in Zion. One other question, Were the Oracle and Architect in the matrix at the end? At first thought, I thought they weren't because of the surreal look of the buildings/landscape. However, upon further thinking, it can't be because the land was totally destroyed, and nothing was left (as seen in The first Matrix, and Animatrix). So, to what I am getting at... I think the matrix still exists, but the machines and humans will co-exist, and the machines and matrix world are now going to be slowly weeded out as more and more people become free.
  • Reply 19 of 102
    To what Gambit said: I was thinking that the core destroyed Smith as well, but I am not sure how that works. For one, how does destroying one destroy all the others. Also, that makes sense about the girl, and how she controlled weather, like you said, she asks the oracle if Neo would like what she did, and also, how it was Smith had himself copied into her. It makes sense why she ends up lying on the same pavement where the neo/smith fight scene took place. This is the type of thinking and explaining I like to have, Thanks
  • Reply 20 of 102
    Maybe it is just like an antivirus program that runs on your computer? Once you have the "key", you can eradicate all instances of the virus by just scanning through the entire system.