G5 "fastest computer" ad banned in UK; deemed false advertising

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Granted I'd rather live in Britain than anywhere else in Western Europe, Britain is, indeed, part of Europe.

Secondly, by this logic all of those dumb BMW ads should be banned. "The Ultimate Driving Machine." Oh yeah? Sounds like I can prove wrong. There are cars that accelerate harder, turn sharper, and break faster than BMW's.

At least here in Finland, you can use this kind of words in advertising - ultimate, best, etc. quite freely because they are so general they cannot be "proven" wrong either. If you make specific and measurable claims then you will be accountable for them.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Ok, back on topic ( calmed down )

Apple may of had its 'contreversial' ad bumped, but it also has its fingers in other pies.

I just watched this for the first time and for you non UK folk i'll try and describe. It's a TV ad for the independant newspaper, they have bought out a mini newspaper and this is how their advertising it....

Camera pans around the usual full size newspaper and then pans around an imac, then pans over to the new mini newspaper and then to an ibook. It then shows the ibook and imac sitting next together and then the two newspapers side by side and then gives the slogan "Two sizes, No less information" During the shot of the macs you can clearly see the apple logo and the names of the models.

Apple seems to do a lot of this ad sharing with all kinds of companies. So its not all doom and gloom on the apple advertising campaign.

Edit: Given us brits usual sense of humour, they could of done this with two different size condoms, but then no-one would buy the new newspaper. I just wonder how many blokes would of said to their wifes "See told you it was all a myth!"
  • Reply 23 of 60
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    Every second company is claiming worlds fastest this, longest that, best, smallest, most features, lowest prices, best value, guarantee this, warranty that blah blah blah - its all bs. Every second TV ad I cant help but laugh out of cynicism.

Marketing companies should stay away from such claims, unfortunately majority of cunsumers wont be bothered to take the time to research products to find whats best for their needs.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Yep. Maybe the UK's just not tolerating the "hey look, I'm the best" campaign without fine print of proof. But I dunno. 8)
  • Reply 25 of 60
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

As for your belgium laws m8 you can shove them right up yer kyber, i mean you try to stop us selling in pounds and ounces just because you frenchies (and yes we all know belgium is really france) cant do yer maths.

Wow. Someone should give you all a tissue. The horror! The horror!

And no, I didn't know Belgium is really France. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Reply 26 of 60
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Apple has always over inflated its claims...Modesty was never one of Steve Jobs best cards....

re advertising bans...so what..at least you get Ads for Apple on TV.

In Australia, Apple hasn't shown its face on TV for the last ten years..

so dumb.....

\
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Apple has always over inflated its claims...Modesty was never one of Steve Jobs best cards....

re advertising bans...so what..at least you get Ads for Apple on TV.

In Australia, Apple hasn't shown its face on TV for the last ten years..

so dumb.....

\

I have seen a TV ad for the G5 on Sydney TV... u must be from Melbourne
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

The G5 is actually kinda slow now.

Maybe for a power user like some people are here, but you set a G5 in front of the average computer user (a good percentage of the world population) and they will never be able to eat up all the ram or the processing power. There is no way that the G5 is slow.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Europeans are so touchy about their advertising.

Yea. I like the American way much better. Example: AOL and MSN ads both promising the user protection from Spam and viruses. Yes. Let's just lie all over the place. Truth is overrated anyway.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Yea. I like the American way much better. Example: AOL and MSN ads both promising the user protection from Spam and viruses. Yes. Let's just lie all over the place. Truth is overrated anyway.

I wonder if there will ever be a point where consumers will have been fed so much BS that they will not believe any claims that get advertisied?
  • Reply 31 of 60
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Ugh!?

It's not because your leader aspires schlong-licker-dom for the US president that you do not belong to the EU, and are as bound by its unanimous decisions as the next EU member. You are MORE European than many European countries.

Ugh. Must burn Karma and unsheath the fist of death.

You're from Belgium? You are from hell and yet you wonder why some Brits might not want to join your happy regulatory union. Why not just unleash some laws on your European neighbors and be done with it? No, you have to get into name calling. As an aside, learn to use proper grammar when making insults about another nation's prime minister. I can't tell you how happy my European coworkers (French, Spanish and Swiss) are to be free from the eternal regulatory purgatory you are creating.

And don't complain to me that the Guardian is a right wing neocon rag.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Seriously folks, For Apple to be right, they only would need to show one benchmark in which they have a faster double multiplication operation running than any of the other desktop competition.

If the UK cares so much about the correctness of its ads, then I would love to see their beer ads. I am sure that they don't lie, distort, or stretch reality one bit
  • Reply 33 of 60
    They just need to bitchslap 'em with the Virgina Tech supercomputer cluster.

"Okay..... so maybe we've only got the world's third fastest computers period. Sorry 'bout that."
  • Reply 34 of 60
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

On a geographical slant then yeah, but as a STATE!!!!!! Outside right now!!!

@ #2 hercule poirot was in denial, its a classic case.

Oh Cybermonkey, what a twat you are!

We are in the EU. We have been for ages. We're not in the euro (yet).
  • Reply 35 of 60
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

... twat ...

Can somebody explain me precisely what a twat here ?
  • Reply 36 of 60
    TWAT means cunt powerdoc.

As for you harold you want to get down to name calling then bring it on.

We may have one leg in the eu m8 but the majority of the nation doesn't want britain to be run from belgium. We may have perfetic laws being impossed on us by those belgium beuracrats, But no-one really wants to be in it. whats the latest one? Oh yeah, Our north sea oil fields are'nt ours any more And, we can't fish our own seas The likes of Der Kopf just want to piss off and go and do what Begium's do best and masterbate in a dark corner. Like Yevgeny said you want to make laws that affect the states that are fully fledged members and stop appressing countries that dont want yer yellow frelling stars!
  • Reply 37 of 60
    This is a joke/troll right. No real British person would make so many flagrant spelling/grammar mistakes

Perfetic -> Pathetic (??)

Belgium's -> Belgians

masterbate -> masturbate

appressing -> oppressing

frelling's not even a real word!
  • Reply 38 of 60
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Some fallacies you splendid-isolationists commit:

1) Belgium is not the boss of the Union. Everything that is decided is decided in agreement (unanimously) by ALL members. There is quantitative representation, or whatever you want to call it, making sure that bigger members have more say in what goes down. It may surprise you all, judging by your tone, but we, on occasions when we are not masturbating in a dark corner (what is up with that? we do not masturbate any more or less, and don't necessesarily need a dark corner, moreover, we weren't the ones inventing the Spice Girls and Atomic Kitten, to aid the softer, more lenient males with their exercise), are just a relatively small country. Ten million people. That's about 1 quarter or less of Spain, and 1 eighth of Germany, and sometime else still of the UK (1 sixth?). So we have less Euro-MPs than all of those, about the amount of Ireland. The exact number you will find on some official site.

2) Your government took away your thumbs, elbows and infected toenails, or whatever unit you used to measure your tuna salad. Not my, or France's or Germany's or Greece's or whatever. And YOUR police is checking your stores to see if they are all complying.

You see, for some reason, you are all fooled by this device that seems to leave your leaders in the clear: all regulations that are unpopular 'come from Europe', so bitch to those a-holes. Whereas your leaders have had the power to stop any regulation if they'd wanted to. Of course, these double-spies couldn't be working on a double agenda... or could they?

As to that link: who reads tabloids anyway? If it's that bad, you had better put all Belgians on a train and gas them dead. There are few excuses for belligerent nationalism.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

This is a joke/troll right. No real British person would make so many flagrant spelling/grammar mistakes

Perfetic -> Pathetic (??)

Belgium's -> Belgians

masterbate -> masturbate

appressing -> oppressing

frelling's not even a real word!

It's early and not all brits have degree's in english. As for frelling its a lot more civil than ing and bypasses the . As for trolling, well i guess your trolling by being pedantic
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Some fallacies you splendid-isolationists commit:

1) Belgium is not the boss of the Union. Everything that is decided is decided in agreement (unanimously) by ALL members. There is quantitative representation, or whatever you want to call it, making sure that bigger members have more say in what goes down. It may surprise you all, judging by your tone, but we, on occasions when we are not masturbating in a dark corner (what is up with that? we do not masturbate any more or less, and don't necessesarily need a dark corner, moreover, we weren't the ones inventing the Spice Girls and Atomic Kitten, to aid the softer, more lenient males with their exercise), are just a relatively small country. Ten million people. That's about 1 quarter or less of Spain, and 1 eighth of Germany, and sometime else still of the UK (1 sixth?). So we have less Euro-MPs than all of those, about the amount of Ireland. The exact number you will find on some official site.

2) Your government took away your thumbs, elbows and infected toenails, or whatever unit you used to measure your tuna salad. Not my, or France's or Germany's or Greece's or whatever. And YOUR police is checking your stores to see if they are all complying.

You see, for some reason, you are all fooled by this device that seems to leave your leaders in the clear: all regulations that are unpopular 'come from Europe', so bitch to those a-holes. Whereas your leaders have had the power to stop any regulation if they'd wanted to. Of course, these double-spies couldn't be working on a double agenda... or could they?

As to that link: who reads tabloids anyway? If it's that bad, you had better put all Belgians on a train and gas them dead. There are few excuses for belligerent nationalism.

Believe me tony blair is not in the clear. What you fail to point out is that these laws are thought up by non-english beurocrats that is then put to the vote of a majority of non-english MP's. This is the point, we dont want french,germans, italians etc telling us how we should live our lifes. So whats wrong with being a nationalist?