Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls... up for grabs 40GB 2.5" HD...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here's the story...

I recently got 2.5" 60GB 7200 RPM HD, which i plan to install into 15" ALboook.

Stock 80GB, goes into FW case, currently occupied by 2.5" 40GB 5400RPM 8MB cache IBM Travelstar GNX HD.

Basically i want to keep stock HD, in case i want to sell this comp.

And here comes the best part...

Because of all help, i received from all of you people (not to mention good laughs during long working hours), i have decided to 'donate' this HD to appleinsider community.

Now, i have no idea how we should do it, so let's gather few ideas, maybe some sort of a contest, or such...

Let's agree on something, then pick a winner.

Sounds OK?

Any participants are welcome.

And no this is not a scam.

Thanks guys!

Here are the specs

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Free room and board for 1 day in Canada.
  • Reply 2 of 112
    i'll whore my mod title again.

it gets easier after the first time.....
  • Reply 3 of 112
    REQUEST FOR URGENT BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP

FIRST, I MUST SOLICIT YOUR STRICTEST CONFIDENCE IN THIS TRANSACTION. THIS IS BY VIRTUE OF ITS NATURE AS BEING UTTERLY CONFIDENTIAL AND 'TOP SECRET'. I AM SURE AND HAVE CONFIDENCE OF YOUR ABILITY AND RELIABILITY TO PROSECUTE A TRANSACTION OF THIS GREAT MAGNITUDE INVOLVING A PENDING TRANSACTION REQUIRING MAXIIMUM CONFIDENCE.

WE ARE TOP OFFICIAL OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT CONTRACT REVIEW PANEL WHO ARE INTERESTED IN IMPORATION OF HARDRIVES INTO OUR COUNTRY WITH FILES WHICH ARE PRESENTLY TRAPPED IN NIGERIA. IN ORDER TO COMMENCE THIS BUSINESS WE SOLICIT YOUR ASSISTANCE TO ENABLE US TRANSFER INTO YOUR HARDRIVE THE SAID TRAPPED FILES.

THE SOURCE OF THESE FILES IS AS FOLLOWS; DURING THE LAST MILITARY REGIME HERE IN NIGERIA, THE GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS SET UP COMPANIES AND AWARDED THEMSELVES CONTRACTS WHICH WERE GROSSLY OVER-INVOICED IN VARIOUS MINISTRIES. THE PRESENT CIVILIAN GOVERNMENT SET UP A CONTRACT REVIEW PANEL AND WE HAVE IDENTIFIED A LOT OF POTENTIAL NEEDS FOR HARDRIVES IN THE CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA.

HOWEVER, BY VIRTUE OF OUR POSITION AS CIVIL SERVANTS AND MEMBERS OF THIS PANEL, WE CANNOT ACQUIRE THESE HARDRIVES IN OUR NAMES. I HAVE THEREFORE, BEEN DELEGATED AS A MATTER OF TRUST BY MY COLLEAGUES OF THE PANEL TO LOOK FOR AN OVERSEAS PARTNER INTO WHOSE HARDRIVES WE WOULD TRANSFER US 38.4GB(THIRTY EIGHT POINT FOUR U.S GIGABYTES) OF HOT RIAA MP3 FILES. HENCE WE ARE WRITING YOU THIS LETTER. WE HAVE AGREED TO SHARE THE MP3S FOR THE ACCOUNT OWNER. IT IS FOR THIS HARDRIVE THAT WE WISH TO COMMENCE THE IMPORTATION BUSINESS.

PLEASE,NOTE THAT THIS TRANSACTION IS 100% SAFE AND WE HOPE TO COMMENCE THE TRANSFER LATEST SEVEN (7) BANKING DAYS FROM THE DATE OF THE RECEIPT OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATIOM BY TEL/FAX; 234-1-7740449, YOUR COMPANY'S SIGNED, AND STAMPED LETTERHEAD PAPER THE ABOVE INFORMATION WILL ENABLE US WRITE LETTERS OF CLAIM AND JOB DESCRIPTION RESPECTIVELY. THIS WAY WE WILL USE YOUR COMPANY'S NAME TO APPLY FOR PAYMENT AND RE-AWARD THE CONTRACT IN YOUR COMPANY'S NAME.

WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO DOING THIS BUSINESS WITH YOU AND SOLICIT YOUR CONFIDENTIALITY IN THIS TRANSATION. PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE THE RECEIPT OF THIS LETTER USING THE ABOVE TEL/FAX NUMBERS. I WILL SEND YOU DETAILED INFORMATION OF THIS PENDING PROJECT WHEN I HAVE HEARD FROM YOU.

YOURS FAITHFULLY,

DR CLEMENT OKON

NOTE; PLEASE QUOTE THIS REFERENCE NUMBER (VE/S/09/99) IN ALL YOUR RESPONSES.
  • Reply 4 of 112
    (VE/S/09/99)

Where can i send you my crdit card details?

P.S. I am still waiting for the $10,000,000 from nigeria to be transfered to my bank account where i will gladly pass it on. Which reminds me, isnt £5000 a bit steep to help you? I can only assume it's all caught up in redtape somewhere.\
  • Reply 5 of 112
    Dude, I'll save you the trouble and just take the drive.

Edit: Scarecrow...what the heck?
  • Reply 6 of 112
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Edit: Scarecrow...what the heck?

He's copying a certain type of junk email. I've gotten a few - basically they say they're from some other country, and they need a discreet US bank account to deposit $12 million or something, and in return for letting them use your bank account they'll let you have a certain percentage again. Of course, it's just a ploy to get your bank account information.

First time I got one I had never heard of that particular kind of spam so I actually read it through, but it's pretty obviously a scam.
  • Reply 7 of 112
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

Here's the story...

I recently got 2.5" 60GB 7200 RPM HD, which i plan to install into 15" ALboook.

Stock 80GB, goes into FW case, currently occupied by 2.5" 40GB 5400RPM 8MB cache IBM Travelstar GNX HD.

Basically i want to keep stock HD, in case i want to sell this comp.

And here comes the best part...

Because of all help, i received from all of you people (not to mention good laughs during long working hours), i have decided to 'donate' this HD to appleinsider community.

Now, i have no idea how we should do it, so let's gather few ideas, maybe some sort of a contest, or such...

Let's agree on something, then pick a winner.

Sounds OK?

Any participants are welcome.

And no this is not a scam.

Thanks guys!

Here are the specs

if u give it to me I wont post here again until 2004
  • Reply 8 of 112
  • Reply 9 of 112
    OK...

If we won't get any contest going, i will give it a week and then winner will be determined from people replying to that thread.

so next Tuesday, 3PM.

also, please, indicate if you are interested in your reply.

I don't want to point fingers but SCARECROW, cybermonkey and Luca ?

Are u interested?

• Reply 10 of 112
    How about a chess competition?

We could like exchange moves like E2 > E4 etc.

Though i wouldnt be taking part as i have no need for a 2.5 incher when i clearly have more than enough with 3.5 inches
  • Reply 11 of 112
    "also, please, indicate if you are interested in your reply.

I don't want to point fingers but SCARECROW, cybermonkey and Luca ?

Are u interested?"

I thought my post was pretty clear...

Yes, I am interested... but.. then I never win anything.. so I will probably lose this contest too..
  • Reply 12 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

How about a chess competition?

We could like exchange moves like E2 > E4 etc.

Though i wouldnt be taking part as i have no need for a 2.5 incher when i clearly have more than enough with 3.5 inches

that would take 4ever.

plus i'm 2 lazy to keep track of it, unless some volunteer will decide to step-in and help

• Reply 13 of 112
    If you send it to me, I'll put something nice about you in my signature and leave it there.....forever
  • Reply 14 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by SCARECROW

Yes, I am interested... but.. then I never win anything.. so I will probably lose this contest too..

Hey, so far your chances are fantastic...
  • Reply 15 of 112
    How about a poll then. You pick X amount of names that have said are interested in this thread, then every one else can vote for a person in the poll and the one with the highest amount in a week wins?
  • Reply 16 of 112
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I would like it. I will provide you with a signed 8x10 photo of it on my nice silver desk, with whatever that week's setup is.

How good would THAT look on your wall?

(but, uh, that is a serious "please stick my name in the hat" post)

• Reply 17 of 112
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i'd love it. those are great for backing up people's data on the fly. get one of those drives and a little bus powered IDE to firewire converter and you're good to go.
  • Reply 18 of 112
    Okay, yeah, put my name in the hat too. I didn't even read the original post in enough detail to notice that you were giving it away! So, if you'll be putting it in some sort of random drawing, put me down for that.

• Reply 19 of 112
    i am updating an old wallstreet powerbook...have added ram but i am working with a 3.8 gb hd....after installing 10.2.8 and office i only have about 800 mb for files...so i could easily use more HD space...and i most likely have the oldest laptop in use running os x...that should count for something....

so, in short and like the child i am, gimme gimme gimme

g
  • Reply 20 of 112
    Oh yeah, I can actually use it too, it won't immediately go up for sale if I get it. I have a PowerBook 1400 with only a 750 MB hard drive so although a 2-4 GB drive would suit it fine, a 40 GB would be even better.

Actually, thegelding, maybe if you get the drive I could have the old hard drive from your Wallstreet?